The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-28-2002, 09:00 AM

Question Instructional DVD

Hi folks. I'm looking for some suggestions on good instructional DVDs. I'm somewhere between a beginner and an intermediate player, and am looking for a good overall DVD to take me to the next level, not just teach me how to play in a particular style, (i.e. bluegrass). Any help out there? Thank you kindly.

Jackie
Old 12-30-2002, 11:35 AM

Hey Jackie,

One that I've found helpful and that I've learned a lot from, is called Fender Presents: Getting Started on Acoustic Guitar, with Keith Wyatt. As you can probably gather, it is somewhat biased towards Fender guitars in what Keith plays and their "how guitars are made" little thing, but on the whole it's pretty cool.

Having a 3D diagram of the fretboard and finger positionings helps even further to visualize what you should be doing, and there are practice tracks there on there as well that you can jam along to with visual beat cues and whatnot.

Pretty cool, worth a look anyway. That's my recommendation.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:32 AM

I'm surprised noone has yet mentioned Homespun tapes. I think their website is :

www.homespuntapes.com

Thye have several DVD's that I think would be suitable for you.

Rob
Patrick Eggle New York Broadway
Old 01-02-2003, 12:42 PM

I just received my Acoustic Guitar Mag. and this month, the one with Geo. Harrison on the cover, has an write up on beginning guitar instruction DVDs. They mention a couple of DVDs that start out with beginning stuff and then move beyond beginning. You might check out the mag.

Good luck,
Midnight Shadow
Old 01-07-2003, 01:58 PM

I would also appreciate hearing which DVD's you all feel are the best general type DVD's to help take a person from the advance beginer level to intermediate.

One that would help tie in open chords to theory about moving around the guitar neck for both finger picking and strumming.

Your ideas are appreciated....
Old 01-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Me

Quote:
Originally posted by Robbie
I'm surprised noone has yet mentioned Homespun tapes. I think their website is :
www.homespuntapes.com
Thye have several DVD's that I think would be suitable for you.
Rob
I bought a Mandolin DVD from them that is very good, but no guitar DVDs.
Old 01-13-2003, 12:16 AM

Default Great VIDEO

One that I would recommend, as it has dramatically improved my playing in a very short time is "John Petrucci - Rock Discipline"

Don't let the name fool you, all though this book is great for guys that like to shred....it's so much more.

This book will teach you practive methods that just can't be beaten. Just a few minutes a day at some of these exercises and your fingers will literally start to fly around the fretboard allow you to open up your mind and be more creative.

I can't stress enough, what a great video.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:33 AM

You might take a look at Chris Proctor's video. It has a number of exercises which I would think would help a person regardless of style. Check it out and see what you think. I don't remember the name of it but I am sure you could do a search for it and come up with it. Check his website and see if it is listed.

He has a new video coming out on 12 string guitar sometime this year I believe. The one I was referring to has been out for some time.

Midnight Shadow
Old 01-13-2003, 02:35 AM

Sorry you wanted DVD and I don't know if the Chris Proctor tape also comes in DVD or not. It is still worth trying to find out.
Midnight Shadow
Old 01-13-2003, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Great VIDEO

Quote:
Originally posted by A1rh0pper
One that I would recommend, as it has dramatically improved my playing in a very short time is "John Petrucci - Rock Discipline"

Don't let the name fool you, all though this book is great for guys that like to shred....it's so much more.

This book will teach you practive methods that just can't be beaten. Just a few minutes a day at some of these exercises and your fingers will literally start to fly around the fretboard allow you to open up your mind and be more creative.

I can't stress enough, what a great video.
I just had a question about this, A1rh0pper. Checking this out on Amazon.com, it seems to have garnered rave reviews, but my main question is this: Is this DVD only geared towards electric guitar playing, or would the same principles, excerises, techniques apply to acoustic as well? Also, the price, at least on that site ($49.95?!) seems quite prohibitive.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:15 PM

Default Rock-Discipline

Rock Discipline is primarily aimed at Rock Guitar/Electric Guitar I think because of Petrucci. Trust me, this video will make changes to your playing whether you play electric, accoustic, or banjo.

It is less of a book about "Here is an A chord, here is the C Major scale, and more about, here is how you practice, here are some great finger exercises, here is a method....

I can't explain it, but it's a book about all those annoying things people hate to do...but once you start doing them...the light bulb comes on, the fingers start grooving, and suddenly picking up any type of music and attempting to learn it becomes easier...

I baulked at the price forever...then went to Jeffrey's house and he showed it to me one day...and after that I just had to have it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell