The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-15-2020, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Thank you so much KevWind for this recommendation, would love to talk more about this.
I would be using compression for Tracking. I know that many feel that compression for tracking is not necessary these days. But I am old school, and back in the days that is how we did it. And....I do play with a huge dynamic -volume range. I combine Rhythmic-drum like strumming with intricate finger style and single note rifts.
On the other hand, As I continue to refine and become a more accomplished player...I worry about compression loosing the explosive transients from my style of playing. So what I need is a compressor that does not loose any of that and simply levels the dynamic range.
What are the characteristics of this compressor & can it be stereo coupled?
I have been considering the Elysia Xpressor Stereo Compressor. It is suppose to be a very transparent compressor. But very interested in your recommendation. I read briefly and there are some interesting features that this unit has.
And What are your thoughts about Craneborne preamps? I have heard a few demoes on Acoustic guitar using Larrivee's Om-40(which I am familiar with as I have two custom D-40 Larrivee's) and was impressed with the natural yet forward recording made with them.
I am such a novice in understanding the new Interfaces and best signal paths. The problem is that a preamp still runs through an Interface first. It is my understanding that is how all interfaces work. The stand alone Mic preamp will still run through the interface preamp first. This seems like there could be a compromise of signal this way.
Is there another route to rectify this? or is this not really an issue?
First a disclaimer I personally have not used or heard the Audio Scape only read reviews and watched /listened to some Youtube videos

While I think the advent of 24 bit recording has given rise to tracking simple solo guitar sans compression. I personally see nothing wrong with it. That said I also (perhaps just bias) think having an analog hardware comp especially on the mix Bus brings a certain added presence to the sound .

As far as not losing the "transients" is exactly why I prefer to have an attack time control which can be set to slower and thus will not compress the initial transients

Me personally between those two (even though a bit more than twice the money -- and if you can budget it) I would opt for the Elysia I think it brings more features. I have not heard it specifically BUT I have heard it's big brother the Alpha Mastering Comp, in a high end Post Production facility and it is simply outstanding ( as it should be for $12 k) . If the Xpressor is even close it will be a lifetime keeper unit.

I have no knowledge of Craneborne so can't comment

As others have said it is my understanding many good interfaces also have line "level inputs" which do bypass the internal "preamps" themselves ( which is the important thing) now I suppose there could be common circuitry routing going to the A/D s but I am thinking the pres would at least be bypassed) BUT (as far as I know) those are, usually on 1/4 inch TS or TRS input jacks, NOT RCA)
I would call Focusrite and clarify both those points

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 06-15-2020, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
First a disclaimer I personally have not used or heard the Audio Scape only read reviews and watched /listened to some Youtube videos

While I think the advent of 24 bit recording has given rise to tracking simple solo guitar sans compression. I personally see nothing wrong with it. That said I also (perhaps just bias) think having an analog hardware comp especially on the mix Bus brings a certain added presence to the sound .

As far as not losing the "transients" is exactly why I prefer to have an attack time control which can be set to slower and thus will not compress the initial transients

Me personally between those two (even though a bit more than twice the money -- and if you can budget it) I would opt for the Elysia I think it brings more features. I have not heard it specifically BUT I have heard it's big brother the Alpha Mastering Comp, in a high end Post Production facility and it is simply outstanding ( as it should be for $12 k) . If the Xpressor is even close it will be a lifetime keeper unit.

I have no knowledge of Craneborne so can't comment

As others have said it is my understanding many good interfaces also have line "level inputs" which do bypass the internal "preamps" themselves ( which is the important thing) now I suppose there could be common circuitry routing going to the A/D s but I am thinking the pres would at least be bypassed) BUT (as far as I know) those are, usually on 1/4 inch TS or TRS input jacks, NOT RCA)
I would call Focusrite and clarify both those points
OOPs, had a brain freeze...yeah I meant 1/4 inch not RCA...That is what happens when you have been out of the game for so long.
The Feature I like about the Elysia is that there is a mix control between the compressed and uncompressed signal. There are not too many units that have this. In theory I might get a nice blend giving me all the qualities I like about an uncompressed signal, with the all the properties I like about a compressed signal.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
OOPs, had a brain freeze...yeah I meant 1/4 inch not RCA...That is what happens when you have been out of the game for so long.
The Feature I like about the Elysia is that there is a mix control between the compressed and uncompressed signal. There are not too many units that have this. In theory I might get a nice blend giving me all the qualities I like about an uncompressed signal, with the all the properties I like about a compressed signal.
Given the stellar reputation Elysia has I cannot see how you could go wrong
Actually the Elysia Alpha plugin, is what I always used prior to getting my hardware comp

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 06-15-2020, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I own a bunch of the Audio-Scape units. I have the G-Comp, a pair of 76As, a pair of Optos, and a V-Comp. What you get for the money from them is absolutely amazing.

My first purchase from them was an Opto. I wanted a pair of LA2As but I didn't find $8k worth of coins in the couch cushions. I hadn't even heard of Audio-Scape when I started researching clones. They didn't have as big a rep when I bought the first Opto but the reports and reviews of the unit I was finding were all glowing. I decided to take a gamble on one. It only took me about a week or two of playing with it before I went ahead and ordered another. I had been using the UAD LA2A plugin but the difference, especially on the top end, was undeniable. The Opto brings a much smoother and more musical result.

The G-Buss is my two buss compressor. When I mix, I mix through that box.
I've heard shootouts with the real units and the 76A and Opto are as close as anything I've heard.
The V-Comp is my favorite of the bunch because I have nothing else that brings that kind of character to a male vocal. Audio-Scape describes it as "Johnny Cash in a box" and I get what they're trying to say. It's not going to make anyone sound like Cash, but it does impart a character that is Cash-like in its familiarity.

Search out the comments and reviews in the larger forums. Audio-Scape is definitely worth checking out.

FYI - Buying one of their units isn't always easy. They only take orders when the units are built and ready to ship. And when they do put inventory up on their website (usually once a week), almost always it literally sells out in about a minute. I've had some luck in emailing Chris Yetter, the owner of the company, and asking him to send me an invoice for the unit I want. He won't do it on brand new releases but he seems willing to do that for the everything else.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 06-15-2020, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

I tried to use a hardware compressor for a while. I had the Cranesong STC-8, as well as the Cranesong HEDD, which had saturation capabilities. I sometimes got a nice sound, but for solo guitar, I found that first of all I didn't really want much compression, kept backing off tillI was basically at zero :-), and to the extent I had it on, I couldn't really dial it in as a one-man recording engineer/player, so it was way better to do it in post where I could listen carefully, tweak, listen, repeat, rather than being locked into what was recorded.

It might have been nice to keep it as an outboard compressor for mixing, but for my purposes, the UAD stuff all comes close enough to hardware that if I want compression, I have all kinds of options, and I can tweak it, automate it, do parallel compression easily, etc, etc. The idea of a compressor on the front end still appeals to me "emotionally", but I spent enough time trying it to know it's not what I need. If I was engineering for other people, bands and so on, it'd be different, probably.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I own a bunch of the Audio-Scape units. I have the G-Comp, a pair of 76As, a pair of Optos, and a V-Comp. What you get for the money from them is absolutely amazing.

My first purchase from them was an Opto. I wanted a pair of LA2As but I didn't find $8k worth of coins in the couch cushions. I hadn't even heard of Audio-Scape when I started researching clones. They didn't have as big a rep when I bought the first Opto but the reports and reviews of the unit I was finding were all glowing. I decided to take a gamble on one. It only took me about a week or two of playing with it before I went ahead and ordered another. I had been using the UAD LA2A plugin but the difference, especially on the top end, was undeniable. The Opto brings a much smoother and more musical result.

The G-Buss is my two buss compressor. When I mix, I mix through that box.
I've heard shootouts with the real units and the 76A and Opto are as close as anything I've heard.
The V-Comp is my favorite of the bunch because I have nothing else that brings that kind of character to a male vocal. Audio-Scape describes it as "Johnny Cash in a box" and I get what they're trying to say. It's not going to make anyone sound like Cash, but it does impart a character that is Cash-like in its familiarity.

Search out the comments and reviews in the larger forums. Audio-Scape is definitely worth checking out.

FYI - Buying one of their units isn't always easy. They only take orders when the units are built and ready to ship. And when they do put inventory up on their website (usually once a week), almost always it literally sells out in about a minute. I've had some luck in emailing Chris Yetter, the owner of the company, and asking him to send me an invoice for the unit I want. He won't do it on brand new releases but he seems willing to do that for the everything else.
Ah yes now I remember you mentioning this is a while back. Thanks

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 06-30-2020, 08:01 AM

Schoeps Omni capsules are superb!
They sound really beautiful
Thank you for the recommendation aloha Chris
Old 06-30-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialpivot View Post
Schoeps Omni capsules are superb!
They sound really beautiful
Thank you for the recommendation aloha Chris
A big Congratulations! Wonderful news!
Aloha Chris has been super generous with his time, information and support.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD