The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-18-2018, 07:07 AM

Default Saw Marc Cohn Last Night

Saw Marc Cohn last night. Although he is best known as a piano player (Walking in Memphis) he also played guitar. A beat up left handed J45. He's not a picker by any means but he was very solid with a very percussive style. He was backed up by the Blind Boys of Alabama and it was quite a gospel-fused set.

His story of how he came to write Walking in Memphis was very touching and, all in all, it was an evening of refreshing singer/songwriting tunes with a unique soulful backup group.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 05-30-2018, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
Saw Marc Cohn last night. Although he is best known as a piano player (Walking in Memphis) he also played guitar. A beat up left handed J45. He's not a picker by any means but he was very solid with a very percussive style. He was backed up by the Blind Boys of Alabama and it was quite a gospel-fused set.

His story of how he came to write Walking in Memphis was very touching and, all in all, it was an evening of refreshing singer/songwriting tunes with a unique soulful backup group.
Like His music
Love Walking in Memphis, it has been in my set list for years It makes a great walking style acoustic guitar tune.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-31-2018, 04:48 AM
Musical minimalist

Saw him a few years back opening for Bonnie Raitt. To be completely honest, I enjoyed his set more than Bonnie (don't get me wrong, I love her music too)

He is a great entertainer and songwriter. His stories between songs were engaging and "real". It was just him and a side man on bass and guitar with Marc going back and forth between keys and guitar.

Really enjoyed it a lot. He plays at The Ark in Ann Arbor once a year normally and I've been meaning to get back to see him again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN