The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-08-2019, 02:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Swannanoa is guitar heaven for beginners up to advanced players. Loads of great instructors. The vibe is amazing with opportunities to jam and play live.
Great also for singer songwriters wanting to get there songwriting chops juiced.
Just got back from 2019 Guitar Week at Swannanoa last week and it was wonderful. We really lucked out on the weather with temps in the low 60’s in the mornings and never getting over the low 80’s at mid-day. One of my classes was Guitar Group with Clive Carroll. He split us into three groups (bass section, rhythm section, and lead section) and we learned three songs over the week and then were first up for the student concert on Friday night to perform all three. What a blast! I’ve attended two Tommy Emmanuel camps and while I had a good time, I got a lot more out of Swannanoa.

This is going to become an annual event for me.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 08-08-2019, 03:16 AM
Charter Member

This summer is actually the first year in the past nine that I have not attended the Swannanoa Gathering, but I hope to return next year. I love the Gathering. I learn a ton, have a great time in a beautiful location, make some friends and watch some fabulous guitarists during the week. There's something for everybody, from beginner to advanced. Great camp.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Just got back from 2019 Guitar Week at Swannanoa last week and it was wonderful. We really lucked out on the weather with temps in the low 60’s in the mornings and never getting over the low 80’s at mid-day. One of my classes was Guitar Group with Clive Carroll. He split us into three groups (bass section, rhythm section, and lead section) and we learned three songs over the week and then were first up for the student concert on Friday night to perform all three. What a blast! I’ve attended two Tommy Emmanuel camps and while I had a good time, I got a lot more out of Swannanoa.

Sweet. It’s such a treat to have so many like minded folks all in one place doing what they love. Like Kirbie, I did not make it this year. But my rug rat starts day care this year so next year I will be back.
See you there
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 08-08-2019, 04:56 AM

If there are any online instructors that you are fond of, check out their websites or Facebook pages. That may point you to some smaller workshops that you’re not aware of. Also, Acoustic Guitar Magazine usually publishes a list of summer workshops early in the year.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

I've attended Kaufman's Acoustic Kamp for the past two years. Quite the experience and I do recommend it.

I may take a break next year and do another camp somewhere else. Now that we've got bitten by the bug, we're going to try to make at least one camp a year....

D
Old 08-08-2019, 05:17 AM

www.guitarintensives.com

great week long guitar camp held in Bar Harbor Maine. Toby Walker was just there as an instructor.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 08-08-2019, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Like Kirbie, I did not make it this year. But my rug rat starts day care this year so next year I will be back. See you there
Counting the days, MB... looking forward to it!

For anyone interested in the blues, the Augusta Blues and Swing Week has a great reputation. I haven't been, but I've known several friends who have gone as students and staff. It's not limited to the blues, but I think that's where they specialize. Here's the link and it's in West Virginia.

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-08-2019 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post

I was in the same class (group 2). This was the third time I’ve taken Clive’s Guitar Group (every time he has offered it as far as I know).

Agree about the weather. This is the fifth straight year I’ve attended the Swannanoa Gathering and this year was the best weather yet.

I am hoping to make it six in a row next year.
2015 Martin CEO-7
2012 Martin OM-21
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-04
2011 Taylor GA8
1930's Supertone Parlor
Old 08-17-2019, 04:57 PM

I just finished up a summer of teaching fingerstyle guitar at 3 camps--one of which has already been mentioned (Swannanoa). The other two are California Coast Music camp http://www.musiccamp.org Coincidentally, it's held in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains, about an hour from Sacramento. And the Puget Sound Guitar workshop,which occurs near Port Orchard, Washington http://www.pugetsoundguitarworkshop.com
Old 08-18-2019, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstillway View Post
I just finished up a summer of teaching fingerstyle guitar at 3 camps--one of which has already been mentioned (Swannanoa). The other two are California Coast Music camp http://www.musiccamp.org Coincidentally, it's held in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains, about an hour from Sacramento. And the Puget Sound Guitar workshop,which occurs near Port Orchard, Washington http://www.pugetsoundguitarworkshop.com
I took Jamie’s The Well Tempered Guitarist class at Swannanoa and I highly recommend. She is engaging and very entertaining in the class and I came away with a new sense of purpose in disciplining and developing my rhythm/groove skills. Look forward to taking another class with her in the future.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write