The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-13-2002, 06:44 AM

Default Best live acoustic gig in 2002

OK I know we've a month and a half to go, but anybody out there willing to share great live gig stories in 2002.
For me it was Kelly Joe Phelps at the Jazz Cafe in Camden Town, London back in April (?).
Never heard anyone hit the strings so hard - was convinced he was playing with a heavy pick - but no just fingers and thumb.
His acoustic blues work just blew the crowd away completely - staggering solo performance. Very intimate, very intense. Can't wait til he's over here again.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:24 AM

kelly joe is one of my favorite artists..I've never gotten the chance to see him..what i wouldn't give though....

actually my favorite show this year was BRAD...it's a side project of pearl jam's guitarist, stone gossard..but he is very understated in this band...they've done 3 albums since 1994 or so...

they are not like pearl jam at all...the only trait they share with the perception of seattle bands is in the rawness of the recordings...they sound live and like they captured the moment when the songs were fresh....singer shawn smith is very R&B and the music is funky and melodic.....their new CD has a lot of nice acoustic work as well...
Old 11-13-2002, 07:57 AM

I don't get a chance to see too many good shows here, BUT, this year we had a special event. Local singer/songwriter Heather Nova returned to the island and played two sold out shows in July.

http://heathernova.org/

Heather is not that well known in the US, but she has gained considerable popularity in Europe. Having said that, her songs have been featured on "Felicity" and a recent motion picture.

The shows she did here were great. They were set in an auditorium with assigned seating, so the crowd was subdued allowing full appreciation of the performance. It was an intimate "unplugged' format which really worked well with her style which ranges from the ethereal to the rockin'

To sum up, the show was fantastic and to top it off... she played a Taylor 514ce!!!
Old 11-13-2002, 08:06 AM

I don't see that many shows either, but my acoustic show of the year was seeing Paul Westerberg play solo unplugged (and occaisionally plugged, but no band) this summer. His new songwriting and soulful delivery were fantastic. I've been playing "Let the Bad Times Roll" and "Skyway" on my Taylors ever since.

If any of you out there are singer/songwriter types and/or remember liking the Replacements, Westerberg's Stereo/Mono CD is worth checking out. Stereo is the acoustic songwriter stuff. Mono is the electric garage band stuff. Great two record concept in the spirit of Dylan's Bootleg Royal Albert Hall. It's continuously been in my CD shuffler since Spring.
2002 Taylor BabyM
Old wood tambourine & wire brushes
Old 11-16-2002, 11:18 PM

the best live acoustic show i saw this year i watched on tv...it was dashboard confessional mtv unplugged...chris carraba is an amazing singer songwriter and a really talented guitarist...they have two full length albums and two eps out and the unplugged cd is coming out in december...i highly recommend it...you can hear a couple of dashboard's songs at www.mp3.com/dashboardconfessional

check them out...i think you guys will like it

matt
www.joeyjustsaidit.com
Old 11-17-2002, 08:38 AM

Default RE: Best live Acoustic gig

I saw alot of shows this year but not too many all-acoustic. Definitely the best acoustic show I saw this year, and probably ever was Howie Day. His music may appeal to the younger set (i.e. 18-30) but he has an incredible live show. Just him and his guitar....oh and a huge set up of pedals. He uses the pedals to record and loop percussion which he taps on the soundboard of his guitar, bass through an octave pedal and played on his guitar, and loops in lead licks etc to color the song. He's got an amazing voice and a live show not to be missed. Right now he's on tour opening for Tori Amos but hopefully he'll be back out on the road headlining after that. Oh and I forgot to mention he's still a kid, only 21 years old. I've had his cd for quite a while but was totally blown away by the live show. I was impressed by his live show as anyone I think I've ever seen.

If anyone is interested, you can visit the link below, go to the music section and click the link for his rig to check out his set up.

Howie Day Fanpage

-Chris
Old 12-02-2002, 07:05 PM

Cool

The best show I saw this year was Doyle Dykes at a Taylor workshop in Chattanooga Tn. I've always liked Doyle's playing but never had a clue just how good he was until that clinic. Man! He blew my socks off! There were probably 75 - 85 people at the store where he was and we all just kinda gathered around him. Some sat on the floor, others stood up. (Including me.) He played for 2 1/2 hours. I stood there the whole time with my mouth open and didn't even realize that I hadn't sat down until it was over and I realized my leggs were sore from standing up in one place for so long.
After the clinic was over, Doyle sat down and talked one - on - one with everyone who wanted to speak to him. Just the nicest guy you've ever met.
What amazed me the most was just the ease with which he played even the most difficult parts. I asked him to play "That's All" ( The Genesis song) and I realized very fast that I'd NEVER be able to play that song like he did. At the most difficult part, he looked over at me and said, " whew! That's hard!" but he never missed a lick!
Anyone out there who hasn't had a chance to see him yet - DO It! You woun't be sorry!
Old 12-02-2002, 07:11 PM

It's got to be a tie between Richard Shindell at McCabe's in Santa Monica and David Rawlings/Gillian Welch at the John Anson Ford Theatre in the Hollywood Hills. The latter was a particulary interesting show, because The Who were playing at the Hollywood Bowl, which is in the same canyon (both are outdoor amphitheatres), and we could hear the roar of their applause throughout the show. Gillian and David thought it was a crack-up; she quipped that it would probably be the only time we'd hear them on the same bill as The Who. (My husband was at the Who show that night; he said it was sad because it was their first show after John Entwistle died.)
Old 12-07-2002, 07:14 PM

I second Doyle Dykes. He played a free concert at a college in the area. He had friends that went to the school years ago, and they were nice enough (and Doyle was nice enough) to come to town (all the way up here in MN) to put on the free concert. Amazing isn't a strong enough word for this guys talent.

As Teesplee said, one of the nicest guys around, as was his daughter. He stayed until anyone who wanted to talk to him got the chance.
Old 12-17-2002, 11:45 AM

Best acoustic show I saw was Tish Hinojosa at Swallow Hill in Denver.

Just Tish and Marvin Dykhuis in an church converted to a music school and concert hall with couple of hundred people. Her soprano really fit the venue--just beautiful.

Here's a link to one of the songs from Memorabilia Navidena (Christmas Memories) A La Nanita Nana
Old 12-31-2002, 08:01 AM

Best acoustic show I saw this year was Peter Rowan and Tony Rice. Rather than try to describe it, here's the review from AG about the accompanying album.

Peter Rowan and Don Edwards, High Lonesome Cowboy.

You don't have to be a fan of western music to enjoy this collection of traditional cowboy songs performed by singer-composer Peter Rowan and Don Edwards, who has been called "America's purest cowboy singer." The ambience is easygoing, and Rowan takes a largely supporting role, lending a sweet tenor to Edwards' warm baritone. It's an especially satisfying disc for guitar lovers. Rowan and Edwards are joined by Tony Rice and Norman Blake, whose distinctive and very different styles are often combined on a single cut. This guitar-heavy instrumentation (some songs have as many as four guitars) creates a wonderfully warm "wall of wood" sound. Spare arrangements showcase Blake's flawless tone and timing, and Rice's solos range from lyrical to fiery. (Western Jubilee/Shanachie, www.westernjubilee.com)
Larrivee OMV-50
Larrivee LJ05-12,
Seagull s6,
Dauphin 30,
Godin Kingpin
Old 12-31-2002, 02:25 PM

Tommy Emmanuel in Sept. @ a local high school aud

(Honorable Mention)
Alex de Grassi in Oct @ Swallow Hill in Denver
Old 01-01-2003, 06:00 PM

Don Ross at a small venue in Toronto this February five feet away, quite the treat. He's quite the remarkable player. I hope too see him again. I hope that Doyle Dyke will make it to these parts in the new year, he must be increadable live!
Old 01-02-2003, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian Anderson
I hope that Doyle Dyke will make it to these parts in the new year, he must be incredible live!
"You are correct, sir." He is.

After you pick your jaw up off the floor, you will also find him to be very gracious and willing to answer the dumbest of questions, as long as people are there to ask them.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:02 PM

Hope this counts as it wasn't purley acoustic, but there was an acoutic set in the middle ......

It had to be Jewel, Royal Festival Hall last February ... amazing + as a bonus she plays a Taylor.

Martin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell