The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-13-2002, 11:22 AM

Have you tried playing John Mayers stuff? Althought some may think it sounds similar musically, I don't find it similar at all with regards to playing it. Mayer fingerpicks alot, and uses alot of jazz and blues chords and alot of solos. Dave's music isn't really like that at all. Just my $.02.

-Chris
Old 12-13-2002, 11:25 AM

Yeah I like john mayer alot actually. that song neon has what I think is one of the best intros Ive heard.
Fender Stratocaster 2003
Fender Telecaster 2003
Old 12-13-2002, 11:25 AM

Amen to the Bob Dylan suggestion! Even has the DMB connection w/ "watchtower."

Try finding a scale book w/ the major/minor pentatonic scales in them. Learning these will open up the doors to Blues and Bluesgrass among many other forums of music. I teach out a book called "Guitar Soloing" published by the "MI" or Musicians Institute. I highly recommend it. The authors name slips my mind right now.

PS - I don't suggest songs by the Eagles or Bengals or anyother NFL football team. W/ exception to maybe the Chicago Bears' 1985 hit the "Super Bowl Shuffle."
Old 12-13-2002, 03:46 PM

Neon is a tough song. Some big stretches, alot of fingerpicking and unique chord forms.

-Chris
Old 12-13-2002, 03:59 PM

OK here are some kind of offbeat suggestions:

Antonio Carlos Jobim.

Roy Buchanan

Ry Cooder

All outside-the-box players...good for getting you out of a rut.

OR...

continue the writing. Makes you a better player and stretches your mind at the same time.

OR...

switch instruments for a while...piano? Mandolin?

The important thing is to keep doing something, and the inspiration will eventually show up.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:15 PM

Nobody mentions the greatest Taylor of them all -- James?? Man am I getting old. Check out his newer stuff -- it's really pretty interesting.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by huskerdu
Nobody mentions the greatest Taylor of them all -- James?? Man am I getting old. Check out his newer stuff -- it's really pretty interesting.
I did, check out my first post on this thread. JW
Old 12-13-2002, 10:32 PM

Some great suggestions here. I second the recommendations to:

Compose your own music
Get out and listen to as much music as you can, reset all the buttons on your car's radio, find new people to jam with, find places in Miami with open mic nights

I've been playing a long time - Paul Simon, Don McLean, Beatles, Eagles - all early influences. but I'm no longer all that interested in playing that stuff. I've gotten interested in all types of fingerstyles - ragtime, blues (that Clapton guy is good for this), some classical - so expanding your horizons may provide some motivation.

As for current band / musician suggestions who play interesting stuff, check out the Goo Goo Dolls.

Hope some of this is helpful.
Taylor 314ce-LTD
Alberico OM
Collings OM-2H
Breedlove Phoenix
Santa Cruz 000
Taylor GSRC
Gibson J-185
Breedlove SJ-25-12
Taylor GC5
Collings SJ
Taylor T5 Standard
Guild GAD-4N
Taylor MAH-GS LTD
Guild F-1512 12 String
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Old 12-13-2002, 11:07 PM

Stay away from the weed-enduced acoustic-y rock. hehe... I would pass on more of the DMB, Phish, Eagles, jam bands in general.

I know you like this stuff, but if you're not getting turned on by it like you used to, find something new. Add some new ammunition to your arsenal, so to speak. Go play some jazz, some rockabilly, some death metal, some polka... whatever it takes, try it all. Find something new that gets the mojo workin' and give that a shot.
Old 12-14-2002, 08:55 AM

Hi sabitan,

The similarities in our learning progression are uncanny!!! I was also 99% inspired to take up the git by Dave & Co. I have and always will love their music.....

I was kinda stuck on playing DMB stuff about a year ago, and felt that I was in a similar rut. I looked to an older playing friend of mine who shifted my interest to some of the classics (Dylan, Eagles, CSNY, James Taylor) that I had always overlooked. This turned me on to fingerstyle which now makes up about 75% of my learning focus. I'm hoping that over time this will progress to playing some flatpicked lead stuff

If you don't already play fingerstlye, maybe you should try some.
IMO DMB represents the creme de la creme of contemporary syncopated rhythm guitar. One reason you may find yourself uninspired is that, after taming the DMB beast, alot of other rhythm stuff seems blase.

Fingerstyle will open your ears to a whole new intricacy of sound.

I would suggest for starters:

Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You - Zepplin ( a lot easier than it sounds)
Landslide - Fleetwood Mac (Has some tricky bits)
Tears In Heaven - Clapton

These will probably take a while to get down. I just plug away at a new section, and when I get burnt out, I rip off a few bars of Warehouse to lighten up!!

I, like you, will always return to playing Dave to hear what I like the most..... Best of luck to you!!
Old 12-14-2002, 09:39 AM

when you can play AND sing "the stone" solo, at tempo, you have exhausted dave lol..

seriously though, DMB is just flat-out unique, it's hard to say that about many bands.......noone is around that directly compares.....

I'm a huge DMB fan, have been since i saw them local in 1992 or so, but i love a lot of styles..

here's some music i'm spinning lately, CD names in ():

grant lee buffalo (mighty joe moon),

john scofield (uberjam),

incubus (s.c.i.e.n.c.e.),

david gray (white ladder, lost songs),

brad (welcome to discovery park, shame),

kelly joe phelps (shine eyed mister zen)

DMB (remember two things<--their best imho)
Old 12-14-2002, 09:43 AM

The one thing I like about Bob Dylans Music is its pretty simple and if you put one of those super sour ball candies in your mouth you can sound just like him JW
Old 12-14-2002, 01:37 PM

Why not learn some roots stuff, like perhaps some Mississippi John Hurt, Lisabeth Cotton or some Chet Atkins? It's definitely challenging & will make you a better player. Lots of fun stuff to play around with.
Old 12-14-2002, 02:00 PM

Being primarily a drummer, I didn't play guitar that much a few years ago, but I did know every Dave Matthews song. After leaving for college, I discovered John Mayer. The first time I heard Neon, I knew I had to learn to play that. Took a while to master, but I've learned basically all of his songs now, too. I then wanted to master James Taylor's style, because I'd been listening to him since 2nd grade, so I bought his greatest hits tab book, then learned and studied it.

I was at the point you were recently, so a few weeks ago I went and bought Stevie Ray Vaughan's Greatest Hits Volume 2 tab book. This has been quite a positive challenge for me, especially since my electric guitar is at home and I'm forced to use my Yamaha laminate without a cutaway Can't wait to try these licks over Christmas break. And I can't wait to try them on my new Taylor!

Anyways, you might consider something like this. Some people scoff at the idea of tab books, but you really can learn something from them. If you want to learn to play like your heroes, note for note is important. I also sit and study my tab books and go along with the music and listen. It makes you figure out what they were doing for yourself.

Good luck to whatever you try.
Old 12-14-2002, 05:09 PM

These are all great suggestions and I really appreciate all of them. Its good to know I'm not the only one that feels this way. I went out and bout 24 nights (agreat clapton live cd) and some u2 stuff. I think Im going to try to knock that stuff out. I learned playing guitar by basically learning every dave song out there, and the theory of it kinda stuck. I think in my case, if I learn to play the songs I like from those two, hopefully the motivation will come back to me as it once did. Worse comes to worse, BACK TO WAREHOUSE WE GO!!!..... lol
Fender Stratocaster 2003
Fender Telecaster 2003

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell