The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-15-2019, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
This thread has proven to be quite useful for me as from some of the responses, I have compiled a list of folks I likely wouldn't do business with.

Hahahaha! You’re killin me man!

Old 07-15-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Well, there's either a man in the mirror or there isn't.
Great answer!!!

I don't think I would take advantage of someone who couldn't possibly know better.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Disappointed in some responses?
I'm not.
People just differ.
They always have and always will.
Of course every difference is not okay, but we have laws against that stuff.

I see the wide range of responses to the OP's question as simply diversity and I try to respect everyone's perspective - that is as long as they take responsibility for their standards being their personal preference and apply them only to themselves, and don't live as though everyone should agree with them.

I suspect some may see this as intolerance, but I see it as addressing intolerance and respecting diversity.
Not tolerating intolerance is not intolerance.

Yes, obviously some things are clearly wrong, theft, murder, etc.
But there are laws against that stuff.
The OP's scenario is not that stuff.
No, you are correct, it isn't. There are also issues of conscience that can apply and which can be very subjective of course.
I like the "walk a mile in my shoes" approach.
I am selling something and out of ignorance it is priced too low. A prospective buyer informs me of that.
Not only am I grateful for the honesty and respectful of that person but I also have been exposed to a "higher" ethic by example for my own future practice.
Seems like a very good thing to me.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 07-15-2019 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:56 AM

The honest thing to do would be to tell the person what they have and how much it's worth. I don't want to see anyone cheated, lest of all by me. I

f you want to make them an offer at the same time that would be a good deal for both of you, then it's win/win.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:13 AM

A friend of mine's dad bought a 60's Martin from some guy in the 70's at an insanely low price. The guy had gotten laid off and was selling everything he could. He was down to a mattress on the floor, no real furniture and his guitar. Friend's Dad said he'd buy at that low price but if the guy ever wanted it back, he'd sell it back to him at the same price.

The guy never offered to buy it back.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colder View Post
The honest thing to do would be to tell the person what they have and how much it's worth. I don't want to see anyone cheated, lest of all by me. I

f you want to make them an offer at the same time that would be a good deal for both of you, then it's win/win.
I admire all the folks that would go garage saleing all day looking for a bargain and then not pull the trigger when one is found.

The % of folks that would privately DO this is significantly lower than those that publicly SAY they would, imo.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 07-15-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
Lots of interesting and varied responses. I guess I should let everyone know what really happened, especially since some of you seem to be drawing conclusions about me without knowing the whole story.

So I went to a garage sale yesterday and saw some tools (wrench/socket set), a top brand that I heard was good: Snap-On. I like to work on my own cars (via YouTube, lol) but I’m not a professional mechanic by any means so I slowly accumulate tools thru garage sales.

I asked the woman how much they wanted. She called her husband several times on the phone and he didn’t answer. She said they need to move out by the end of the month as they’re moving to another state to be closer to the best polo fields/associations. She said, “he’s not answering so too bad, we need to get rid of crap. How about $30?” Done.

As soon as I got home I looked on EBay and estimated these tools would run about $400-$500 brand new—I had no idea they were THAT expensive! I immediately felt bad so I texted the woman and said I didn’t want her to get in trouble with her husband so I’ll gladly return it if that’s the case. Haven’t heard from them and they removed the garage sale ad from CL.

I thought this would make an interesting topic in general and was really interested in reading varied views and perspectives in similar circumstances. Enjoyed reading your responses (no matter how condemning, lol)!
MY opinion only...

you did the right thing...

balls in their court, if you don't get any response, know that you tried...
Old 07-15-2019, 08:32 AM

I told a guy on OfferUp who had a vintage Epiphone Texan for $150 it was worth closer to two grand. Recently told a newly widowed woman her husband's Ovation Adamas she offered to give away was worth 3 grand at least. Guitarma is very real and I want mine fully operating in my favor!
Old 07-15-2019, 09:03 AM

The simple code is to treat others as you would like to be treated. I'd put myself in the sellers shoes and and ask would I like someone to inform me about the true value of an item? If you would, treat them the same.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 07-15-2019, 09:27 AM

I'm on the other side of the coin. My father passed away 15 years ago and he left behind a lot of old "stuff" and most of it is gone. But I kept some boxes with old clocks, watches, cameras, tube radios, tubes, and the like. My mom has piles of crystal, china, and knick knacks. I post items regularly on the local used sites for nominal cost ($10 to $20) and there is absolutely Zero interest, people rather buy plastic crap at the dollar store and I guess there are no collectors in the area. So eventually it all will go to the dump.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolbury View Post
The simple code is to treat others as you would like to be treated. I'd put myself in the sellers shoes and and ask would I like someone to inform me about the true value of an item? If you would, treat them the same.
Bingo! The day dream is to score an old martin for pennies on the dollar at some yard sale. To be honest, I slow down whenever I pass a sale to scan for guitar cases. When actually faced with the opportunity, I would definitely say something to the seller. If I actually wanted it I would make a fair enough offer.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I admire all the folks that would go garage saleing all day looking for a bargain and then not pull the trigger when one is found.

The % of folks that would privately DO this is significantly lower than those that publicly SAY they would, imo.
I agree although I'd substitute the word "doubt" for the word "admire." What we say we'd do, what we think we'd do and what we actually do are at least three different things...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-15-2019, 09:59 AM

Somebody in this thread mentioned that a good deal between parties is a win-win for both. I have always gone with that. If everybody is informed and happy, go for it.

We had one of those ID chips surgically implanted in our dog by a veterinarian. When you sign up, you get a special engraved tag to go on the collar. Our dog lost the tag in the woods. I ordered two more from the chip company. When they didn't arrive in the time promised, I called them. They kindly sent two more, at their expense, to fill the order. Saturday, the replacements arrived, and darn if I didn't also find the the two tags from the first order. My wife had intercepted them without telling me. Two free tags did not make me happy.

This morning, I called the company, went through all the prompts, and waited. I told the woman who answered that I wanted to pay for the for the second set of tags. I apologized, told her that I did not attempt to get them fraudulently, and was ready to give her a credit card number. She said, "That's sweet. Let me ask my supervisor how to process that." I waited on hold until she came back to me with news that they appreciated my effort, but didn't want me to pay. I thanked her and told her I sure didn't want to mess things up for anybody who might have a legitimate problem in the future.

Anyway, what I did to try to right a $29.88 wrong, that the seller was not even aware of, might indicate how I feel about one party taking advantage in any deal.

Sorry for no guitar content.

opencee

Old 07-15-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
I'm on the other side of the coin. My father passed away 15 years ago and he left behind a lot of old "stuff" and most of it is gone. But I kept some boxes with old clocks, watches, cameras, tube radios, tubes, and the like. My mom has piles of crystal, china, and knick knacks. I post items regularly on the local used sites for nominal cost ($10 to $20) and there is absolutely Zero interest, people rather buy plastic crap at the dollar store and I guess there are no collectors in the area. So eventually it all will go to the dump.
This is the result of younger generations not developing an appreciation for things.

Find people who do have appreciations. Harder to do now. We are a throw away, plastic, fiberboard, lemming society.

But it's not everybody.

You just have to work a little harder to get the word out.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
This is the result of younger generations not developing an appreciation for things.

Find people who do have appreciations. Harder to do now. We are a throw away, plastic, fiberboard, lemming society.

But it's not everybody.

You just have to work a little harder to get the word out.
Different eras,different values...
The fact that we live in a "throw away" society, especially in the United States, speaks volumes about a lot of things.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic