The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-27-2012, 05:36 PM

Default Recommended Pickup for Nylon String

I'm looking for a pickup for a nylon string guitar. It's a Cordoba GK Negra. I really don't like the pickup in it. I've heard good things about the K & K Trinity for steel string and the price isn't bad at all.

I'm just wondering what the general consensus is on classical/ nylon guitars. I want a very natural sound. I like the sound of the guitar and basically want that sound amplified. I will be using it for live solo gigs.

In my research for steel strings, a dual source system seems like the best way to go. I would really like to have a microphone in the guitar and a SBT seems like the best type of pickup to couple with this for a natural sound. I don't like the sound of UST.

I'd like to stay under $200.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:19 AM

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...00172000000000

check this out i think it is the best..read the reviews too...
playing a handcrafted acoustic.

Check out my youtube channel: www.youtube.com/user/yasaswijethilake
Old 01-29-2012, 11:38 AM

I put a k&k pure classic in my Cordoba a few months ago and love the sound. I opted against an internal mic as I use it on stage and have to be careful with feedback as it is, but based on my experience with just the Pure system, I'd think the Trinity would produce a great sound.

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 01-29-2012, 08:42 PM

I, too, have a K&K pure classic in my Cordoba C7. However, I haven't been pleased with it.

Honestly, I am unable to say if the problem is the pickup or the guitar. Mine is a cedar-top and with the pickup it just sounds boomy and thuddy. With liberal use of a 15-band eq, I can sort of get it sounding good, but I've been afraid to take it to a gig yet....

kr

Aparicio AA100 Classical Spruce/IR
Guild GAD-50e (meh)
Old 01-30-2012, 07:33 AM

I would go for an active co-axial type UST like the Headway Snake, Baggs Element, Shadow Nanoflex.

This type of UST produces a much more natural acoustic tone than the usual bar type UST. They are also much less prone to feedback than the stick-on transducer type of PU.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:46 PM

Well, I ordered the L.R. Baggs Anthem SL Classical.

I know I said I wasn't interested in a UST but after your recommendations and looking into it more I decided it might be a good idea. I did have a Classical with a K&K SBT and it had the airy sound but it was kind of heavy in the midrange and took a lot of EQ to control. I know Pat Metheny uses a UST in his Classicals and I like his live sound a lot. Also I'm a little concerned with feedback but more concerned with live looping with this guitar.

So after I decided to get a UST I still wanted something for that airy natural sound. I didn't really want to drill a second hole for another pickup and I'm just not sure enough on wiring two pickups stereo, especially with the preamps in the endpin jack. Then I was reminded of the Anthem and I was able to get it for $175 which is within budget.

I'll let you guys know what I think of it.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:20 PM

David,

I just tracked down your website and listened to some of your music--very enjoyable. May your writing/performing take you as far is you want it to...

I'll be looking forward to your pickup review.

kr

Guild GAD-50e (meh)
Old 02-01-2012, 10:05 AM

Default LR Baggs Anthem SL Classical

I have never liked a pickup until I tried the Lr Baggs Anthem Classical. I think it works fantastic, Im using it with the LR Baggs PARI DI as well just so I can have a bit more tone control. I don't have issues with feedback and have played very loud. Ive tried other brands that folks have mentioned hear but I would really suggest that you give the LR Baggs Anthem SL Classical a try the mic works excellent. Im very happy with the system.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:13 AM

Default LR Baggs Anthem SL Classical is the way to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Youngman View Post
I'm looking for a pickup for a nylon string guitar. It's a Cordoba GK Negra. I really don't like the pickup in it. I've heard good things about the K & K Trinity for steel string and the price isn't bad at all.

I'm just wondering what the general consensus is on classical/ nylon guitars. I want a very natural sound. I like the sound of the guitar and basically want that sound amplified. I will be using it for live solo gigs.

In my research for steel strings, a dual source system seems like the best way to go. I would really like to have a microphone in the guitar and a SBT seems like the best type of pickup to couple with this for a natural sound. I don't like the sound of UST.

I'd like to stay under $200.
I have never liked a pickup until I tried the Lr Baggs Anthem Classical. I think it works fantastic, Im using it with the LR Baggs PARI DI as well just so I can have a bit more tone control. I don't have issues with feedback and have played very loud. Ive tried other brands that folks have mentioned hear but I would really suggest that you give the LR Baggs Anthem SL Classical a try the mic works excellent. Im very happy with the system.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:38 PM

V2or,
Glad to hear a good review on the Anthem. I've heard really good things about it with steel string but have heard very little about the classical model. What I have heard is positive. I'll try to get a video or something together when I get it to compare the old pickup with the new.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeddingGuy View Post
David,

I just tracked down your website and listened to some of your music--very enjoyable. May your writing/performing take you as far is you want it to...

I'll be looking forward to your pickup review.

kr
Thanks, Wedding Guy.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:25 AM

So... have you had time to check out that pickup yet?

Guild GAD-50e (meh)
Old 02-05-2012, 11:01 AM

As I play a lot of weddings, I also decided not to go with any pickup with a mic. Feedback during Canon in D would not be good! I've put a Shadow nano-flex under-saddle pickup in both my Flamenco and my classical and I have been very happy! Price is pretty reasonable as well.

http://www.aamps.us/shadowpickups/sh...hnfx-ep-c.html
Old 02-06-2012, 01:35 PM

Default Mr Fat Top

Just went to your website David, AND YOUR MUSIC IS BEAUTIFUL,
Guitars sound great. Waiting to hear more.
Mr Fat Top
Old 02-06-2012, 10:36 PM

Sorry. Still haven't received the pickup yet.

Mr. Fat Top, thanks for the comments. You should note I have a free CD giveaway on my website right now going through Valentines day...(Of course buying it is another great option, too).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical