The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-05-2019, 08:45 PM

Default Fingerpicking Issues

Im not really quite sure how to phrase this question but i am hoping some seasoned fingerpickers may remember when they first began and have some insight. Been playing flatpick for a long time and also some fingerpicking but nothing really more than simple patterns or easy Travis style.

Been working on some more complex Travis style where i have to do a few partial bars with my index finger. I must admit out of all my fingers the first joint in the index finger of my fretting hand is the only finger where i have a bit of arthritis but I manage it and trudge through it. So the issue is that i have to use a partial bar on the 5th fret of the first 4 strings and then pick out some melody notes and one of the melody note is on the high E string. Most of the time I am not getting a clear note on that high E string. Sometimes I do but not everytime. Its almost like the crease in my finger is causing it but I can't be the only one that this would happen too so im not sure. Is it just something that will take a lot of practice and then one day i wake up and it's clear? Is it possible that my Rainsong needs a good set up? It has never been set up.

Its just frustrating to me. Hoping for some replies. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

I'm a little unclear as to whether this is a fretting issue or a finger style issue. I have minor arthritis in my hands/fingers and don't have any real issues playing a six-string either strummed or played finger style. However, I recently sold a wonderful Emerald X20-12 because my ability to fret cleanly and consistently ends with those extra six strings...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-05-2019, 09:18 PM

The first two things that come to mind are fretting technique and the particular guitar you are using. The more intricate or precise you get in playing style requires a much tighter left-hand technique (reverse if you are left-handed). If that is the issue (no way to tell without being there or good video), then the answer is proper practice, over and over.

If your technique is solid, your guitar may need an evaluation. Is it properly set up? A well set up guitar will make playing everything easier and clearer. You can get away with a lot strumming that you can't with finger-style guitar. Either way, a visit to the frequently visited and trusted local guitar picker's paradise should get you some expert evaluation and honest feedback.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I'm a little unclear as to whether this is a fretting issue or a finger style issue. I have minor arthritis in my hands/fingers and don't have any real issues playing a six-string either strummed or played finger style. However, I recently sold a wonderful Emerald X20-12 because my ability to fret cleanly and consistently ends with those extra six strings...
I think it may be a little bit of both. In the course of the song when I move down into that position at the 2nd fret i am fretting x02242 with a partial bar laid across the first 4 strings. Most of the time the high E string is not clear. But just messing around and fretting it and not in the context of the song it sounds pretty clear most of the time. Maybe in the "pressure" of the song my index finger partial bar is just not strong enough yet?
Old 12-05-2019, 09:26 PM

A set up should always help and especially an on-hand instructor.

On line I’ve seen some amazing fingerpicking arrangements that I greatly admire especially in the piedmont blues tradition. However, I’ve accepted I will never, no matter with how much practice, be able to play most of those tunes - I have large hands from physical labouring and not the spider web fingers I see on virtuosos, so I accept my limitations. The motto “know thyself” might stave off some frustration.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post

Is it just something that will take a lot of practice and then one day i wake up and it's clear?
Most likely. Just keep trying it and eventually your fingers will figure it out for you.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Cobalt,
Is your thumb more or less parallel with your index? Can you fret that partial barre cleanly just as x02222? Work on that before adding the 4.

Barres are as much about technique as strength (I hope that makes sense). It’s a bit like learning to drive a clutch—you find the right pressure with practice.

I agree with folks who suggest a set up. But I also confess that barres ain’t easy—your hands weren’t designed to form them, so they have to be trained.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 12-05-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Cobalt,
Is your thumb more or less parallel with your index? Can you fret that partial barre cleanly just as x02222? Work on that before adding the 4.

Barres are as much about technique as strength (I hope that makes sense). It’s a bit like learning to drive a clutch—you find the right pressure with practice.

I agree with folks who suggest a set up. But I also confess that barres ain’t easy—your hands weren’t designed to form them, so they have to be trained.
Actually the thumb on the back of the neck is perpendicular the my index finger. I wrote the chord out wrong before as it's X02342. I can form it and make it sound clear when just practicing it so maybe I just need more of that. I said second fret but i am playing in open D tuning with a capo on three so my barring finger is actually on the 5th fret. I will just keep working on it, appreciate the advice.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
Most likely. Just keep trying it and eventually your fingers will figure it out for you.
Good advice.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:58 PM

Thanks everyone. It's appreciated.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

See if you can roll your index a bit so its on its side a little with a bit of a curve. Also, is it critical that the 5th string remains open? Otherwise do a whole barre.

Also, what strings are you using? You might want to go down a gauge, go to round core or maybe silk and steel.

I'll also suggest a setup might need to be done.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-06-2019, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
A set up should always help and especially an on-hand instructor.

On line I’ve seen some amazing fingerpicking arrangements that I greatly admire especially in the piedmont blues tradition. However, I’ve accepted I will never, no matter with how much practice, be able to play most of those tunes - I have large hands from physical labouring and not the spider web fingers I see on virtuosos, so I accept my limitations. The motto “know thyself” might stave off some frustration.

I have short stubby fingers and my movement has always not been that great. In the 25+ years of playing, I've not been able to really make my hands work they way I want so I just adapt and figure out how to work around the issues. I know better than to tackle a perfect arragement of anything, I just don't have it in me. I do my best though.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:49 AM

I believe a set up is always an excellent idea. My last four guitars all played very well - and all went in for a set up.

If we're talking about a left hand bar where the string lands in the crease of your finger you probably want to move the finger up a little higher so you miss that crease. You could also try rolling that index finger ever so slightly to the outside of the finger (so the string pressure is a little more on the left side of the finger).
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 12-06-2019, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

I'm interested in this because I also have some arthritis in the same joint. Careful attention to my technique has helped immensely. Beyond the other suggestions, check how your holding the guitar. Is the guitar positioned tilted into or away from you as you play? Also the guitar neck angle compared to your body.

Experiment with different positions. I'd suggest beginning with positioning the guitar in classical guitar playing style then adjust from there. I learned to pay attention to the position of my shoulder, arm, and hand.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:03 AM

Usually with any bar chord, if try roll your index finger a bit to the outside so that there's more bone than flesh lying against the neck it might help, can be awkward if your trying chord melody lines.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write