The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-15-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
No, you are correct, it isn't. There are also issues of conscience that can apply and which can be very subjective of course.
I like the "walk a mile in my shoes" approach.
I am selling something and out of ignorance it is priced too low. A prospective buyer informs me of that.
Not only am I grateful for the honesty and respectful of that person but I also have been exposed to a "higher" ethic by example for my own future practice.
Seems like a very good thing to me.
Yes, it seems like a very good thing to you.
No problem.

Responses on this thread demonstrate taking another approach seems like a very good thing to those posters.

Neither "disappoint" me.
I accept this diversity.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:00 PM

I'm in favor of an informed decision from all parties. If I go to a garage sale and find something, guitar or otherwise, that I know is far underpriced I will say something. If the owner says something like, "Yeah, I know but I just want to get rid of it" them I will buy it for the asking price. However if the owner had no idea it was priced far too low, I would NOT buy it at the "steal" price.

That's just me. I'm not preaching, judging, or expecting anyone else to behave the same way. I just make my decisions based on what is fair for all. Period.

My Dad was famous for being this way and it just seems the best way to do these things to me.

Many years ago my family was shopping at a bookstore and my daughter found a book she wanted but when we got out to the car we realized we didn't pay for her book. She was mortified (she was around 8-9 years old) and I told her not to worry and took her back into the store with the book and told the clerk we accidentally didn't pay for the book but wanted to do so.

The young clerk was very surprised and told us we really didn't have to do this. I told her, "Yes we do" and handed over the money. It was simply the right thing to do.

I was in a sporting goods store a while back and was handed a handful of money (more than $50) as change from a $20 bill for a $12 purchase. I laid it all on the counter and asked the clerk if he realized what he had just done. It turned out he was the manager and simply didn't realize what he had done. He thanked me for my honesty, quickly figured out my correct change and put the rest back in the till.

I'm not saying I am anything special in any way. This is just how I live my life and if I were to come across a ridiculously low price on a guitar at a garage sale I would most definitely say something.

Best,
PJ

Last edited by Photojeep; 07-15-2019 at 03:01 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-15-2019, 03:03 PM

Let’s actually put the blame where it belongs. The parents of this younger generation did not instill in them the value of quality and antiques.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
Scenario 1:
Let’s say you went to a garage sale and saw something that you new was too cheap. Would you let the sellers know? Would you make sure they new? Or would you just buy it—-they didn’t do their research, their loss, your gain?

Scenario 2:
Same as above but husband wasn’t there, didn’t answer his phone when wife called him, you don’t know his thoughts, and she made you a ridiculous offer.

What would you do?

Note: to further complicate things, ad say’s “Garage Sale- Everything Must Go- My Loss, Your again”
Treat these situations exactly as you would want someone else to treat you should the situation be reversed.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:07 PM

Is there any obligation for the seller to make the effort to know what they are selling? Just asking. It seems like they shouldn’t be relying on the buyer to tell them how to price their wares except in the most esoteric of collectibles.

If Buffy and Biff are selling papas dirty old old Martin at their Country Club residence yard sale for $7.00—or for that matter, left it on the curb with the trash—who’s fault is that?
Old 07-15-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
I'm in favor of an informed decision from all parties. If I go to a garage sale and find something, guitar or otherwise, that I know is far underpriced I will say something. If the owner says something like, "Yeah, I know but I just want to get rid of it" them I will buy it for the asking price. However if the owner had no idea it was priced far too low, I would NOT buy it at the "steal" price.

That's just me. I'm not preaching, judging, or expecting anyone else to behave the same way. I just make my decisions based on what is fair for all. Period.

My Dad was famous for being this way and it just seems the best way to do these things to me.

Many years ago my family was shopping at a bookstore and my daughter found a book she wanted but when we got out to the car we realized we didn't pay for her book. She was mortified (she was around 8-9 years old) and I told her not to worry and took her back into the store with the book and told the clerk we accidentally didn't pay for the book but wanted to do so.

The young clerk was very surprised and told us we really didn't have to do this. I told her, "Yes we do" and handed over the money. It was simply the right thing to do.

I was in a sporting goods store a while back and was handed a handful of money (more than $50) as change from a $20 bill for a $12 purchase. I laid it all on the counter and asked the clerk if he realized what he had just done. It turned out he was the manager and simply didn't realize what he had done. He thanked me for my honesty, quickly figured out my correct change and put the rest back in the till.

I'm not saying I am anything special in any way. This is just how I live my life and if I were to come across a ridiculously low price on a guitar at a garage sale I would most definitely say something.

Best,
PJ
Thanks...made my day and good for you. What a great example for your daughter.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-15-2019, 07:43 PM

For those of the opinion that it's a buyer's duty (moral obligation) to inform a seller of their pricing "error": Have you thought of the risk that a garage sale buyer takes that the item is fake? Flawed/broken? Stolen? Being sold without the rightful owner's consent?
Old 07-15-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Scenario 2:
Same as above but husband wasn’t there, didn’t answer his phone when wife called him, you don’t know his thoughts, and she made you a ridiculous offer.

What would you do?
Other than being somewhat sexist, this question doesn't make sense. Who has a garage sale but doesn't decide beforehand how they want to price things?

Besides, one of the fundamental reasons for going to a garage sale, for me at least, is to get a good deal. I don't think I'm alone in this. If there's a stupid good deal, all the better!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 07-15-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
I'm in favor of an informed decision from all parties.....
So you'd readily hand over your years of research, knowledge, and information to a stranger who has clearly not spent any time at all to inform themselves? And apparently they don't even care to inform themselves of the value of something they are selling?

2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 07-15-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
I don't think I would take advantage of someone who couldn't possibly know better.
What do you mean they couldn't possibly know better? If they spent 3 minutes on google, they'd know better.

2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 07-15-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolbury View Post
The simple code is to treat others as you would like to be treated.
But clearly, in this situation, YOU wouldn't put a $50 sticker on a $3,000 guitar.

In general, garage sales are not charity events. In my experience, people come looking for bargains. Not only that, if you've got an item listed for $50, you'll typically hear "Will you take 30?"

2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 07-16-2019, 03:42 AM

I’ll go with the previously mentioned: “There’s a man in the mirror or there isn’t”.

I had sort of a reverse situation a few years back when I decluttered and had a garage sale. A man was interested in my maple sugar-making paraphernalia. I had no price listed or mentioned so I asked him to make me an offer. He offered what I thought was way too much so I countered at half that. He was a bit surprised and took it all. He was happy. So was I.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Bain: Dilemma:

Scenario 1: They may not know the true value of the item

Scenario 2: You suspect wife may not know, husband does but wife is making the offer because she can’t contact husband
Scenario 3: Husband has gone, left note with wife: "Floozy Belle and I are running away together. Sell my stuff and send me the money." And wife knows EXACTLY what the item is really worth.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCady View Post
Scenario 3: Husband has gone, left note with wife: "Floozy Belle and I are running away together. Sell my stuff and send me the money." And wife knows EXACTLY what the item is really worth.
Some badly-needed humor.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-16-2019, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

In reality when this type of thing happens to me the item in question is something I don't want. So I inform the person in charge and go about my way. Other than that everything depends on the circumstances at the time in question. Reality is always different than a written hypothetical question.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic