The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Great looking work space!! When did you have time to work on this while working on new guitars? Or better yet, how did you even make time to work on this?
Maple Beneteau for sale
Old 05-25-2022, 12:00 PM

Mark,

What a beautiful space! I love the amount of thought you put into getting it right, taking your time...methinks that comes from the same place your commitment to hand tools and detail does. It's a wonderful looking place to go to work every day!
Old 05-25-2022, 12:58 PM

I have concluded it is downstairs from the new house based on the set of stairs in the framing picture, we will find out soon I am sure.
Old 05-25-2022, 01:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Wow, that was quite a lot of work, I did not realize you were starting from scratch with the new place. Is this a separate building from the house? Do you have your dusty room in the room next to you?
Our new house has a full walk-out basement:

This shop space is about half of the basement and has two windows and a sliding glass door. I'll set up a gravel space and chairs under that deck as a little hang out nook for important work like polishing saddles etc. It looks out on my woods which are Birch, White Pine, Ash, Apple, Hard Maple and White Spruce.

The other half of the basement has storage for guitar cases, big wood and the big power tools. Like the New Hampshire shop, the hand tool room gets all the attention. The other room is the dusty dungeon to discourage me from going in there.
I am setting up a stone working work space there too. That will have a wet bench and the tools for cutting and shaping stone.

All in all I have about 25% more floor space than I did in NH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Work, work, WORK!!!

Very cool new shop. Congratulations. May many many fine instruments come forth….

The new dread is very appealing to me.

Have FUN

Paul
Thanks Paul, I'm planning to have sound clips for that dreadnought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Mojo View Post
Way to go, Mark! Your new work shop is looking great. I don't see any air vents - how will you heat and cool this space? Since I'm in Texas I had to ask
Because this is a basement shop with half of it below ground surface the temperature is somewhat mitigated. We have oil heat with water radiators. All the piping for that runs across the ceiling of the other room which is one reason I won't be suspending a ceiling in that area.
So when it was -18 degrees this winter the shop was 63 degrees. When we had the hot spell of 89 degrees last week the shop was 63 degrees.
Luckily I like working in 63 degrees

The shop is very dry so controlling humidity is easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny B View Post
Great looking work space!! When did you have time to work on this while working on new guitars? Or better yet, how did you even make time to work on this?
I made a big push before we moved and spent about six weeks on the first steps along with setting up the rest of the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Mark,

What a beautiful space! I love the amount of thought you put into getting it right, taking your time...methinks that comes from the same place your commitment to hand tools and detail does. It's a wonderful looking place to go to work every day!
Thanks Treenewt! A room without big power tools is easy to make comfortable. That's just another benefit of hand tools. I last a lot longer in a studio I am comfortable in.

Thanks for all the comments!
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 05-25-2022, 03:34 PM

That looks like a lovely place to live and work.
Old 05-26-2022, 03:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
That looks like a lovely place to live and work.
Thanks Carey, we're very happy here

m

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 05-26-2022, 04:06 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Beautiful house, and the shop looks awesome. Only thing we haven't seen is the recording studio. All in good time.
Old 05-27-2022, 03:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Beautiful house, and the shop looks awesome. Only thing we haven't seen is the recording studio. All in good time.
Thanks cigarfan, Haven’t set up for recording yet. I have an office space upstairs in the house and I’m also considering setting up where I do the photo sets.
The ceiling tiles I put in the shop are sound dampening both for through the tiles and to dampen sound in the room. I noticed right off that the stereo sounds a lot better in the shop now.

m

Old 05-27-2022, 12:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Tuner Shipment

I just got a couple tuner sets I ordered for the Green Mountain spec series I doing. Here is the set for the Piña parlor which will have a slot head:

The buttons are bone. I love the subtle gold chamfer accent, it demands EVO gold frets. The tuners are sitting on the Plumbwood back and side set that will be part of this upcoming spec.

Let me say something else about why I like Scheller tuners. When they shipped the order to me they posted pictures of the tuner sets on their Facebook page and said they were shipping these to Mark Hatcher. I shared that on my page and they "liked" it.
I had been dealing with much larger tuner makers for over 20 years and I'll wager there is no one on their payroll who even knows who I am. Just say'n.
I like being treated the way I like to treat my customers.

m

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 05-27-2022 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Love the new area and house, Mark. Looks like a spectacular setting for you to work your magic.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-28-2022, 03:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Love the new area and house, Mark. Looks like a spectacular setting for you to work your magic.
Thanks mikealpine. Let me know the next time you’re coming out this way and stop by!

m

Old 05-28-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
I just got a couple tuner sets I ordered for the Green Mountain spec series I doing. Here is the set for the Piña parlor which will have a slot head:

The buttons are bone. I love the subtle gold chamfer accent, it demands EVO gold frets. The tuners are sitting on the Plumbwood back and side set that will be part of this upcoming spec.

Let me say something else about why I like Scheller tuners. When they shipped the order to me they posted pictures of the tuner sets on their Facebook page and said they were shipping these to Mark Hatcher. I shared that on my page and they "liked" it.
I had been dealing with much larger tuner makers for over 20 years and I'll wager there is no one on their payroll who even knows who I am. Just say'n.
I like being treated the way I like to treat my customers.

m
First off, those tuners are beautiful! EVO frets for sure!

Second, thanks for sharing about Scheller…that is the kind of company you want to do business with. Very cool!
Old 05-28-2022, 02:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
First off, those tuners are beautiful! EVO frets for sure!

Second, thanks for sharing about Scheller…that is the kind of company you want to do business with. Very cool!
Thanks Treenewt, Scheller as been great to deal with.

Here is the second set I just got in:

I shot this picture nice and close to show off how intricate and clean that engraving is. This design screams out 00 Woodsman to me.
It is sitting on a tunnel 13 soundboard I've selected for the upcoming spec I am planning.

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 05-28-2022 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-28-2022, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks mikealpine. Let me know the next time you’re coming out this way and stop by!

m
Mark, I’ll be headed to Plattsburgh, likely late summer, and if I can detour on the way back, that would be terrific! As soon as I know, I’ll get in touch. Thanks!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-28-2022, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Treenewt, Scheller as been great to deal with.

Here is the second set I just got in:

I shot this picture nice and close to show off how intricate and clean that engraving is. This design screams out 00 Woodsman to me.
It is sitting on a tunnel 13 soundboard I've selected for the upcoming spec I am planning.

Beautiful!!! Love those tuners as well as the ones going on the Pinà …

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop