The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 09:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Yep, we'll be there. I thought the podcast gives a good personal connection for those who are interested in your work. For those that are interested, Michael Bashkin has started the podcast "Luthier on Luthier" that's sponsored by the Fretboard Journal. Great insight into the minds of custom builders, and Burton was the second interview. You can find it at the link above or on iTunes.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 07-27-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
If you look closely, you can see a few medullary rays that are misaligned. Epic fail.
I noticed that also.

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 07-27-2017, 07:56 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt View Post
Thanks Ryan. I was so nervous about that podcast before it came out. Michael did such a great job getting it together. If anyone is curious it is here:

http://luthieronluthier.libsyn.com/2-burton-legeyt

I'll see you guys at Woodstock, yes?

And since I'm posting, I'll include a shot here of the guitar sharing the bench with Matthew's guitar- this one is ready for bindings and purflings
I was hoping you'd post the link, because I was going to listen to it tonight!

Thanks. Remember, that compound curve is perhaps something never to be duplicated again, and I have huge respect for what you've done so far. I'm so excited to see how the headstock and tuners turn out!

Thanks again
Matthew
Old 08-26-2017, 03:22 PM

Any updates?

1936 D-18
1938 00-18h
B&H D-18 ordered

Old 08-26-2017, 05:25 PM

Was planning on posting a few pictures either tonight or tomorrow. I've been deep in tuner-land making tooling to be able to make these (and future) modified machines. Its been.... slow, as you can probably tell!

I also have the neck (really) roughed out. I'll get something together tonight.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:24 PM

I was just looking at your headplates from Diamonddave's guitar today, getting excited!
Old 08-27-2017, 03:29 PM

Here are a few shots of where we are! I wish I could put them in line with the text but if that is possible uploading them through the AGF I haven't figured it out yet.

The neck is more or less fit to the flat plane of the body and the extension lays flat and is tight. As with everything on this guitar even the neck bolts needed to be custom. The normal 1/4-20 bolts were too big for the skinny tenon. I made some smaller ones that work very well. Its going to be fun to carve the heel. Still trying to figure out the order I want to do it in.

I've laid the fingerboard over the neck to see what it will look like. On this guitar any mismatch on the geometry of the sides would be real obvious as they taper in to meet the fingerboard. I was a little worried but its fine. Looks so much like the guitar it is based on. I install the frets with hide glue and haven't cleaned the excess yet- That is the squeezeout if anyone was wondering.

The tuning machines are coming along nicely. It took me a while to get the procedure and correct tooling to be able to make these repeatably for the future. I'm pretty close now. Not sure if I'll send them out for anodizing as they won't be visible but I am very curious to see them done that way. The CAD drawing is of the layout and spacing for the headstock. Making all the pockets is tricky work, there isn't really any room for error. I'll make the titanium string posts and install them to get the hole spacing aligned just right. I still have to tackle the imitation tuning pegs as well.

I showed a few shots of the shaping jig on the lathe. It allows me to turn the main barrel and keep it concentric to the string post bores. It could be quick work on a newer machine but I have to take it slow and work in sections. Everything came out well though.

I also have the Carbon fiber rods prepared for the neck. Those will get glued in tonight. That process works so well. No complaints from me

It seems so close but I can picture the machines still eating up some time. I hope not! But we'll see-

Thanks everyone who is following along. I am getting very excited to have this guitar on my table at Woodstock. If you are planning on being there please stop by and see it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P01 neck toenon and bolts.jpg (46.6 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg P01 fingerboard laying on.jpg (40.6 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg P01 cad headstock and others.jpg (35.6 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg P01 jig on lathe 1.jpg (50.5 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg P01 jig on lathe magnified.jpg (48.1 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg P01 neck with channel.jpg (43.8 KB, 267 views)
Old 08-27-2017, 03:56 PM

A true tour de force! Literally makes me gasp!
Old 08-27-2017, 10:18 PM

I know I'm biased but I really think this is one of the coolest build threads I've seen on AGF in the four years I've been here. I'm so glad I got to work with such a genius as Burton and that he talked me into the renaissance concave parlour (I was initially leaning towards a small ditson.)

Wait until you see the bridge and tuners/headstock. You might have an aneurysm they're so cool! I sadly won't be able to make it to woodstock as I'll be in Chicago for the ER oral boards as an examiner (my chance to sadistically take it out on others! )

I can practically no one will ever build another guitar like this one, and since Burton took measurements from the original, there will really only be two of these in existence. So cool!
Old 08-28-2017, 11:00 AM
Music soothes the soul!

I'll definitely be stopping by at Woodstock. This build has been fascinating to watch. Can't wait to hear how it sounds.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

There needs to be a higher cool factor scale than 10 for this one... WOW...!
Old 08-28-2017, 12:30 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
I know I'm biased but I really think this is one of the coolest build threads I've seen on AGF in the four years I've been here.
I would have to agree with this statement, pretty incredible stuff.

Ten thumbs up

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 08-28-2017, 07:36 PM

Thanks guys! Dennis, make sure to give me your unfettered thoughts.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:57 PM

Having seen and played R. Corwin's Martin Renaissance parlor on which this build is partially based, its great to see it approaching the finish line in such fine form and fashion. A treat for the senses and the spirit ....
Old 08-28-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
I know I'm biased but I really think this is one of the coolest build threads I've seen on AGF in the four years I've been here. I'm so glad I got to work with such a genius as Burton and that he talked me into the renaissance concave parlour (I was initially leaning towards a small ditson.)

Wait until you see the bridge and tuners/headstock. You might have an aneurysm they're so cool! I sadly won't be able to make it to woodstock as I'll be in Chicago for the ER oral boards as an examiner (my chance to sadistically take it out on others! )

I can practically no one will ever build another guitar like this one, and since Burton took measurements from the original, there will really only be two of these in existence. So cool!
That's not so hard, all my oral examiners kept repeating over and over again was "anything else" after I thought I had covered all possible bases....oh wait they also said "I hesitate to move forward as once I do we can't go back" hahahaha....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop