The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-08-2020, 07:31 AM

Default My Go To Electric Guitar is ...

What's your go to electric guitar? Mine changes over the months/years but the past year it's been my most plain looking, inexpensive, no one notices guitar... A Gibson SGJ, but it just rocks and can handle metal too.

What's yours?

Old 08-08-2020, 07:47 AM

My go to electric guitar, especially when playing at home, is my '67 Gibson ES335.

[/QUOTE]

When I was gigging, I found out that I played better standing up with my '95 Gibson Les Paul Special. And I do love the sound of P90s.

[/QUOTE]
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 08-08-2020, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

I only have two. I've basically had a strat for the whole 42 years or so I've been playing electric. A strat is ALWAYS my number 1 and my go-to. The one I've had for the past few years, since I started playing a lot again, is a Robert Cray hardtail. I've tried a few other much more expensive guitars (including, most recently, a PRS Silver Sky), but they're all gone and the Cray is always here. I paid a grand total of $138 for it. I paid the full $925, but then the retailer I got it from had a 15% off sale a few weeks later, so I called to see if I could get that 15% refunded. They said sure, but accidentally refunded me 85% instead of 15%. I called them to alert them to their mistake, and they said they'd correct it, but they never did. Something about this guitar seemingly was meant to be. The only thing about this guitar that I liked plenty but never quite loved, was the C neck with rosewood board. So now I have a neck from a Classic Player 50's strat, which is beefier, has a soft-V profile, and a maple fretboard, all things I prefer. I paid more for the neck than I did for the guitar.

I also LOVE P-90s and I have an Epiphone SG with P90s that I paid $400 for a few months back. I modified the wiring to just have a master volume and master tone and plugged the other two holes.I love it too and will probably have it a good long time, but it'll always be my #2, because I bleed strat blood.

unnamed by Ray, on Flickr

0-1 by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray
Old 08-08-2020, 08:30 AM

Mine is a humble Vintage Modified Squier Tele Thinline with two wide-range humbucker p'ups. The clearest, chimeiest humbuckers I've ever heard. Plays like butter. Handles everything from Blues to Green Day. $305 worth of awesome

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-08-2020, 08:35 AM

My 1960 Harmony Meteor w/Bigsby. Can't beat those DeArmond "Gold Foil" pickups in that solid wood hollow box!

Last edited by 6L6; 08-13-2020 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:43 AM

I have too many electric guitars, though I kind of like it that way. The different shapes, colors, and hardware kind of please me even before I pick one up and start to play it.

I have electric guitars I've put more mileage on than others in my accumulation, but my favorite changes, and in the past few years when I'm recording but not playing out there's no reason to settle on one or two. I've always been drawn to Telecasters, so I may grab one more often than others.

I spend less time in my studio space now that I don't play with other musicians, and that's were most of the guitars are. That makes an inexpensive Squier Telecaster I have in my "Studio B" (my home office) a go to a lot of the time. The maple neck's not a small as some Squiers, and it has medium jumbo frets, which I like. It's a three pickup Tele, with a Tele bridge pickup, a Strat middle, and a Firebird type mini-humbucker in the neck. It can "fake" a lot of different guitar sounds. The other go to hanging next it is a Samick Avion "Greg Bennett Design" single cut in a sort of Les Paul config with two humbuckers (that sound just OK) and the LP style stop tailpiece and bridge. It's a bolt on neck, but it's a nice neck with jumbo frets. The reason it's there has as much to do with that neck as anything else that it hosts my Fishman Triple Play MIDI interface which gets a lot of use in "Studio B" for overdubs of strings and synth parts.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-08-2020, 09:05 AM

Nice guitars posted so far folks!!

I, too, have way too many electrics and try to get them all involved in recording. Two guitars end up on way more than their share of my songs, though.

For rhythm and occasional solos is my Custom Shop 1989 TriGold HLE Strat.

My 1982 re-issue Telecaster is one of my only guitars with a name. It's called "The Answer" because when I've exhausted all other guitars for a solo section, it always answers the call.

Both guitars were gigged back in the early 90's. Those days are long gone.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:22 AM

'67 Gretsch Chet Atkins Nashville with original Filtertrons and rotted binding...
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 08-08-2020, 09:41 AM

For playing at home, it's this (Ron Kirn custom tele):

But on those rare occasions I get to play out, this is my #1 (2012 Gibson Les Paul "Junior Special")

Old 08-08-2020, 09:55 AM

Since I've got about 50+ guitars in my collection, it's really hard to have a "Go To" guitar, but I'll post 2 that I've been playing a lot lately in my home studio.

'03 Tom Anderson 6120 Tiger Eye Hollow T Drop Top:

'00 Gibson Amber Classic Premium Plus LP

'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 08-08-2020, 10:09 AM
Guitar Gourmet

When I'm in the studio my home base is this:

That's a 2005 Gibson ES-335 DOT in a pic from ten years ago. Even when the date calls for a Tele or Strat or a something else, it usually shows up, just in case. Below it is photo-bombing a Tele.

Live, I like something with a smaller form factor than the ES-335, like a Les Paul or a Strat if I need a wiggly tail.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-08-2020, 10:29 AM

My only electric is a squire bullet tele
Wonderful guitar
179 bucks
Old 08-08-2020, 10:30 AM

I'm in the "too many electrics" club, but that's not a bad thing. I use as many of them as I can, as often as I can. With our band I use a Lone Star Strat, which has an SSH pickup configuration. Very versatile. The single coils are Texas Specials and the humbucker is a Pearly Gates. I never have to switch guitars anymore unless I want to - using the pickup selector and 3 or 4 pedals gives me any sound I need for our songs.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

I tend to lean on a Les Paul Standard. Like crusin' in my Lincoln.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

My one and only electric for the past 45 years or so... my 1974 Gibson ES-345, modified "past the point"!!!

With coil splitters, Seymour Duncan pickups, Kahler locking-nut vibrato, I can pretty much get any of the sounds I want to hear from this one...

and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

Last edited by jseth; 08-08-2020 at 09:44 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars