The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-10-2020, 05:57 PM

Default ToneDexter and a KM184

I just received my Tonedexter and am ready to "train" it. The only SD mic I have is a KM184. I know the correct answer is to experiment with mic placement and see what sounds best but I thought I'd try to learn from the experience of other TD users to see if anyone has used a KM184 on a dreadnaught (mine is a HD28V w/K&K) and to see what your best results have been?
Old 10-10-2020, 06:27 PM

Perfect match IMO.
When I got my TD, the first mics I tried where the mics I prefer for recording: Schoeps MK4 and Neumann KM84. To my ears the resulting wavemaps lacked some treble. So I grabbed my KM184 , and the new wavemap is the one I still use.
Guitar is a D28 by Jim Merrill (he calls it C28), pickup is Ultra Tonic (pretty similar to a K&K but with clever improvements), mic poining down to neck/body joint (like recommended in the TD manual).

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 10-10-2020, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

While the Neumann KM184 does not have a totally flat response (it has a HF lift), it does have quality accuracy, detail and linearity. It should do just fine with the Tonedexter.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

That’s what I have. I like it about 6” away from where the neck meets the body and pointing towards the neck a little. You need to make a bunch and see which is best for you.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerofone View Post
I just received my Tonedexter and am ready to "train" it. The only SD mic I have is a KM184. I know the correct answer is to experiment with mic placement and see what sounds best but I thought I'd try to learn from the experience of other TD users to see if anyone has used a KM184 on a dreadnaught (mine is a HD28V w/K&K) and to see what your best results have been?
Hi m-rofone

For me great headphones, and my acoustic amp are in the room when I sample new wave-forms with my ToneDexter.

The space is the 'other' ingredient/parameter to be factored in. I'm guessing your KM184 is going to produce above average samples.

I have three stock mic positions I've landed on in my space which I use to pull multiple samples. So I can pull them quickly (under 5 minutes) and then choose my favorites.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-11-2020, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerofone View Post
Perfect-Use It!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification