The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-04-2017, 01:14 PM

Default CITES and Tree Mahogany

I'm about ready to undertake the arduous task of making my remaining stock of Tree Mahogany exportable. I have chain of custody from 1983 forward on all I currently have. All I have is in Guitar Sets, any advice to make it less than a full time job for 3 months to do this? I have more than "several" sets.

While I believe that these guitar shaped pieces are already "worked" wood and a product, many times removed from log and lumber with billeting and re-saw and all have a light coat of shellac on them, I am still at the mercy of any particular agent at anytime. Sadly with paperwork I'm not sure that situation would change.

I'm getting lots of International interest so I think the expense might be justified.

Thoughts?
Old 08-09-2017, 12:20 PM

it shouldn't be too painful, but proper chain of custody and such is important.
you need to apply for a permit for each set you sell internationally or you can create a master file which will umbrella all of your sets.
here is the link for the application
https://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-32.pdf
Old 08-09-2017, 03:26 PM

The people to ask about what you need to do in order to get your export permits are at the US Fish and Wildlife Service. From what I hear, and the agents I have met at the NAMM Show, they are quite willing to explain their rules, and have been pretty easy about documentation. Have you asked them what you will need?
Old 08-09-2017, 11:03 PM

Thanks, I'm going to make the effort. U.S. Fish and Wildlife is the place to get it done.

My patience is just not what it used to be... LOL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop