The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-23-2010, 03:21 PM

Default taylor NS series guitars

Opinions on the NS24CE and NS34CE I want to buy a nylon string and would like to know something about them sound, volume, feel etc. I would really like a NS44 or 42CE but they are discontinued and hard to find. Any help please. Ralph
Old 11-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Musical minimalist

don't know what your prior experience or playing style are (are you predominantly going to be plugging in or playing acoustically?)

I'd reccomend you go to a store that has both the Taylors and some traditional classicals instruments so you can see the tonal differences (which are pretty great when you compare apples to apples pricewise).

Both the tone and feel of each of these types of instrument are vastly different.....you'll need to find out for yourself.

I'd also strongly reccomend buying one of the Taylors used if you decide to go that route, unless you don't mind losing a healthy chunk if you ever decide to let it go...

Old 11-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Default Taylor Nylons

I just got one and tried everything to love it and could not. It was an NS72ce.

Gorgeous fit and finish, but the sound was not as good as some $600 classic guitars I play at Guitar Center. Even a Cordoba crossover they have sounded better both plugged in and acoustically. I also found the narrower neck compromised the execution of some of my classical, finger style tunes.

I have decided to go with a nice conventional classic guitar as I will never look back to a Taylor nylon stringed instrument. They look and feel great but lack what you can get with a pure classic build for the same of less money.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:46 PM

I, too, have been looking the Taylor NS series. I play mostly flatpick, and thought it might lend an interesting sound to my duo to have a nylon string, but definitely wanted a crossover (and it's my understanding that all of the Taylor NS's are crossovers).

I am more concerned with the plugged-in sound, but I would also like to use it for recording, so the acoustic tone is also important. As another poster recommended, I'm looking at the Cordoba crossovers - specifically the Fusion Pro. Seems like a good value, and is an all-wood configuration for less than the price of the Taylor NS24 (which has laminate back and sides).

I've also considered the Yamaha NTX900, which is priced comparably to the Cordoba, though, I think it has a shallower body, which makes me think it might not have the acoustic tone of the Cordoba.

I'm just starting my research and haven't actually played anything yet, so, we'll see what my actual impressions of these instruments is once I've gotten my hand on a couple.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:54 PM

I like the Taylor NS guitars. If you spend some time developing your technique, I think they produce a fine sound as an acoustic instrument. They really shine when plugged in, however, which I think was the design point.

Personally, I prefer the 12 fret NS models and as a previous poster pointed out, a used NS is your best best. I think folks buy these guitars new, get frustrated with the challenges of playing a nylon string guitar and offer them up for sale at a good price.

And yes, as with other types of guitars, you can spend way less money and buy something made in China (Taylors are made in US or Mexico) that you might like better.

I happened across one of the new Yamaha NX guitars - don't recall the model, but the nut width was maybe 1.75" and the narrow string spacing at the bridge made it relatively difficult to play as a finger picker. YMMV.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Golly I just sold a 42.....

Anyway I originally sold it to buy a 72 but have since bauked on even the used price of a 72. I like the tone of my 42 but felt the 72 offered more dynamic range. The payability of the Taylor NS' are great. I just think they are built biased towards plugged in tone, which usually means heavier than strictly acoustic.

I am now cosidering several alternatives.

A very demanded instrument is the Cervantes Crossover, and the most expensive of my options. Other options are the Kenny Hill fingerstyle, Fernadez narrow nut width, La Patrie Concert, Yamaha NTX and NCX, and Breedlove Atlas. I really want to get a adjustable truss rod so that limits some of the options. Currently being weighed and soon to be tested is the Yamaha NTX1200r, all solid and well equipped in the middle of my price range.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp View Post
Golly I just sold a 42.....
I didn't mean to suggest that everyone sells their nylon string guitar out of frustration, Turp. Sometimes folks are moving up!

The OP was specifically asking about Taylor NS guitars and I would agree that the playability and ergonomics are superb, particularly for someone used to the characteristics of a steel string guitar.

My additional $.02, the NSx4 models I have auditioned have had more projection... maybe even louder than their NSx2 counterparts. But I find them not as warm sounding, which is the timbre I prefer.

I guess I should also admit that I have a very fine old concert instrument that I play at home. For gigs where I must wear nylon and be amplified, I take along the Taylor.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
I didn't mean to suggest that everyone sells their nylon string guitar out of frustration, Turp. Sometimes folks are moving up!
I was just implying that if timing had been different, my 42 would have been available. You're right I wasn't frustrated; just looking for a little more...
Old 11-24-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageom View Post
I just got one and tried everything to love it and could not. It was an NS72ce.

Gorgeous fit and finish, but the sound was not as good as some $600 classic guitars I play at Guitar Center. Even a Cordoba crossover they have sounded better both plugged in and acoustically. I also found the narrower neck compromised the execution of some of my classical, finger style tunes.

I have decided to go with a nice conventional classic guitar as I will never look back to a Taylor nylon stringed instrument. They look and feel great but lack what you can get with a pure classic build for the same of less money.
I experienced the same disappointment with the 72. I've sold it and have given up with acoustic crossovers for the time being. I've now gone back to an electric nylon string - the Godin ACS SA.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:37 PM

I picked up an NS24ce a few months back, primarily because of the sound, after playing through the stock at Elderly's. Quite simply, it sounded the best out of every classical I played that day, regardless of price. Rich, warm bass, yet crisp on the trebles, with outstanding projection. Looking forward to getting years of play time with this one.

So my recommendation would be to find a shop or two where you can play a bunch, and get what speaks to you.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:27 PM

That is my biggest problem its hard to find any nylon string Taylors in my area and if I am lucky enough to find one or two they are in difference stores which makes it hard to A/B them so the help from this forum really helps with my dicisions. Tonight I am going to try a 24 and 34 but they are 15 miles apart. Nylon strings are not that popular in my area. Guitar Center and Sam Ash have put just about everybody out of business and they have to order Taylor nylon string guitars, so thanks for the help you have given you people are great. Ralph
Old 11-25-2010, 08:27 AM

Well I thank you for your help. Last night I went out and tried a 24 and 34 at different locations and what I found was that the 34 sounded somewhat muffled of tight and the 24 was so much nicer sounding, brighter and more balanced it could be the laminate B/S so I bought the 24 and love it so thanks for all your help and opinions that were great. Thanks again Ralph
Old 11-25-2010, 09:13 AM

Congratulations on the new guitar, Ralph! The NS24 is a well designed instrument. I think the laminated, arched back is an asset - worked well for some Guild models for years.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:02 PM

Well, folks...I was really, really hoping to wait for a good deal on a Taylor NS, and I still may ultimately end up going that road. However, I've been watchin eBay the last couple of weeks for both the Taylors as well as others I was considering (Cordobas and Yamahas primarily), and there was an auction that ended yesterday on a store-demo Cordoba Fusion 14 RS.

I had read quite a bit about the sound both plugged and unplugged, but have never played one. I know it's a risky proposition to buy a guitar you haven't played, but the bidding was so low, I figured, I'd take a crack at it. Frankly, I'm shocked I won the auction - I got for a song (har har).

I have a couple of questions about it - but I'll post those on another thread. If it doesn't work out, I figure the deal is good enough that I can flip it (maybe even at a profit), at which point, I'd probably turn my attention back to the Taylors.

FYI - it's probably been said here before, but if you're looking at a Taylor NS, I'd recommend contacting Jim at Guitar Rodeo. Great service, great prices.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical