The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-24-2022, 04:30 AM

Default Darn it - Thom Bresh has passed away

This news was not a surprise, as Breshman had been dealing with cancer over the last year. But I discovered Thom Bresh and the world of Travis, Chet, Buster B. Jones, and many others early on in my guitar playing journey, some fifteen years ago.

Bresh was a character, bottom line. He entertained well and he taught well. While there are not that many lessons of his available, the sine qua non of Travis lessons is his Homespun course, “Like Father, Like Son.”

Bresh had grown up in the movie industry of the 1950s and his Dad, Bud Bresh, ran a ranch that was used in many ‘oaters (cowboy movies)’ of that time. His father was Merle Travis, and as both of them aged, they grew closer and performed together. Bresh used his experiences in film to make quite a few shorts which you can find on his homepage. Some are hokey, some are brilliant. They are pure Bresh.

Thanks for the lessons and the smiles Thom. I wish I could have met you, but thanks to modern recording and technology, I suspect I already have.
Old 05-24-2022, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing the sad news. Bresh was a guitar Force for sure.
Maybe this is what he's doing right now, finally reunited with his old friend.

(And you can't fake that laugh. He genuinely loved playing with Buster)

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 05-24-2022, 06:19 AM

First I've come across this name. That's some serious burning in that vid clip.

RIP Thom...

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-24-2022, 08:49 AM

Very sad news. There's some brilliant laughter on the duet cd he made with Buster.
Great player, great entertainer.
RIP Thom.
Nick
Old 05-24-2022, 06:25 PM

I’ve been fortunate to see and talk to Thom Bresh twice at house concerts. He was a true entertainer and an incredible talented guitar player.
I just thought about him on Sunday while taking a guitar clinic with Richard Smith.
Christian
Old 05-25-2022, 05:20 AM
Musical minimalist

He came on my radar the first time on Austin City Limits in the 80's with Chet Atkins. He was definitely an entertainer with a schtick.

I soon found out that a friend of my parents went to school with him in Kentucky and knew a lot about his history.

I got to see him perform around '90 and met him. He autographed a picture for me - have to dig it out.

He could certainly tear it up.

Last edited by fitness1; 05-25-2022 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:45 AM

I first came across him in 2007 when I bought my first copy of Fingerstyle Magazine and he was on the cover. There was a interview with him inside and an arrangement of 'Sweet Georgia Brown' of his that for me was an instant 'I've got to learn that!' I did learn it, but it's been some years since I've played it, so I think I've probably forgotten it. I must dig it out and jog my finger memory - it's a great version.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:10 AM

The Austin City limit video was great. Butch Thompson and Peter Ostroshko (sp) use to be regulars with Garrison Keillor and A Prairie Home Companion for years. Johnny Gimble was everywhere.

Sorry I wrote this before I got to the part in the video where they talked about it.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 05-25-2022 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:51 PM

Bresh had his own tv show at one time. I've seen clips. I'm surprised that didn't get him more noticed and "famous" for his guitar playing. I met him many times as we had a mutual friend. The man could pick and the man could entertain. It was fun to watch the "friendly" rivalry between him and Tommy E at one of Muriel Anderson's All Star Guitar nights during Nashville NAMM many years ago. :-)))

Thom and I were both at Scott Chinery's Blue Guitar party (the unveiling of the collection). Thom wasn't scheduled to play, but he did during dinner at the pool (couldn't see the pool as it was now covered and used as a floor). I watched Steve Howe stop eating his dinner and turn around to see who was playing it was so amazing.

A relatively unknown legend.
Old 05-26-2022, 03:00 AM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
This news was not a surprise, as Breshman had been dealing with cancer over the last year. But I discovered Thom Bresh and the world of Travis, Chet, Buster B. Jones, and many others early on in my guitar playing journey, some fifteen years ago.

Bresh was a character, bottom line. He entertained well and he taught well. While there are not that many lessons of his available, the sine qua non of Travis lessons is his Homespun course, “Like Father, Like Son.”

Bresh had grown up in the movie industry of the 1950s and his Dad, Bud Bresh, ran a ranch that was used in many ‘oaters (cowboy movies)’ of that time. His father was Merle Travis, and as both of them aged, they grew closer and performed together. Bresh used his experiences in film to make quite a few shorts which you can find on his homepage. Some are hokey, some are brilliant. They are pure Bresh.

Thanks for the lessons and the smiles Thom. I wish I could have met you, but thanks to modern recording and technology, I suspect I already have.
Thom was one of my heroes as a guitarman. I never saw him live, until his career was in decline, but he was still a 1st class performer, singer, and picker, even then! He was a fun loving borderline hedonist, who had more fun than 100 "normal" (?) men, and an extremely prodigious FBer! He was a genuine Bon Vivant......

I remember a couple of years ago, when he shamefully admitted, "I never thought it would come to this, but I need a job!" I felt so sorry he was in that dire shape, and hoped he had some well heeled friends, to help him out... He reminded me of the fiddling grasshopper, and I was wishing for friendly ants, who'd save him from Winter....

The longer we live, the more dear hearts we have to see die.... RIP...

Don

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic