The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-02-2011, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

The Gefell M295 is the mic I use as a standard to compare all others. It's hard to describe how near perfect that microphone is for solo fingerstyle guitar.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:26 PM

sdelsolray,

Do you have just one 295 or do you have a matched pair? Although the M300 is a great mic, I have had my sights on the m295 for some time. I remember once you recommended that I get at least one to use along with a LDC, like the 2247LE. How are you liking those P28's?

Ty,

Thanks for the info, and I can believe how real it must sound. Even my m300s fool my wife into thinking I am really playing instead of it being a recording.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
The Gefell M295 is the mic I use as a standard to compare all others. It's hard to describe how near perfect that microphone is for solo fingerstyle guitar.
I've been using Kyser Phosphor Bronze mediums on the Martin for a few years now and I think they also make a difference.

Regards,

Ty Ford

PS not trying to highjack the thread...
Old 04-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Ty, I picked the M295 since it is designed for near field recording. The M296 is tempting but I am done spending money on mikes for the forseeable future.
Regarding recordings I have a bunch of spaced pair ones done on the M295s and on the M300s.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
sdelsolray,

Do you have just one 295 or do you have a matched pair? Although the M300 is a great mic, I have had my sights on the m295 for some time. I remember once you recommended that I get at least one to use along with a LDC, like the 2247LE. How are you liking those P28's?

I have a pair. They're wonderful. They are not factory matched per se. I did have to send one to Germany for servicing a couple of years ago and I sent the other one with it for them to match them. Gefell said they didn't need it - they were already within their matching spec.

I had a pair of Gefell M294 for many years, but sold them last year because they were so similar to the M295 pair (with eq to adjust for the design differences).

The M300 is a great mic. Like many cardioid mics, using it close (say 12" to 24") requires adjusting the track for the proximity effect. The M295 is designed to mitigate (but not eliminate) the proximity effect - it has a gentle LF shelf dip with a corner frequency of about 500 Hz. The M295 is not better than the M300, just different.

I've been experimenting more with non-matched pairs of mics lately. Excellent stereo recordings can be made with a LD and a SD, as long as I don't pan the tracks very much.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:25 PM

I got really nice results using a the Peluso 2247LE and the BLUE Kiwi. I pulled back about 4 to 5 ft from the mics, turned up the AD2022 and LA-610 pres, and the sound was incredible! Regardless of how close, the results were surprising. I had heard some reviews about the kiwi being a great all-around mic.

On the other hand, the Gefell M300, in combo with my LDC, gives exellent results for guitar and even vocals. There is something unique about how my vocals sound through the M300, a certain clarity and smoothness that seems to be unique to the Gefell.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Rick,

I forgot to answer your question about the Peluso P28. I sold my pair to a forum member last year and have somewhat regretted that decision. I've been looking for a pair of SD or MD tube mics to replace them. I tried a pair of the new Telefunken M260 - very nice but too noisy. I tried the Mojave SD tube mics - nice but not quite it (for me).

3 Zigma CHI will be releasing tube mic amp bodies soon, so I'm going to wait and check those out next given that I have the 3 Zigma capsules already.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
I've been using Kyser Phosphor Bronze mediums on the Martin for a few years now and I think they also make a difference.

Regards,

Ty Ford

PS not trying to highjack the thread...
Hey Ty - I just did a google search for "Kyser Phosphor Bronze" and it came up empty. Can you tell me more? I love the tone of these Thomastik-Infeld strings but the G string unwinds/breaks within 3 days on my guitars. I'd love a new set of recording-quality strings.

FYI: I have a stereo matched pair of M300s for sale on GS if anyone's looking. I just can't justify having so many mics - something had to go!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:39 AM

http://www.kysermusical.com/product.php?productid=16144

Regards

Ty
Old 04-04-2011, 10:54 AM

Thanks. Weird - they spell it "Phospher Bronze". Google should have figured that out!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD