The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-18-2022, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
To take the this in a slightly different direction - I've observed a long-time trend of many restaurant servers/wait-staff addressing customers as "guys" regardless of age or gender.

"Hi my name is XYZ and I'll be taking care of you. Can I get you guys some drinks?"

My 90+ year old mother, my 70 year old sister, my 60+ year old wife and yours truly: "Guys?"
"We 'guys' could use some utensils please."

"No problem."
Old 01-19-2022, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Definitely OK and I agree with all the above , since I don't know what "too British is ?(other than perhaps liking warm beer) too British for me, I did however grow to like malt vinegar on Fish & Chips with an ice cold Guinness, guess I am multi ethnic
What I meant by being 'too British' was a tongue-in-cheek reference to a somewhat negative stereotype that many Europeans have of the British, and which in some part (not saying how much!) may be true. Namely, that we are a bit stuffy and a bit distant and formal with people we don't know. Maybe even that we are a little uptight about hierarchies - that we expect a level of deference from people who are 'serving' us. Also, don't forget the classic title 'No Sex please, we're British!'

I've lived in Italy and Spain, and there was a perception that the British couldn't let their hair down, couldn't relax and enjoy the moment, that we were a bit boring and 'stiff.' It's that kind of thing I was referring to in saying 'a bit too British.'
Old 01-19-2022, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
To take the this in a slightly different direction - I've observed a long-time trend of many restaurant servers/wait-staff addressing customers as "guys" regardless of age or gender.

"Hi my name is XYZ and I'll be taking care of you. Can I get you guys some drinks?"

My 90+ year old mother, my 70 year old sister, my 60+ year old wife and yours truly: "Guys?"
This is very common in Ireland and like you, I find it extremely annoying. Another thing which annoys me is "no worries " which seems to be the standard response in almost any situation where a request is made.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
This is very common in Ireland and like you, I find it extremely annoying. Another thing which annoys me is "no worries " which seems to be the standard response in almost any situation where a request is made.
At least they don't say, 'No wukkas!' (That's what the Austrians say!)
Old 01-19-2022, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
What I meant by being 'too British' was a tongue-in-cheek reference to a somewhat negative stereotype that many Europeans have of the British, and which in some part (not saying how much!) may be true. Namely, that we are a bit stuffy and a bit distant and formal with people we don't know. Maybe even that we are a little uptight about hierarchies - that we expect a level of deference from people who are 'serving' us. Also, don't forget the classic title 'No Sex please, we're British!'

I've lived in Italy and Spain, and there was a perception that the British couldn't let their hair down, couldn't relax and enjoy the moment, that we were a bit boring and 'stiff.' It's that kind of thing I was referring to in saying 'a bit too British.'
No hey I got it as tongue in cheek . I was just attempting levity

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-19-2022, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
It might also have something to do with a condescending tone, but "No problem" in a restaurant sounds a lot to me like, "Whatever, I suppose I can get that on my way back from bathroom."

Last edited by tinnitus; 01-19-2022 at 07:41 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic