The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-27-2022, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Default I'm Going to Quit Singing

I think I am going to quit singing. Mostly any way. It's never been something I aspired to. I started singing after I learned guitar so that I had more of a reason to play more guitar. And to somehow validate my guitar infatuation. And do material I liked. This past couple of years I have been doing a short set at an open mic and it's been an enjoyable personal learning experience. I get good responses and offers to do shows. I've done those things in the past and it's just work to me. They are not fun just an accomplishment in the end. I don't feel that playing musical pieces are that entertaining. So, when this open mic opportunity came about, I gravitated to doing the songs, a show. Then I got tired of the show I had so I reinvented my show. Now I think I'm throwing that out also. What I really want to do is play musical pieces on my guitar. So, I am going to become, in my mind, that boring guy that plays his guitar while people wait to do their thing. This will be another learning experience. But I'm looking forward to it. Time for me to get to work on yet another new show.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-27-2022, 08:51 AM

so, question...

why QUIT?

reset your focus for now, and follow your desires. that's great, helps us grow as players,

but if you've got the abilities and a good voice, keep it on the back burner.

I think I get what you're feeling tho.

I do a few solo things a year, mostly they are repeat things where I'm just the guy the want there to do the music. and there's a restaurant a few towns over that I'll be doing a few friday nights out on their patio, as solo performer over the warm weather months

I like the distance between the gigs tho because like you I have other interests too. If I was doing this regularly, I think I'd take too much time away from the other things I enjoy pursuing to keep all that solo stuff current and fresh. there is some work involved, I get that..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-29-2022, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Since I have never heard you sing, I can't comment on that. However, I do think that re-evaluating what we are doing and where we are going and what we want to do, is a very useful thing to do from time to time.

My personal opinion on singing is that there are many people I hear in the media who I wish would not sing because their voices are just plain irritating.

It is unfortunate that when people see us with an acoustic guitar, they seem to naturally expect us to sing, and find solo instrumental guitar to be boring. We just have to accept that and go our on way. There are situations where such music is appropriate and people do appreciate it in those situations.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-29-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Since I have never heard you sing, I can't comment on that. However, I do think that re-evaluating what we are doing and where we are going and what we want to do, is a very useful thing to do from time to time.

My personal opinion on singing is that there are many people I hear in the media who I wish would not sing because their voices are just plain irritating.

It is unfortunate that when people see us with an acoustic guitar, they seem to naturally expect us to sing, and find solo instrumental guitar to be boring. We just have to accept that and go our on way. There are situations where such music is appropriate and people do appreciate it in those situations.

Tony
True,, playing guitar is one thing

singing is something else.

given the two, the easier one is the guitar. Voice and getting it right for me is a lot of work.

God just didn't give me the pipes, but I got the hands so I'll make due.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-29-2022, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Say it aint so

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-29-2022, 11:17 AM

I think the problem with many contemporary fingerstyle acoustic guitarists attempting to entertain people is that their choice of material all too often is dreadful, even though they might be proficient players. In many cases, they seem to be trying to make a name for themselves as composers, as well, and the result is invariably some turgid, windy number that hardly anyone would want to hear.

But when a great player chooses or plays something really good, it's a different ball game. Some of the most exciting moments I remember in acoustic guitar playing have been Big Bill Broonzy playing "House Rent Stomp" and "Shuffle Rag," a British guitarist whose name I've forgotten playing a wonderfully ponderous version of "The Entertainer," Duck Baker playing "Maple Leaf Rag" on a classical, Ton Van Bergeyk playing "Blakes Breakdown," Ry Cooder doing Joseph Spence's "Great Dreams of Heaven" on the album Jazz. These are pieces that should make anyone into fingerstyle guitar really sit up.

I remember hearing once that as well as being an innovator and master of fingerstyle, Chet Atkins also had a knack for knowing which songs would translate well to playing solo guitar. That's a knack worth having, I think, for anyone wanting to entertain members of the public or even those of their own family.
Old 05-29-2022, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

I think it's good to develop your playing ability on the guitar no matter what the future holds. It will be fun! And you'll be a better guitar player in the end!

- Glenn
Old 05-29-2022, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I think the problem with many contemporary fingerstyle acoustic guitarists attempting to entertain people is that their choice of material all too often is dreadful, even though they might be proficient players. In many cases, they seem to be trying to make a name for themselves as composers, as well, and the result is invariably some turgid, windy number that hardly anyone would want to hear.

But when a great player chooses or plays something really good, it's a different ball game. Some of the most exciting moments I remember in acoustic guitar playing have been Big Bill Broonzy playing "House Rent Stomp" and "Shuffle Rag," a British guitarist whose name I've forgotten playing a wonderfully ponderous version of "The Entertainer," Duck Baker playing "Maple Leaf Rag" on a classical, Ton Van Bergeyk playing "Blakes Breakdown," Ry Cooder doing Joseph Spence's "Great Dreams of Heaven" on the album Jazz. These are pieces that should make anyone into fingerstyle guitar really sit up.

I remember hearing once that as well as being an innovator and master of fingerstyle, Chet Atkins also had a knack for knowing which songs would translate well to playing solo guitar. That's a knack worth having, I think, for anyone wanting to entertain members of the public or even those of their own family.
Nicely said!!…turgid windy numbers indeed….I gotta remember not to play any of those..
Old 05-30-2022, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post

Very good points here. All the pieces you mentioned have strong melody and forward motion, good song form, and most importantly, rhythm that the listener can toe tap too.

As for picking appropriate tunes, there is a lot to be said for that. When I was in a full time working trio, much of our practice time was spent trying different tunes to find those that worked for us. Our individual skill sets, the instrumentation, the vocal range, etc., all came into play. We rejected more tunes than we kept, but those we kept came together easily and well.

Joe Pass said that if you have to struggle to play a tune, the audience has to struggle to listen to it. Things have to flow easily so that you and the audience are enjoying themselves.

I still believe that for most people, some instrumentals mixed in with a presentation of vocals will hold their interest much longer than all instrumentals unless the audience is made up of people specifically there to hear instrumentals.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-30-2022, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Very good points here. All the pieces you mentioned have strong melody and forward motion, good song form, and most importantly, rhythm that the listener can toe tap too.
That's a sharp observation. And although Chet Atkins wasn't recorded playing acoustics as much as he was hollow-bodied electrics, the muted bass line style he helped popularize is very rhythmical.

My own way into instrumentals also sometimes involves some electronics. Aside from some basic sound-shaping, like chorus, reverb and delay, I have three Godin guitars which have synth access. These are great for putting string, organ, choral, or other backings to songs. A fingerpicked version of "Yesterday," for example, can sound quite stirring against a background of strings. Some echo-delay a-la Chet Atkins sounds great with stuff like 'Freight Train' and 'Make Me a Pallet on Your Floor,' amongst others.

Some may consider the term 'acoustic pickup' an oxymoron, but there are and some great electronic sounds we can use to spice up instrumentals while still playing in an essentially acoustic style.
Old 05-30-2022, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Say it aint so
Thanks! I love it

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-30-2022, 08:56 AM

From the beginning, I was really most interested in playing like Leo Kottke, or John Fahey, or (later) Michael Hedges. I have sung at jams, and have enjoyed it, in part because folks are taking a crack at singing harmony. But if I am doing anything solo, singing is not what i enjoy, and I dint really have what most would consider to be the voice of a lead singer.

Granted I am not as proficient at fingerstyle guitar as any of the folks I have mentioned, and will not be that proficient in this lifetime. But ai can play some stuff pretty well. And if that doesn’t have broad appeal, I will live with that. After all, this is not a second or third career for me. I like sharing my music, but I can be content playing in a park while people walk by, or playing at a Farmer’s Market for a few tips and three free zucchinis.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic