The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-28-2017, 08:28 AM

Detect away?

Well, it's a bit difficult with a small Internet photo, but I think I see a very nicely filled strap button hole......................
.....................right about here:

Frank Ford
Old 04-28-2017, 08:36 AM

Very close, maybe 5mm further to the headstock side of your circle.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 04-28-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Detective away, did this one for a customer about 2 months ago, where is the hole.

Remember this is also you being informed there was a physical hole there to start with.

Steve
Geez... I just checked out your webpage. That shop is amazing!
Old 04-29-2017, 08:41 AM

I'm just an amateur, but the point remains, as others have said, that there are ding and there are dings; mahogany is not straight-grained spruce, finish material are different, and the damage to the wood itself varies from zero to actual crushed wood cells. In my experience, unnoticeable repairs of instruments where this can be achieved are common; minimally noticeable repairs are frequent. Invisible repairs are rare. Like sound clips, photographs demonstrate little because the process of photography itself produces an artifact that is different from the original object, and in the case of guitar finishes, wildly different from the optical experience of viewing the real item. Something as simple as a sunburst finish will look really different depending on how shot, how viewed, etc. I'm sure the repair shown here may well be an invisible on, but I believe that based on what the poster says, not because of a photo.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Detective away, did this one for a customer about 2 months ago, where is the hole.

Remember this is also you being informed there was a physical hole there to start with.

Steve
I don't think Bruce meant in a photo of the repairer's choosing.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:46 PM

If someone asks a question, more than happy to not provide just words but actual photos, on an internet forum, not much more can be done to validate ones statements, but at least I validate my comments, I am always extremely proud of my work, I notice a lot of people always have an opinion but do not show photos of their work supporting their comments, this is loosely based from pages and pages of questions and responses over span of years.

Howard, in regards to a photo of my choosing, well, I chose this one over the others as this one had a physical hole in it, not a crack not a dent but a physical hole, basically the hardest thing to hide and make invisible. That's why it was a photo of my choosing.

If it's possible to make a hole invisible then it's very possible to make almost any repair invisible, the trick is but, it's more to do with ones ability as a refinisher than as a woodworker.

I also for those that don't possess this skill set, have a walk through section of my website showing step by step photos on how I achieve this, the photos I supplied on this response are taken from one of these walk throughs.

Here a 48 tutorials that may get some people interested, these are jobs I personally have done and documented to possibly help others.

http://http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronadair View Post
Geez... I just checked out your webpage. That shop is amazing!
Thank you for the kind words
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 04-29-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fingers View Post
I'm sure the repair shown here may well be an invisible on, but I believe that based on what the poster says, not because of a photo.
Thank you and I agree with what you say.

I also think people do not realise the work involved in making repairs invisible, this one is semi finished, structural repairs done, finish repairs commencing, it gives an idea of the work required to make something invisible, Taylor 910, it was dropped and the whole back and top and butt exploded, at 9000 dollars Australian, its worth repairing and all repairs being invisible.

Finish work is a skill of its own

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 04-29-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Howard, in regards to a photo of my choosing, well, I chose this one over the others as this one had a physical hole in it, not a crack not a dent but a physical hole, basically the hardest thing to hide and make invisible. That's why it was a photo of my choosing.
Steve, I think you are misunderstanding my post, which was not about your work, or even about whether the repair shown in your photo is invisible. It was about what Bruce meant when he said it depends on the detective. He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I took him to be talking about a detective doing an in-hand inspection. If I'm right about what he intended, there is no photo you can post that is responsive to his comment, no matter whether the repair is invisible. I shouldn't have said "of your choosing." That mixed my main point with a different one.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:14 AM

All good, I mis-understood.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
dent, ding, drop fill, repair