The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-10-2020, 12:55 PM

Default Stu Corwin?

Anyone ever heard or seen any guitars by an artist named Stu Corwin? Looks like he was as much or more an artist than luthier - very funky designs but the instrument I saw looked like quality craftsmanship. Looks like he built guitars in Northern California from late 70s through the 80s. I have an opportunity to acquire one but wondering about the back story here. Thanks!
Old 05-12-2020, 04:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

I believe he is the brother of Robert Corwin.

Robert is a world renown photographer (Smithsonian collection of folk artists) and authority on vintage Martin guitars.

Robert has a page on him at: http://www.robertcorwin.com/CorwinClassical.html

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 05-12-2020, 11:29 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Robert's a good friend of mine from back in Philly. His collection of Martins rivals the museum and in some ways beats it.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

http://stuartcorwin.com/
Nice website...

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 05-13-2020, 04:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Robert's a good friend of mine from back in Philly. His collection of Martins rivals the museum and in some ways beats it.
Hi Matthew,
I've had the pleasure of visiting with Robert and doing a show at the Folk Alliance as well.

This picture tells the tale about some of his collection!

HE
Old 05-14-2020, 08:13 AM

Default Stu Corwin Guitars On the Market

I just exchanged some emails with Stu Corwin - seems like a really nice guy - only made a few guitars (30?) and is finally at the point in his life where he is letting go of some of the few that he kept in his possession. Two acoustics and some funky electrics - truly pop-culture folk art. He's placed them up on an ebay page with a variety of other items he is letting go...

https://www.ebay.com/usr/eureka-i-fo...p2047675.l2559

I wish I had the $$$ to buy one of these right now.

Here are his thoughts in regard to his work...

At the time in the 1970's, when I was instrument building, I worked in a back-woods home shop, with only tools anyone could buy at their local hardware store. I built from just wood I worked down from lumber; there were no "luthier supply" outfits then. A very labor intensive, time consuming process, which I could not, myself, repeat today.

It was only for my last few instruments that I loosened up, away from traditional form, more towards art, sculpture. When Gibson came out with their Explorer in 1976, I first realized that an electric guitar did not have to be restricted in shape. A casual comment from a friend, that a guitar could even look like a Pterodactyl, inspired months of work, resulting in my Pterodactyl Guitar & Bass. The Rocket Ship electric, inspired by period light-shows, was built with cavities for light installation behind the glass jewels, as well as connecting passages for light wiring. Electric guitars are still functional. I love to hear you say "They make me smile whenever I look at them." My goal as an artist is to get my sculpture noticed, and to elicit opinions, both humorous & serious, from viewers.

I never had a "catalog" of my instruments. My clients were local, by word-of-mouth. When instruments were completed, I sometimes snapped a few quick photos, all I have for most. When I retired from instrument making in 1978, and realized that I had such a poor record of my work, and only a few left, which also happened to be what I viewed as my most unique & creative, I decided to hang on to those. At this stage of my life, I decided I should work on finding them a new home. I recently took pics of these for Ebay. I have given much thought and analysis in pricing, giving priority to what I believed more unique, expressive, a reflection of myself and the period in which I worked.

I fully agree with your observation "I hope whoever buys them gives them a chance to be seen or experienced."

Stuart

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop