The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-24-2013, 02:22 PM

I bought a Concert in January. The store also had an Etude. My take was the Etude was louder with more treble, which sounded tinny to me. The Concert had a more even tone and sounded "richer". I'm happy with the Concert (no pickup model).

Last edited by alnico5; 05-28-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJScott View Post
I have a Presentation (same as Collection with out the gloss finish I think). It has a great tone and the fit and finish are excellent as well. All in all a great guitar.
I have a Presentation as well and love it. The tone is great!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnico5 View Post
I bought a Concert in January. The store also had an Etude. My take was the Etude was louder with more treble, which sounded tinny to me. The Concert had a more even tone and sounded "richer". I'm happy with the Concert (no pickup model).
Quote:
Originally Posted by srayb View Post
I have a Presentation as well and love it. The tone is great!
Yep, both the Concert and the Presentation that I played sounded better than the Etude at the store as well as my Etude at home. The Etude is still a nice guitar at that price range but the Concert and Presentation are worth the extra cash, IMHO.

Srayb - Welcome to the AGF.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:41 PM

Being new to classical I'm going to try hard tension strings on my Concert. It came with regular tension and LaPatrie says they use regular or hard tension on all models.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnico5 View Post
Being new to classical I'm going to try hard tension strings on my Concert. It came with regular tension and LaPatrie says they use regular or hard tension on all models.
I put hard tension on my Presentation and they are great. For 2 reasons I chose this: I often play in lower tunings (drop-D, DADGAD & others), also I have played 6-string electric bass for years,so I am used to a lot more string tension.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Srayb - Welcome to the AGF.
Thanks very much! I'm glad this place exists!
Old 06-01-2013, 11:31 AM

I have a Collection from back in the days when La Patrie was called Kamouraska.

I bought it, if I recall correctly, sometime in the mid-1990's for studying classical guitar.

Studying classical guitar only lasted a couple of years ( ) but I still have the guitar and it has been a wonderful addition to the collection (pardon the pun!).

I normally use Savarez, High-Tension on it. I tried a little experiment here recently and put D'Addario ball end (hybrid) strings on it. They sound great!

Old 06-01-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryinAZ View Post
I have a Collection from back in the days when La Patrie was called Kamouraska.

I bought it, if I recall correctly, sometime in the mid-1990's for studying classical guitar.

Studying classical guitar only lasted a couple of years ( ) but I still have the guitar and it has been a wonderful addition to the collection (pardon the pun!).

I normally use Savarez, High-Tension on it. I tried a little experiment here recently and put D'Addario ball end (hybrid) strings on it. They sound great!
I had never heard of this before so I did some research to learn that Norman Butcher made Kamouraska guitars and then sold it to Godin and the name was changed to LaPatrie (not sure if the name change was immediate or not). I learn a lot here - thanks for the post.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
<snip>...I learn a lot here - thanks for the post.
Ditto!

I have known about the name change since very close to the time it occurred, but I had not realized it was Godin who had bought the rights.

I was told the Kamouraska/LaPatrie thing was/is a luthier "commune" tucked away in an Eastern Canadian forest. Is this true?

Just answered my own question, from Wiki:

The guitar line originated from a small luthier shop founded in 1982 in the village of La Patrie, Quebec, Canada. In 1996, the first demo of collection model was available for purchase in some of the biggest guitar stores in Montreal. In 2008, La Patrie won an acoustic guitar players' choice award [2]

Today there are over 200 people in La Patrie dedicated to the art of hand crafting guitars.

Did the Godin buyout also come with personnel changes?

My Collection looks almost identical to what is available today.

Last edited by GerryinAZ; 06-02-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Ditto!

<<snippet>>
Did the Godin buyout also come with personnel changes?

My Collection looks almost identical to what is available today.
I have no idea. I would suspect that at least some of the talent would have remained with Godin ... I just looked LaPatrie on the map - a very small place in the middle of nowhere. I doubt there's that much work in LaPatie outside of guitar work
Old 06-03-2013, 07:46 AM

...from the Seagull Guitar (also made in LaPatrie) website;

"Today, LaPatrie has a population of about 475 and about half of these people are guitar builders. These folks take a great deal of pride in the guitars they build"

Sounds like a pretty cool little village!

Old 06-03-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
...from the Seagull Guitar (also made in LaPatrie) website;

"Today, LaPatrie has a population of about 475 and about half of these people are guitar builders. These folks take a great deal of pride in the guitars they build"

Sounds like a pretty cool little village!
That is amazing, great little town. I wonder what the other half do?
Old 06-04-2013, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

Ahhh the La Patrie Motif plus free TRIC case came home with me tonight. I have been playing classical solos/exercises for the past two hours. It's a nice small parlor size and sounds great. Can't wait to try out some bossa on it.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
Ahhh the La Patrie Motif plus free TRIC case came home with me tonight. I have been playing classical solos/exercises for the past two hours. It's a nice small parlor size and sounds great. Can't wait to try out some bossa on it.
These are all merely words...until validated with pictures!

Congrats on your new instrument! I'd say "Enjoy!" but it seems that is already happening.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
Congrats!! Create a NGD thread with some pics. Were there any other classicals that you were also looking at?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical