The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-19-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetophere View Post
(If you aren't aware, among other things - Segovia owned and played one of Mr. Brune's guitars).
I think Segovia never played one of those guitars in concert, or as his main guitar, but i may be wrong.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:38 AM

I think "buying North American" or "buying British (in my case)" can be an uncomfortable stance for us to take, mainly because we want our products to compete fairly in the overseas marketplace, but we do not want overseas products to compete fairly within our own shores. I remember that we were urged to "buy British" in the 80s, but it seemed an anomalous argument given what we were trying to do with our products internationally.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I think "buying North American" or "buying British (in my case)" can be an uncomfortable stance for us to take, mainly because we want our products to compete fairly in the overseas marketplace, but we do not want overseas products to compete fairly within our own shores. I remember that we were urged to "buy British" in the 80s, but it seemed an anomalous argument given what we were trying to do with our products internationally.
Good point. I think the key point is buy the superior product. In the case of nylon guitars, especially hybrids, US builders in my price range are limited to just about one or maybe two.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick375 View Post
Tom, You say everything I usually say. Its funny, when I got married a few months ago my wife was driving a honda accord and I told her after we got married she needs to dump the honda and buy american. Yup, she bought a Ford escape built in Kansas. I always liked the saying " out of work? Hungry? Eat your import."
Just for the sake of the intelligent life forms: a Honda Accord would have been built in Marysville, Ohio which, the last time I consulted a map is in the USA.

And, BTW, most Ford parts are made overseas and have been for some time.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwayne View Post
Just for the sake of the intelligent life forms: a Honda Accord would have been built in Marysville, Ohio which, the last time I consulted a map is in the USA.

And, BTW, most Ford parts are made overseas and have been for some time.
I must have been mistaken when her Honda said made in Japan and her Escape says made in Kansas. Sorry, I guess my intelligance must be somewhere between a plant and an insect. I also didn't realize that Honda was an American company and that this site was to have posts about cars. I thought it was for guitars.
Thanks for the sarcastic post!
Old 11-22-2010, 05:21 PM

Hey Rick

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that "markwayne" has an MIJ or MIK car in his yard!

Tom C.

Herk Favilla Mahogany Classical, 1960's
Alvarez Yairi CYM 95, 2004
Dauphin DS65CE, 1992
Old 11-22-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox103 View Post
Hey Rick

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that "markwayne" has an MIJ or MIK car in his yard!

Tom C.
YA RIGHT. ALL I WANTED TO KNOW IS IF THERE ARE ANY AMERICAN BUILDERS THAT CAN FIT MY PRICE RANGE AND ALL IM GETTING IS SARCASTIC REMARKS BECAUSE I WANT TO SUPPORT THE COUNTRY I LIVE IN. IM NOT SAYING EVERYONE SHOULD BY AMERICAN OR EVEN CONCIDERATE IT. I JUST THINK THAT THE WAY THIS COUNTRY IS THAT MORE PEOPLE WOULD WANT TO SUPPORT AMERICAN PRODUCTS. I GUESS I SHOULDN'T OF EVEN ASKED THE QUESTION. ITS FUNNY CAUSE AFTER 3 PAGES OF POSTS NOONE HAS REALLY EVEN MADE A SUGGESTION.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:27 PM

What was your question anyways?

Herk Favilla Mahogany Classical, 1960's
Alvarez Yairi CYM 95, 2004
Dauphin DS65CE, 1992
Old 11-22-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox103 View Post
What was your question anyways?
ARE THERE ANY AMERICAN MADE NYLONS IN THE 1000 TO 1500 RANGE? THE GUILDS ARE NOW MADE IN CHINA, AND I HAVEN'T HEARD MANY GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE TAYLORS;PLUS THEY ALL SEEM TO BE ELECTRIC AND I'M LOOKING FOR STRICKLY ACOUSTIC. I'M LEANING TOWARDS THE KREMONA ROMIDA. SEEMS LIKE A GOOD GUITAR FOR THE MONEY.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
YA RIGHT. ALL I WANTED TO KNOW IS IF THERE ARE ANY AMERICAN BUILDERS THAT CAN FIT MY PRICE RANGE AND ALL IM GETTING IS SARCASTIC REMARKS BECAUSE I WANT TO SUPPORT THE COUNTRY I LIVE IN. IM NOT SAYING EVERYONE SHOULD BY AMERICAN OR EVEN CONCIDERATE IT. I JUST THINK THAT THE WAY THIS COUNTRY IS THAT MORE PEOPLE WOULD WANT TO SUPPORT AMERICAN PRODUCTS. I GUESS I SHOULDN'T OF EVEN ASKED THE QUESTION. ITS FUNNY CAUSE AFTER 3 PAGES OF POSTS NOONE HAS REALLY EVEN MADE A SUGGESTION.
Ah, all caps. Good, so we know you're yelling?

You got answers on page 1. There's really not any american companies making what I would call a great nylon string guitars in that range. You might look for a used lutheir build, or a used taylor (which are completely underwhelming IMHO)

I'm pretty sure someone else mentioned the used Guilds as a good value as well.

Nylon string guitar isn't that popular in the US in the "big scheme," therefore not many companies are focusing much attention on making anylon string guitar in that price range...you have budget models made in canada by la patrie, and a lot of asian made guitars. Then you get into the American built, small luthier stuff that is considerably more expensive because it's not only difficult and expensive to build a good nylon string, there's also not as much of a market for them as for steel strings.

I got smart alecky remarks sent my way when I said I wouldn't necessarily associate "America" with "Quality" when it comes to nylon string guitars. There's some small builders doing amazing stuff, and they probably spend more on wood than the budget you mentioned. The big American companies currently haven't a clue as to what a good classical guitar is, IMHO.

There's nothing wrong with that--people have specialties. I also don't expect anything too amazing in the pizza at the end of the local chinese buffet.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-22-2010, 06:51 PM

Kremonas seem to be excellent guitars and a steal for the price, by the way. I used to have an Orpheus Valley Fiesta - solid cedar top/solid rosewood back and sides - and it had a beautiful sound. Killer prices because they're made in Bulgaria and not Spain.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Ah, all caps. Good, so we know you're yelling?

You got answers on page 1. There's really not any american companies making what I would call a great nylon string guitars in that range. You might look for a used lutheir build, or a used taylor (which are completely underwhelming IMHO)

I'm pretty sure someone else mentioned the used Guilds as a good value as well.

Nylon string guitar isn't that popular in the US in the "big scheme," therefore not many companies are focusing much attention on making anylon string guitar in that price range...you have budget models made in canada by la patrie, and a lot of asian made guitars. Then you get into the American built, small luthier stuff that is considerably more expensive because it's not only difficult and expensive to build a good nylon string, there's also not as much of a market for them as for steel strings.

I got smart alecky remarks sent my way when I said I wouldn't necessarily associate "America" with "Quality" when it comes to nylon string guitars. There's some small builders doing amazing stuff, and they probably spend more on wood than the budget you mentioned. The big American companies currently haven't a clue as to what a good classical guitar is, IMHO.

There's nothing wrong with that--people have specialties. I also don't expect anything too amazing in the pizza at the end of the local chinese buffet.
i wasnt yelling. i had caps lock on. sorry if it came across that way. thank you for the info
Old 11-22-2010, 08:33 PM

Augustino LoPrinzi hand-makes a killer, no-frills student model in his Fla. shop.

http://www.augustinoloprinzi.com/models_and_prices.htm
Old 11-23-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Yes I did mean North America, sorry. I would even prefer to buy from this continent rather than China
Used, look for a Guild. Mark III can be found under $1k and you might even find a IV within your budget.

New, the Cervantes Crossover 1 is made in North America (Paracho, Mexico).

And don't discount the Taylor NS guitars just because of some faceless opinions on a guitar forum somewhere. (Most of the guitar players I have met haven't a clue how to draw a good tone from a nylon stringed instrument). Try one. The lower end models, NS32, NS42, are the best value and used they can be found well within your budget. A Taylor NS may not be ready to play Symphony Hall, but my bet is that most of the NS naysayers aren't either!

I applaud your conviction.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Is it "buying American" that's most important, or are you equating "American" with "Quality."

I ask, because, IMHO, America wouldn't be the first country I think of when I think "Classical Guitar."

Jeez, did I use enough "quotes" in that post or what?
I have been playing classical guitars since I was ten years old. Three or four years ago I had the opportunity to try three made-in-USA classical guitars (each from a different luthier) that were the equal of the best from Spain that I've tried.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical