The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-10-2019, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

I hope that I will like the Aquila, because they are < $10 a set, and the Optima no. 6 Golds were about $25 a set the last time that I bought them.

In regards to the Optima no. 6 golds, interesting that the same strings on different guitars heard by different ears left widely varying impressions. To my ears, the Optima no. 6 Golds had very bright trebles with a good amount of sustain. I was not so impressed with the bass strings. The tone was ok, but not deep, and less than desirable volume. I like the Optima no. 6 Gold basses a little better on the Cordoba GK Pro, but still found them to be underwhelming. I'm trying to keep in mind that neither of these guitars have strong basses regardless of what strings are on them. Again, all of this is how it sounds to me, and others will probably hear these strings differently.

It was so much simpler 4 decades ago: Augustine Blues, or Augustine Reds.

We live in a time of cornucopia of choices in guitars, strings, amplification choices, accessories.....amazing!
Old 03-10-2019, 01:17 PM

Hi CF forum. It was me who recommended them to Evan.

In a nut shell, the Rubinos, for me, have more depth in tone than carbon strings and also have a much more focused tone compared to carbons. They are better balanced in tension (nylons and carbons can be terribly unbalanced). As soon as they are settled, changing between tunings is easy as the strings are very stable. The also change pitch quickly when bending, better than any other nylon or carbon string I've tried, which is good for the music I play.

Here's a recording with the strings after 3 months, and still sounding great.

You could also check out the new Martin Magnifico strings that they are putting on their nylon string guitars. These strings are also made by Aquila and have a similar formula to the Rubinos. They have a bit more tension to drive those Martin tops and I imagine steel string folk will like them too. I'm yet to try the sugar strings. Aquila are a great brand for their innovation and experimentation.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 03-10-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Thanks for the info. I've got a used Yamaha SLG200N inbound. I couldn't decide between the two and found that one first so grabbed it. I do have another one I found (SLG200S for steel string) that I might also grab so I can A/B them and then just flip the one I like least.

I'm buying this solely to be used as an open mic guitar, something that has onboard control (preamp and EQ) and also is a naturally feedback resistant or this case feedback-proof since there is no body. I get so tired of going to open mics with equipment and/or sound guys with no clue how to dial in good tone for a fingerstyle player. I'm hoping this guitar solves this issue!

I'm stoked to hear that nylon strings last so long. I'll be sure to do a review of my thoughts once the guitar is in.
Hey, Scott,

So, did the SLG200n show up? If so, even though it isn't a CF, I'd sure like to hear a carbon fiber player's review of the Yammy Silent Guitar. I would consider one. Inquiring minds want to know.

TIA
Old 03-11-2019, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Hey, Scott,

So, did the SLG200n show up? If so, even though it isn't a CF, I'd sure like to hear a carbon fiber player's review of the Yammy Silent Guitar. I would consider one. Inquiring minds want to know.

TIA
It did not. Delayed in the shipping. Probably tomorrow, next day at the latest. I'll be sure to give a good review of it - you know me!
Old 03-11-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I'll be sure to give a good review of it - you know me!
Ill rest up some
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-11-2019, 05:53 PM
Guest 928

I had one. It was sweet. I bought it in Seattle, big box store. Played it while waiting for the plane. Played it at home. The neck was smooth and fast, the intonation was solid, the electronics were superb. I returned it.

I went through a number body-less guitars and thought the Yamaha was as good as it gets. But I missed the body. Music is a physical experience and the Yamaha was sort of an out-of-body experience--ethereal, but not sensational.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It did not. Delayed in the shipping. Probably tomorrow, next day at the latest. I'll be sure to give a good review of it - you know me!
Glad you have overcome your shyness.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:23 AM

Back to nylon strings, sorry to say, but Aquila has made something even superior and I am blown away by these new strings:

Mimmo from Aquila kindly sent me a new string he has created. The Granato strings.

Before the trebles of the Granato strings were the same as the Rubino strings. These were unique in employing metal dust in a nylgut polymer to increase the density of the strings. I loved them. But...

The Granato strings have metal dust and his new polymer made from sugar.

These strings are the very best I have ever tried on a nylon string guitar. The are bright, powerful, sustain more than anything else, and have great tone.

Mimmo has these in his 'flamenco' section on his website. I can see why as I can imagine that some classical purists will not entertain the brightness, but I think others will. You should try these if just to see how Aquila are moving things forward with string innovation.

Mimmo tells me that all the Granato strings with the label 'March 2019' are these strings.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:14 AM
Guest 928

Sirwhale;

You're killing me. I haven't even strung the Rubinos and now you're moving me to yet a new set of strings. If you keep this up, I'll have more money in strings than I used to pay for guitars.

But thank you anyway. Strings make a big difference with CF guitars and I always look forward to a new sound.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Sirwhale;

You're killing me. I haven't even strung the Rubinos and now you're moving me to yet a new set of strings. If you keep this up, I'll have more money in strings than I used to pay for guitars.

But thank you anyway. Strings make a big difference with CF guitars and I always look forward to a new sound.
Sorry Evan! But try them both and see which you like more
Old 03-16-2019, 05:58 PM
Guest 928

Sir;

In looking up the strings I do not see any reference to the March 2019 date. Is there a number?

Last edited by Guest 928; 03-18-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:54 PM

When you buy a pack of Aquila string there is a little sticker on the back with a date. The new Granato strings have to have March 2019, otherwise they have the old polymer. Honestly, I'm not sure which you will prefer, I think maybe it will be the Rubinos (nylgut), but I'm not sure.

I have some video comparisons here for you, comparing with two carbon string brands:

Aquila sugar polymer Granato

Knobloch CX Actives

Hannabach Goldin
Old 03-18-2019, 06:41 PM
Guest 928

Sir;

The ads I see for the strings only show the front cover. I suppose I will have to inquire.

Also, I'm not getting your videos, is there an alternate way of seeing them?
Old 03-19-2019, 01:01 AM

I'm not sure why you can't see them. Here are the direct links:

Aquila sugar polymer Granato

https://youtu.be/XPlaozkvkV0

Knobloch CX Actives (carbon)

https://youtu.be/2KJ9RF5xT2A

Hannabach Goldin (carbon)

https://youtu.be/8QZmnrZdkMQ

And, yes, I have been enquiring with suppliers to ensure what I buy is March 2019. They've said they'd email me.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:55 AM
Guest 928

Sir;

Got the video, nice of you to give me the alternative.

Wow! There appears to be a big difference between the three sets of string. The Granatos are really pronounced compared to the others. I look forward to trying them.

I read one review where the player suggested that the bass strings were dull--I sure didn't hear any dullness in your play. The trebles seem very bright and are a nice contrast with the lower end.

I'll be interested in how long the strings last before they require a change. Given your level of proficiency I suspect you'll have the answer long before I reach the change point.

Thanks for taking the time to offer the feedback.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber