The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-27-2022, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Default Truck theft and juvenile delinquency

Had a group of 3 teenagers steal my 2019 Ford Ranger out of my driveway and crash it after going 100 plus mph down a 4 lane highway and attempt to make a high speed turn off the highway and wrecked. All 3 were apprehended after fleeing from the police.

I know kids do dumb things and I try to be reasonable and give the benefit of the doubt. I did dumb stuff when I was a kid.

Just trying to see the positive in all of it. Nobody was hurt thankfully and the damage to my truck is repairable.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

But who pays?
Old 05-27-2022, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

I and my friends did dumb things when we were young but nothing close to stealing a vehicle.

It seems to me that young people no longer understand the consequences of their actions. I am continually disgusted and confused about how many young people are committing very violent acts these days. Its like they don't understand what they are actually doing.

I recall the movie "Friday", where Craig's father tells him to put down the gun and fight like a man. That's what we did. Nobody ever thought about shooting someone over an insult or challenge.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
But who pays?
Well thankfully we are part owners in an auto body shop started by my wife's father which is perhaps the only reason why I can attempt to pull a glass half full at this moment.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvblues View Post
Just trying to see the positive in all of it. Nobody was hurt thankfully and the damage to my truck is repairable.
For me that's it.

Life is the problems we encounter. It's a fact that experimentation is part of learning. Thus, growing up involves all that. Not all actions are well thought out. Some actions have permanent results. These things have been going on since the beginning of time. And since we still have time they will keep happening. What would our world be like with our children as stepford clones?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-27-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guitar View Post
I and my friends did dumb things when we were young but nothing close to stealing a vehicle.

It seems to me that young people no longer understand the consequences of their actions. I am continually disgusted and confused about how many young people are committing very violent acts these days. Its like they don't understand what they are actually doing.

I recall the movie "Friday", where Craig's father tells him to put down the gun and fight like a man. That's what we did. Nobody ever thought about shooting someone over an insult or challenge.
I grew up over 40 years ago and I can tell you for a fact that kids did this back then...and worse. Nothing has changed. Kids are always going to think they will live forever and that there's no consequences for their actions. It's just a natural part of physical brain development in humans. All one can hope for is that they (and we) survive as they (and we) pass through that phase. Now "get off my lawn!"
Old 05-27-2022, 08:25 AM

What a horrible thing. I'm glad you are okay and hope you have a good as possible resolution. I'm curious to know how a late model vehicle was stollen assuming a 2019 would have the modern schemas with chip or encryption in key or the remote.

Best wishes for your resolving all this.

Edit: I agree with the comments on time. My wife and I have lived on what I'll call two sides of the tracks or town. Our current very upper middle class or higher low crime neighborhood will get problems like this just like living in lesser areas. Making very poor choices is an all over problem.

Last edited by imwjl; 05-27-2022 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:25 AM

Felonies aren't "dumb stuff."

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-27-2022, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Glad nobody was hurt, or worse, ESPECIALLY innocent bystanders and families on the road at the same time!

Sorry, but they would get the book thrown at them, and then, hopefully they will mend their errant ways. Stupid mistakes are one thing, but grand theft auto, and felony fleeing from police is a whole different animal.

I'm a little sensitive right now, as we had a young punk flee through our neck of the woods over 100mph, leave the road, and punch a hole in a widow's house, decapitating himself in the process. Really affected many people's lives in a very bad way.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 05-27-2022, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

I think the end point becomes. Nobody is advocating that children, or anybody, should do anything wrong. But there is no reason to condemn humanity because of these things.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-27-2022, 08:57 AM

glad they survived, but that was beyond dumb.

egging your car is dumb,

tossing a few rolls of toilet paper on your trees and shrubs is dumb.

grand theft goes beyond dumb.

one can only hope they are held accountable, and learn from this reckless decision they made.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-27-2022, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I think the end point becomes. Nobody is advocating that children, or anybody, should do anything wrong. But there is no reason to condemn humanity because of these things.
I agree and have a data set that has me thinking a whole lot of juveniles are wiser about dumb things youth will do. With decades of leadership in a youth institution we have fewer who join those making bad decisions. Today's my twins' senior skip day in the state's 4th biggest high school. The bulk of kids are not doing the foolish things much of my cohort did. My wife teaches in a fairly troubled big city high school - 30 years now. She sees most kids tending towards making decent decisions.

Our police sergeant friend would at times feel matters look worse because of how much more of what they do is recorded and reported.

My core concern here is no one hurt and hoping @wblues has a good resolution.

Last edited by imwjl; 05-27-2022 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:32 AM

I think the only positive is that if these kids decide this is the turning point in their lives and that they start to walk the straight line. They could have taken out a complete family. Glad no one was hurt and that they were apprehended.

I hope everything turns out 'easy' with the insurance company.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guitar View Post

I remember my Dad saying the same thing I the '60's. The more things change....
Old 05-27-2022, 11:06 AM
Guest 33123

Sorry to hear you are dealing with this but also happy that it wasn't worse. It sure could have been.

Let's not let this devolve into a bunch of "kids these days" bull. I'm a 50 year old father to a 16 year old and a 20 year old. They are thoughtful and law-abiding young people with a future. We provided them with a good, stable home. Many kids don't get that and this has always been the case, especially in my neighbourhood growing up. Lots of abused and neglected kids.

So try to think back to all the dumb stuff YOU did at that age. Probably straighten your hair to remember.

P.S. I also mentor college age interns at work. I am consistently impressed with these young people.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 05-27-2022 at 12:13 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic