The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 05:32 PM

Arrow ***SOLD*** -Halcyon 000 - Sound Clip- 12-fret - 25" Scale - Deep Body - Adi/SA Mahog

***SOLD***2015 Halcyon 000 (12-fret) Deep Body – Short-Scale (25”) – Adi/SA Mahogany – Several Upgrades – Excellent!

Below is the link to a sound clip of this guitar. The recording is just the guitar....no EQ, no effects, etc. The first 1:41 of the recording was made with finger tips only (no nails). From 1:42 to 2:45 a pick is used. The last 15 seconds is finger tips only again.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tuct4205ca...den_1.mp3?dl=0

NOTE: This guitar has several upgrades over the standard Halcyon guitar. These upgrades are: Adirondack Spruce top and bracing, Bone nut and saddle, Ebony fretboard and bridge, Gotoh SGL 510 tuners, and South American Mahogany back and sides.

This is a 12-fret short-scale (25”) Deep Body 000 with an outstanding deep rich loud-for-its-size tone. It has the following upgrades….Adirondack spruce top and bracing,
South American Mahogany back and sides, Gotoh SGL 510 tuners (X-Nickel finish), ebony bridge and fretboard, and bone nut, saddle, and bridge pins. It has a
1 ¾” nut and 2 3/16” string spacing. No modifications. No sign of fretwear. Original hard-shell case is included in excellent shape.

I am the original owner, having commissioned this build in January 2015 with Ed Bond (Halcyon/Tinker Guitars owner and luthier). In contrast to the typical
Halcyon, this guitar was designed to achieve a stronger low end and a woodier, drier tone. To achieve this tone, Ed utilized the Adi top, Adi forward-shifted
tapered X-bracing, South American mahogany back/sides and a slightly deeper tail width of 4 ½”. While its tone is balanced, the low end is definitely stronger
than the typical Halcyon. Ed Bond describes the tone as warm, dry, and punchy compared to his standard Halcyon.

Except for the one imperfection described in this paragraph, there isn’t a visible mark anywhere on this guitar. The imperfection is an extremely small (.10” X .13”)
chip in the saddle for the pin hole of the number six string. This imperfection cannot be seen unless the number six string pin is removed and you search for it.
I referred this issue to my long-time guitar tech and to Ed Bond (Halcyon). Both stated that the issue is not affecting anything, hasn’t changed over time and both
think it will be more noticeable if repaired. So, I elected to just leave as is.

So, why am I selling? Admittedly, I’m very picky about neck shape and girth. I consider the neck of this guitar to be a slightly narrow c-shape. Ed Bond (luthier)
states that the Halcyon neck is virtually identical to the neck used in Larrivee guitars. I prefer a slightly larger neck size. As a result, although I really like the tone
of this guitar, I just don’t play it enough to justify keeping it.

If you were to purchase this guitar new from Halcyon in 2018, the price (in US dollars) would be $1,990. My firm asking price is $XXXXX plus actual shipping (CONUS). Any other fees, such as PayPal are the responsibility of the buyer. So, if you want to avoid the lengthy waiting period and save more than $XXX on a great guitar that's in near-mint condition, look no further.

I am not interested in trades at this time.

If you’re interested in my initial thoughts about this guitar, you can view my NGD email at the following link….. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=402982

I haven’t been very active on AGF for a couple of years, but I have a relatively long history on AGF and have bought and/or sold more than a dozen guitars here.

Below are the major specs:

* = Upgrade to standard Halcyon specs

- *Top & Bracing– Adirondack Spruce
- *Back and Sides – South American Mahogany
- *Fretboard & Bridge - Ebony
- *Tuners - Gotoh SGL510 (X-Nickel finish)
- *Nut & Saddle - Bone
- Nut Width – 1 ¾”
- String Spacing – 2 3/16”
- Upper Bout Width – 10 ¾”
- Waist Width – 9 ¼”
- Lower Bout Width – 15”
- Depth at Neck – 3 ¾”
- Depth at Tail – 4 ½”
- Total Length - 20 3/8”
- Pickguard – Clear
- Finish - Hand-Rubbed Satin (all Halcyon guitars)

Below are photos for your viewing pleasure. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by ecpadden; 05-22-2019 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Remove Pricing
Old 01-06-2019, 10:35 PM

Default To The Top

Back to the top for greater exposure. Great guitar! IMHO, Halcyon guitars are one of the best bang-for-the-buck out there.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:50 AM

Default Rich Robust Tone - Extremely Versatile Guitar

This handsome 000 is extremely versatile. The Adirondack top and bracing provide unlimited headroom. It's equally "at home" being strummed aggressively or lightly finger-picked.

Except for the single 1/10th inch imperfection, this guitar is near-mint.

So far, I've had three interested people, but no one's pulled the trigger yet. You won't be disappointed with this one. Again, I say that I don't think there's a better buy than a Halcyon guitar.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:09 AM

Default Great Guitar Still Looking For A New Home

This versatile great-sounding guitar with a big balanced voice is still looking for a new home. Five fellow Virginians have shown interest, but unfortunately they are all too far away to take it out for an in-person spin.

Just FYI.......I live in southeastern (Hampton Roads) Virginia.

Please remember that I'm offering a 2-day test drive for folks with a reasonable AGF history.

Somebody needs to pull the trigger. I can assure you that you won't regret it.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:52 PM

Default Decent Interest, But Still Available......

Still getting a decent amount of interest, but no takers yet. Let's move it from deep on Page 3 to the top.

I'll say once again that this is a great guitar......very versatile, rich robust tone, equally strong across all styles of playing.

I'll also say again that I don't think there's better value out there than a Halcyon guitar and this one has multiple custom features/upgarades.

Come and get it!
Old 01-15-2019, 02:47 PM

Default Lower Price - Great Guitar Still Available

I've reduced the pre-shipping and Pre-PayPal (if you use it) price to $1,199.

I've received word today that two recently-interested folks are no longer interested. So, it's time to get this versatile guitar back to Page 1 for more exposure.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:50 PM

Default Back To Page 1

This unusual custom Halcyon 000 is still available. It's a good one. If you're on the fence, why not take advantage of the 48-Hour Trial Period to find out why Halcyon owners are so enamored with these guitars.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:49 PM

I recall being intrigued about Halcyon awhile back, and even spoke with BlueDog Guitars in Vancouver about acquiring one they had in stock.
From what I recall, it was one very similar to this one, except it had a Lutz top VS Adirondack, and it didn't have the deep body this one has.

This is a guitar I ought to buy, but it's very similar to the one I'm about to start building.
If it were on my coastline, I'd make the drive to play it.

A courtesy bump for an interesting guitar.

Last edited by woodbox; 02-02-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:15 AM

Default Still Available

Thanks, Woodbox, for your recent courtesy bump!

Yes, it is an interesting guitar. It can do it all.....very responsive, very versatile (picked, fingered, or strummed), loud (if desired), rich tone, balanced (like all Halcyons), and a strong low end.

Not much recent activity. So, must not be many Halcyon lovers in the market right now.

Anyway, it's still available. Take a 48-hour test drive if you're on the fence. You won't be disappointed.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:41 AM

Default New Lower Price

Second price reduction. Still available and still a great guitar.

On the fence? Take it for a 48-hour test-drive.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:36 AM

Default great guitar!

If I wasn't anticipating taking delivery of my Halcyon J later this year, I'd jump on this. I've played one that was more "standard" than this one and fell in love.
Sadly, I can't buy 2 Halcyon guitars this year. Somebody should be jumping all over this one.
Good luck!
1969 Yamaha FG-150
1987 MIJ E Series Telecaster
1972 Gibson SG-100 (eat your heart out!)
Halcyon #261 SD45 (highly customized)
a "beater" Johnson resonator significantly altered cone
Kanilea ST-1 Premium (tenor uke)
Kala Concert and Soprano ukes

Last edited by Al_Plays_Poorly; 02-04-2019 at 07:54 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-02-2019, 12:01 PM

Default Thanks, Al...... Superbowl Weekend Bump!

Thanks, Al for the positive Halcyon comments. Good luck on your Halcyon build! Given how virtually all Halcyon owners feel about their Halcyon guitars, I'm sure that you'll love yours. It's a long wait, but it's worth it.

I continue to receive inquiries and requests for my location so that a potential buyer can play the guitar. So, I'll mention again that I'm located in southeastern Virginia. I'll also mention again that I'm offering a 48-Hour Trial Period for anyone who wants to "play before buying."

Still available and still a great very versatile guitar.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:54 PM

Default Still Available and Still A Great-Sounding Versatile Guitar

A couple of contacts in the last three days, but no takers.

Still available.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:46 AM

Default Weekend Bump For A Great Guitar

Still some interest but no takers yet.

I know it's a buyers' market and as such, there are some very good deals out there for buyers. That said, this is a lot of guitar for the money.

I'm confident that if someone test-drives this guitar, they'll be extremely happy with it.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:27 PM

Default Easy-Playing, Great-Sounding Guitar Still Available

Three contacts in the last week, one seems serious, but no takers so far.

I haven't mentioned before that this guitar is set-up nicely (.08 at 12th fret) and combined with its 25" scale, it's very easy to play.

Back to the top for greater exposure.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars