The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-05-2019, 06:04 AM

Default TS unbalanced cable>TRS balanced jack?

Will this connection work decently well? I'm thinking it probably will, but would like the observations of folks who've actually tried it.

The signal from the TS unbalanced cable would be buffered by an active system or outboard preamp. I wouldn't try connecting a passive pickup directly to a mic input. The TRS mic input does have phantom power available, but it can be turned off.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:11 AM

If you mean a balanced tele-jack input on a mixer then yes it should work fine.

It is absolutely essential to make sure there is no phantom power going through the TRS, though I was under the impression that phantom power only goes through balanced XLR-contacts. Double check to make sure because it could be an expensive and painful mistake...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 12-05-2019, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

A DI is the way this is typically done, or am I missing something?
Old 12-05-2019, 07:28 AM

What are you plugging in (guitar, active/passive, etc)? I've never had an issue (phantom power always off). On an OUTPUT circuit, though - TRS balanced to a powered speaker, using a TS cable resulted in a lot of hum.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-05-2019, 08:08 AM

Thanks for all the responses.

I've been looking at this Pigtronix "Real Deal" blender which is on sale at Sweetwater.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...r-preamp-pedal

The mic input is balanced TRS to accept a mic signal, but I'd be using it with an active internal mic like the Baggs Lyric, or an SBT like the Schatten HFN (active system or passive SBT thru an outboard preamp). The Lyric system or SBT system would have an unbalanced output thru a TS cable.

I hope that explains my interest in running an unbalanced TS cable to a balanced TRS input. I could indeed run to a DI and then take the DI to the Real Deal's mic input with a special cable (XLR plug on one end, TRS 1/4" plug on the other), but I hope that wouldn't be necessary.

Last edited by guitaniac; 12-05-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Thanks for all the responses.

I've been looking at this Pigtronix "Real Deal" blender which is on sale at Sweetwater.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...r-preamp-pedal

The mic input is balanced TRS to accept a mic signal, but I'd be using it with an active internal mic like the Baggs Lyric, or an SBT like the Schatten HFN (active system or passive SBT thru an outboard preamp). The Lyric system or SBT system would have an unbalanced output thru a TS cable.

I hope that explains my interest in running an unbalanced TS cable to a balanced TRS input. I could indeed run to a DI and then take the DI to the Real Deal's mic input with a special cable (XLR plug on one end, TRS 1/4" plug on the other), but I hope that wouldn't be necessary.
Anything "active" or through a preamp is not a mic-level signal. If you want to plug into a mic input, you'll likely be mismatching impedance and voltage expectations of that device. What's going into the [Real Deal] TS *jack* that you can't use that? Confused...

Last edited by keith.rogers; 12-05-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Anything "active" or through a preamp is not a mic-level signal. If you want to plug into a mic input, you'll likely be mismatching impedance and voltage expectations of that device. What's going into the TS plug that you can't use that? Confused...
Yes. I expect that I might need to keep the active system level low to avoid overdriving the mic input. That's easily do-able. Its an impedance mismatch that I'm worried about.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification