The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-07-2021, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Default What does 12K get you?

I have a small body Weber Bitterrroot archtop, Sitka with Mahogany back & sides. Basically a no frills model which suits me just fine and it's a wonderfull guitar, way beyond my abilities really, but I can't help wondering what a red spruce over maple would sound like. Somehow to me, right or wrong, that seems like a quintessential combination. So I asked Bruce W what such a build from him would cost today. Well, maybe he doesn't build such a "basic" model now. His reply "$12,000 but the options are endless...The only thing that would take the price over $12,000 would be some elaborate inlay, pearl purfling, or varnish finish." So, just for comparison sake, what would 12K get you from other builders today?
Old 12-08-2021, 08:33 AM

One of these:

https://www.mcampellone.com/the-cameo/

or these:

https://www.triggsguitars.com/archto...htbox=image3zq

or these:

http://benedettoguitars.com/guitars/...cana%e2%84%a2/

- and, in the first two cases, with money to spare...
Old 12-08-2021, 08:39 AM

Default What does 12K get you?

A Bourgeois Vintage D and a Collings D1!! If you get them used, money left over to spend on other stuff!! [emoji16]

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 12-08-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
A Bourgeois Vintage D and a Collings D1!!...
I think the OP is looking for an all-carved archtop...
Old 12-09-2021, 07:40 AM

Default 12K

Andrew Mowrey great builder,whatever you want.Triggs,Cunningham, Duff...
Old 12-09-2021, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Honestly, there are a number of choices but it really depends on your goals and use for the instrument. Will it be primarily used acoustically or plugged in? If plugged in, at lower volumes in a solo, duo or trio format or at higher volumes within a band. If it was my $12k I would reach out to John Buscarino and have a conversation about his Artisan Model.

https://buscarino.com/artisan

He can manipulate it to suit your goals.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Great list of names to check out. I should have thought of Mowrey or other mandolin builders. I seem to be partial to them, currently owning two Webers and a Brentrup, though nothing near 12k. I'm getting into some pretty deep waters here. Over my head really but fun to look at.
Old 12-09-2021, 02:26 PM

$12K gets you 6 or 7 really nice Eastman guitars 🤪😊👍
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 12-09-2021, 02:37 PM

Base model James Olsen SJ.

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 12-09-2021, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Just talking about carved archtops from some of the elite builders to get some comparisons. That's why I posted in the archtop forum but thanks, know that amount of change will buy lots of guitars.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:41 AM
Charter Member

I just bought a used Trenier for about 7k. It is gorgeous and sounds like the heavens. Follow Trenier, Andersen, etc on reverb and eBay. When you see one, just call the seller, if it is a shop. I would first figure out what you want exactly, then be ready. In my opinion, if I’m spending 7k on a guitar, it is going to be acoustic only. This way, you can play PB strings and get the full acoustic sound. If you want to have a pickup, then that is a different game, and the best luthiers actually carve their archtops for electrics differently. All that being said, I think 6-8k will get you to just about as good as possible if you play your cards right. Go to Andersen’s website—he will build new for 6k or so, which is beyond reasonable. Many luthiers will have customers trade guitars in for new custom builds, and then sell their own used guitars at very good prices. Find the luthiers you like and keep an eye out. There are past threads on these luthiers, which are great and helped me out a ton. Good luck.

Regularly check https://www.archtop.com/PageMill_Resources/ac_inst.html
http://guitarsnjazz.com/gbase-invent...RoCSMwQAvD_BwE
Old 12-17-2021, 05:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by THart View Post
I have a small body Weber Bitterrroot archtop, Sitka with Mahogany back & sides. Basically a no frills model which suits me just fine and it's a wonderfull guitar, way beyond my abilities really, but I can't help wondering what a red spruce over maple would sound like. Somehow to me, right or wrong, that seems like a quintessential combination. So I asked Bruce W what such a build from him would cost today. Well, maybe he doesn't build such a "basic" model now. His reply "$12,000 but the options are endless...The only thing that would take the price over $12,000 would be some elaborate inlay, pearl purfling, or varnish finish." So, just for comparison sake, what would 12K get you from other builders today?
There's probably at least 100 used guitars from small 1 man/woman luthier shops available under 12K.

The bigger problem is the search for them!! Put 'archtop' in the description and it turns into a 335 list that goes on and on. Put in 'carved top' and any number of PRS, et al come up.

I'm certain you can find Bourgeois, Benedetto, Moll, Triggs, and one of the best builders is Rancourt in Canada. Here's what less than 9K US will get you. Listen to Bridge Over Troubled Waters for the proof.

https://www.rancourtguitars.com/autu...4lV_a7P9s7yk3o

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 12-19-2021, 05:54 PM

Like others, my first thought is omg all the guitars I could buy.
But seriously, if I had that money to spend on an archtop, I'd have a look at a Gilchrist, seriously beautiful guitars - I don't know the prices but I know they are up there.
e.g.

Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 12-20-2021, 07:25 AM

The Gilchrist is as good as it gets, I have never played a better guitar—of any kind.
Old 12-20-2021, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Great suggestions everybody. I think a Gilchrist is going to run north of 12k but I know them by reputation though I've never played one. I had the good fortune to attend a Watkins Family Hour show over the weekend. Their guest was Courtney Hartman and she played a Lawrence Smart archtop. Here's a video of her with it. Just about the perfect sound for an archtop to my ear. I haven't found any info on price but based on what I've seen of Smart mandolins I'd guess they must be up in that range. Well, I can't seem to embed the video so here's the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtldB73hiYM

Last edited by THart; 12-20-2021 at 06:35 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops