The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-27-2022, 04:14 AM

Default AER Compact 60

Hi

Having just bought an AER Compact 60 and having used a Schertler Jam100 for a few years I have the following question.

Does anyone else notice that on the Mk4, if an electric guitar or hot humbucker is plugged into the instrument channel, really pronounced compression occurs (before the clipping LED comes on) which really kills the high frequency sparkle and dynamics from, say, a 335.

It might be ok for an acoustic and it helps protect the little 8" speaker but the electric muffled sound really detracts from the amp if you want to use it on occasion as a grab n go electric amp solution.

It isn't as pronounced on the mic channel but that forces you to use the instrument channel for vox without the 48V etc.

Jazz people probably don't mind that muted mellow sound with smooth even bass notes but it comes at the expense of the twang.....
Any comments or suggestions appreciated
Old 05-27-2022, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Slightly different. I have a Mesa Rosette 2x8. When I play my es-175 through it I turn off the tweeter, use the neck pickup only and roll off the tone and volume on the guitar. This gives the respectable woody old fashion jazz tone I’m after.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Different amplifiers for different purposes. If I had a 335, I would want to use a Fender Deluxe Reverb or similar, while the AER Compact 60 would be my choice for acoustic guitar. That same acoustic guitar wouldn't sound nearly as good through the Deluxe Reverb.

I have an Acoustic Image Coda Series III that is probably the most versatile amp I have used. It works well as a keyboard amp, an acoustic guitar amp, great for my archtop, and the Telecaster sounds OK through it. Jazz acoustic bass players favor an amp like this too. But even so, I think a 335 still would fare better with the Deluxe Reverb or similar.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-27-2022, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Hard to imagine anyone buying an AER Compact to use as an electric guitar amp... they really aren't built for that, in my experience. With my Compact 60, I've never gotten even close to what I would consider a "good" tone from any of my electrics. I have heard a Compact used with a jazz box, but my ES-175 sounded abysmal through my Compact.

I certainly wouldn't plug a "hot" humbucker into that amp and think it would work...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-27-2022, 02:50 PM

Smile

"Hard to imagine anyone buying an AER Compact to use as an electric guitar amp"
Ok let me clarify.
I didn't suggest buying an AER as an electric amp- I have enough tube examples to take care of strictly electric duties and would probably grab a Blues Junior or a Deluxe and a 335 for an all round electric gig (with a nod to Tele players)

What I was asking was has anyone else noticed that when called on for electric duties with higher output instruments the AER tends compress/limit the dynamic range.
Yes it's a great little acoustic/vox combo but the reviews don't mention the one little achilles heel of an otherwise great swiss army knife amplifier.

You can put an eq or boost pedal in front to liven it up but that only accentuates the issue causing the limit function to kick in even harder.

So again, it's not meant to knock the product per se, but to ask have others noticed this unmentioned aspect.

I hope this clarifies the initial post

cheers and thanks for the replies

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification