The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-19-2019, 11:31 AM

Default Strap Length- Sitting vs. Standing

For those who use a strap while sitting as a way to keep the guitar “anchored,” do you find the same length works as when standing? I find that the guitar is a bit low and not fully supported by the strap when sitting if I keep it the same length I use for standing. I keep it at nerdy proper height when standing, not some rock star low slung position. Is there something wrong with my seated posture or are two different strap lengths needed?
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 08-19-2019, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I use a strap both seated and standing and I have not had to change the length. But, like you, it is probably higher than a cool rocker. For me, I just shift it at a slightly different angle when I am seated. I also have the narrower end at the butt of the guitar and there is usually an extra hole that I can switch to if I want a bit more slack or lift. Not every strap has that option though.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-19-2019, 04:07 PM

Since converting to standing for performance, I also wear a strap even when sitting.

I have not noticed any issues, other than needing to pay attention to the neck (making sure it does not end up horizontal since that discourages good wrist location).

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 08-19-2019, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

I measure my strap length by sitting down and seeing if the guitar sits higher when I sit. If it does I shorten the strap until the guitar sits the same no matter if I sit or stand.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-23-2019, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

I don't think I need the strap sitting. I play with a strap seated with the guitar on my right leg. It puts the guitar at just about the same place as standing so I don't have to change the strap length at all.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:41 PM

I'm used to playing sitting. So I adjust the strap to get the same position when I have to play standing.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:49 AM
Charter Member

Hi, as some might know, I make all my own straps - nonadjustable - 44" between centres - done.

Of course losing over 40lbs in 2017 and staying "thinner" - my shape has changed somewhat but my straps are still fine.

I'm just sitting here blinking at the screen and wondering - why would anyone use a strap when seated ?

Fill me in someone.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:18 AM

I only use a strap when standing. The strap stays in the case otherwise.

I stand at all my gigs. I sit when I play at home.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 08-24-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, as some might know, I make all my own straps - nonadjustable - 44" between centres - done.

Of course losing over 40lbs in 2017 and staying "thinner" - my shape has changed somewhat but my straps are still fine.

I'm just sitting here blinking at the screen and wondering - why would anyone use a strap when seated ?

Fill me in someone.
Two reasons. One I find it helps keep the guitar in place. Two, sometimes I like to alternate between sitting and standing while practicing and then the strap is already on.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 08-24-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

Fill me in someone.
Certainly what davidbeinct said above, plus I like to assume all sorts of positions to play in when I sit. Sometimes it's just comfortable to slouch and play.

My main reason was a bit different when I used to play out more, though. During my 30 years of doing bar, wedding, party, and convention gigs I almost always stood. I got in the habit of using a strap when sitting at home because it would just feel totally weird to stand and play with a strap when I didn't do the same thing sitting at home. This is mostly when I'm slinging an electric guitar, which I do often at home.

I don't use a strap on my acoustic guitars at home, but I also sit if I'm playing out which I still occasionally do.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Default Strap standing vs sitting?

Hi david b

I’m most interested how the guitar is positioned relative to my body, and the angle of the neck (headstock between chin and lip level…lower bout angled to accomodate that). And for left-right adjustment, when I lift my left hand (fret hand) it falls between frets 1-3, and when I drop my right arm, the hand if over the soundhole (I finger style all the time). Minimum stress and most relaxed position I can find.

So I don’t care whether it’s standing with a strap, sitting with a lift (NeckUP in my case) or just crossing my leg and propping it up, I’m going to make sure the guitar is positioned right for me to play most efficiently.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write