The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-10-2009, 12:33 PM

Default Watch for Barberry Thorns...upside?

So Monday I grabbed a plastic bag of trash my wife had left in the garage and got a barberry thorn in the tip of my left hand index finger - if you've never had one of these small thorns, make sure you avoid them - very painful. Started hurting a bit then by Tuesday evening, I dug out the tiny little thorn with a needle - my finger is still so sore I can't even touch the tip...tried to play some and any index fingering almost brings tears to my eyes...however, I can still play bar chords and as far as practicing, I've tried some shifting everything down and playing with alternate fingerings is quite a challenge, but I am finding I can still play many things...C chord with pinky, ring, and index, same for D chord, D7, etc. ...it is actually turning out to be something that has forced me to practice substitute fingerings...something I probably would never have done...computer keyboard is also a challenge....still, can't wait till the finger heals, but as sore as it is, probably will be at least a week.

2010 Simon Fay German Spruce/ EIR OM
2010 Taylor NS24ce Nylon
2006 Cordoba 55R Nylon
2008 Takamine Nylon Crossover TC135SC
1978 Takamine Nylon C128
2006 Miranda Nylon (My Motorcycle Guitar)
1973 Guild G37 Sitka/Maple

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write