The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-08-2020, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD - McPherson Sable

I purchased the Sable from LA Guitar sales about a month ago, it's the honeycomb with gold evo frets. First thing I noticed was that it is heavier than the X20. The tone comparison between the X20 and Sable is very different but comparing the 2 may be the best way to describe it since there's a lot of X20 owners here. I think the sound hole orientation on the X20 contributes a lot to the differences I hear. The first thing I notice when strumming the Sable is the string to string balance, it gets me every time I start to play it, I love the mellow tone of the higher notes, it sounds quieter to me with the same strumming pressure. The back and sides have a textured coating and with the back edges well rounded, it is comfortable even with out the bevels of the X20. The X20 sounds bolder with a touch of the brighter CF tone and more up front (in your face, sound hole) than the Sable. The Sable sounds more intimate and has a sweetness that I find addicting. It sounds more like a wood guitar than the X20 does. To sum it up, I love the Sable, I really like the satin neck and feel, and the quality is evident thru out. Not a thing wrong with the X20, i can easily understand why some may prefer it. Neither sounds like a tin can, that's for sure. I have no intentions of selling either right now, but if one has to go at a later date, it would be the X20. I think it was GuitarLuva that said "It makes me wonder why I have other guitars?" That feeling does creep in at times. Anyone thinking about a CF guitar in that price range, should give it a try !
Old 08-08-2020, 08:42 PM

Nice buy you wild man!!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-08-2020, 09:19 PM

Congrats! I was trying to guess why you may have sold your X7 and later your X20 (or at least I thought you had it up for sale).

I got to play a Sable for about 30 minutes in a local shop and loved it for all the same reasons you describe. I wonder if the bracing is the secret? Not because CF needs it, but because the bracing is what imparts the traditional tone we all love more? Dunno. The Touring also sounds very nice but way too small, even for this guy who likes small guitars. I actually prefer the OF660 to the Touring, which feels a lot like a GS Mini spec wise.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:02 AM

Congrats. If I had it to do over again I would have gotten one of these Sables.

Enjoy in good health
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-09-2020, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Thanks all, yes Steelvibe, I sold the X7, it sounded good, but for some reason always felt a little awkward to me with the bigger body and shorter neck. If I played it 100% of the time it was fine, but switching between other guitars just didn't feel right. Likely my problem, not the X7 !!
Old 08-09-2020, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

I’m belated in my NGD for my Sable; we had some storms that knocked out power, so had other things to deal with. Like you, I notice string balance. However, I think I miss a little of the treble presence I like so much in my RainSong H-OM, and if that is a bit stronger in the X20, I may eventually add one of those, especially now that the new model has a rib bevel. I may also look into brighter strings, and try that first. However, there is a warmth and richness that I like a lot. Fit and finish are awesome. It is comfortable to play. I think I may have my tech field down the nut slots a hair; finding first fret barre chords to require much more effort than the RainSong and other guitars. The action elsewhere is good, but if the minor filing brings it down a touch, that’d be ok too. Plugged in the guitar sounds awesome! I plugged it into a Spark amp, set for acoustics, the EQ primarily flat and with just a touch of reverb. It was beautiful!

Enjoy yours!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 08-09-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Good points Mike, I agree with you, I noticed that I didn't have to be as precise with bar chords on the X20 as I do on the Sable. With the Sable I have to be right up against the fret to have the clearest notes. It did improve a bit when I put the low saddle in. Please let me know how taking the nut slots down a bit works for you. I prefer the mellow high notes of the Sable to those of a RS, but I'm guessing that a RS or X20 may be better for fingerstyle as far as the high strings tone goes. Richness is the word I could not think of !
Old 08-09-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
....I sold the X7, it sounded good, but for some reason always felt a little awkward to me with the bigger body and shorter neck. If I played it 100% of the time it was fine, but switching between other guitars just didn't feel right. Likely my problem, not the X7 !!
This is the first time I've heard the relative proportions of the X7 V3 body and neck being discussed. Interesting..... We only have the smaller V2 model, and they feel just right. I suppose one could look at the proportions of a 12-fret and short scale dreadnought with the same eye for aesthetic balance.

Congrats, BTW! A direct comparison of the Sable and X20 would be really interesting to most of us here. I'm pretty much committed to the X20 path and expect the one currently under construction to be my last guitar purchase. But should I ever decide that another guitar is needed, the Sable would top the list based on the many enthusiastic comments here.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:51 PM

man, i wish i could try the emerald and the sable...
1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!
Old 08-09-2020, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I suppose one could look at the proportions of a 12-fret and short scale dreadnought with the same eye for aesthetic balance.
I have a D-12 and a 000-15sm, both 12 frets that feel fine, I'm not sure why the X7 felt awkward to me, scale length maybe, but I wouldn't put a whole lot of weight on that comment. It seems to be just fine for a lot of others! There is no intention to knock any of the guitars I mention, I've loved my X20 for 3 years and plan on keeping it. I've received threats of bodily harm from friends if I sell it ! Besides, I know of no other guitar that can touch it for the price it would sell for. The room is getting a little crowded though, so something may have to go sometime.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have a D-12 and a 000-15sm, both 12 frets that feel fine, I'm not sure why the X7 felt awkward to me, scale length maybe, but I wouldn't put a whole lot of weight on that comment. It seems to be just fine for a lot of others! There is no intention to knock any of the guitars I mention, I've loved my X20 for 3 years and plan on keeping it. I've received threats of bodily harm from friends if I sell it ! Besides, I know of no other guitar that can touch it for the price it would sell for. The room is getting a little crowded though, so something may have to go sometime.
Knock out a wall?
Old 08-09-2020, 04:50 PM

John, congratulations on the Sable but I of course knew you had it! I agree about the comparison between the Sable and the X20. The Sable has a nice warm tone, more traditional sounding. I find it's got attitude. Very addictive sound for me. The X20, which I also like, is brighter sounding, not that that's a bad thing. The more I look at the newer X20 the more I hate the bridge change. Not trying to be negative i like the rest of the changes. Comparing the old and new X20 side by side with pics I just love the older Emerald bridge better. All personal of course but that might be the factor that let's me keep my current X20 instead of selling it.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I should have gave Luva a shout out for being a big enabler for this purchase. :-) He was a lot of help and answered some questions for me that put me over the edge. Thanks !!

Captain....the wall is down ! I now have a bathroom in my guitar room.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
John, congratulations on the Sable but I of course knew you had it! I agree about the comparison between the Sable and the X20. The Sable has a nice warm tone, more traditional sounding. I find it's got attitude. Very addictive sound for me. The X20, which I also like, is brighter sounding, not that that's a bad thing. The more I look at the newer X20 the more I hate the bridge change. Not trying to be negative i like the rest of the changes. Comparing the old and new X20 side by side with pics I just love the older Emerald bridge better. All personal of course but that might be the factor that let's me keep my current X20 instead of selling it.
I like the old bridge design, as well, but the new bridge wouldn’t keep me from buying the new model. The rib bevel is the X20 game changer for me.

Quote:
Yeah, I should have gave Luva a shout out for being a big enabler for this purchase. :-) He was a lot of help and answered some questions for me that put me over the edge. Thanks !!

GL was very helpful in regards to my Sable questions, as well.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 08-09-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
I like the old bridge design, as well, but the new bridge wouldn’t keep me from buying the new model. The rib bevel is the X20 game changer for me.

GL was very helpful in regards to my Sable questions, as well.
No shout outs necessary, glad I could help. The Sable was a bit of a shocker to me as well. It was hardly ever mentioned when people were asking about carbon fiber guitars, so it was never on my radar. The Sable for me is a most definite keeper.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber