The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-25-2020, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

I don't know why anyone would buy two guitars from the same builder. That's like owning more than one road bike or more than one mountain bike!
Old 04-25-2020, 04:15 PM

Expecting my 3rd Greenfield next year (pandemic permitting!) and then my 4th the year after.

Needless to say, I’m a fan of Michael’s work :-D

Joel
Old 04-25-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I don't know why anyone would buy two guitars from the same builder. That's like owning more than one road bike or more than one mountain bike!
That's just what I think.... sometimes. Then I think about the relationship I have enjoyed with most of the builders of my instruments (along with some others) and I think the opposite - how nice it would be to work with them again.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

Last edited by The Bard Rocks; 04-26-2020 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

I really don’t know why someone wouldn’t buy multiple guitars from the same builder, if you’ve found something that sounds great, feels great, and truly speaks to you. I see people who keep commissioning custom guitars, then sell them shortly after as they commission something different from somebody else, and I can only imagine that something must have been very unsatisfactory -

I’ve been thrilled with my Sexauers, and have a new one coming because I wanted one of his beautiful assymetrical designs - its the most calm and unworried custom experience I could imagine, simply because I know his work, and his aesthetic, and I know it’ll be a beautiful looking and sounding instrument - it’s just that simple -
Old 04-25-2020, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Smile Hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
This from a gentleman with multiple instruments from a couple different builders! And how many bikes???

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 04-25-2020, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
This from a gentleman with multiple instruments from a couple different builders! And how many bikes???

Cheers

Paul
No comment, sir!
Old 04-26-2020, 12:21 AM
Charter Member

I currently have 3 guitars from Furch. I just love there vibe. I had 5 of them but I sold 2 off.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by TomB'sox; 04-26-2020 at 05:51 AM. Reason: selling outside classifieds
Old 04-26-2020, 01:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdelin86 View Post
Expecting my 3rd Greenfield next year (pandemic permitting!) and then my 4th the year after.

Needless to say, I’m a fan of Michael’s work :-D

Joel
Hey Joel,

I know your G2, which sounds phenomenal and that you use on most of your Youtube recordings - May I ask the models and wood configurations of the other ones?

Cheers,
Old 04-26-2020, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant75 View Post
Hey Joel,

I know your G2, which sounds phenomenal and that you use on most of your Youtube recordings - May I ask the models and wood configurations of the other ones?

Cheers,
Thanks! First guitar will be one of Michael’s new concert classical C1 models, woods to be chosen by him. Then there’s a model G5 soprano guitar coming my way; so far we’ve settled on moon spruce for the soundboard, back & sides are tbc (again will most likely leave that to Mikey G).

Joel
Old 04-26-2020, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

Only one bike (road), but three custom builds with Mike Baranik and two with Kathy Wingert over many years.

Different body sizes (from 00 to baritone) and different woods. Mike and Kathy make stellar guitars; every build has been a delight and every guitar has been fantastic.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Default 2 pair!

I have two pairs--2 Stehrs and 2 Wilborns.

As many have mentioned previously, it's not only just about how great their guitars are--it's really about the relationships. Once you find a luthier that gives you the sound you love, you re-up because of the fantastic journey and friendship you develop with that particular builder.

Oh, and only 1 bike--a stock mountain bike...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 04-26-2020, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
I have two pairs--2 Stehrs and 2 Wilborns.

As many have mentioned previously, it's not only just about how great their guitars are--it's really about the relationships. Once you find a luthier that gives you the sound you love, you re-up because of the fantastic journey and friendship you develop with that particular builder.

Oh, and only 1 bike--a stock mountain bike...
Yep, I think it’s a blast working with guys who build great guitars and are fun to work with. I’ve gone back to the well with the same guys more than a few times! I have 3 more coming from John Slobod. He’s my luthier crush.

Definitely important to have your endurance road bike (OM), your race road bike (000-12), your big hit mountain bike (Euphonon), and race mountain bike (Jumbo).
Old 04-26-2020, 07:13 PM

I've two Kim Walker guitars, but only because I was stupid enough to sell my third.

Many bicycles, though none as fancy as any of Juston's bicycles, though one of my bicycles does feature cast off parts from one of Juston's bicycles (thank you, my friend!), which should count for something, hopefully good.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
I've two Kim Walker guitars, but only because I was stupid enough to sell my third.

Many bicycles, though none as fancy as any of Juston's bicycles, though one of my bicycles does feature cast off parts from one of Juston's bicycles (thank you, my friend!), which should count for something, hopefully good.
Gorgeous. A Walker is on my list of dream guitars. Right at the top.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Without really knowing what I was doing, I had Mark Angus build me a guitar in 1979; plain, unadorned, nothing fancy (I couldn't afford inlays or high-grade cosmetic woods), and he built me #35... I LOVED that guitar the moment I played it, and have played it ever since...

4 years after #35, I stopped by to visit with Mark and played a lovely 12 string in the shop where he worked as I waited to see him... when we chatted, he told me that his property taxes were due and he needed money, so, if I wanted to buy that 12 string (I had no idea it was his work), he would sell it to me for the same price as #35; even though I hadn't been thinking about getting a 12 string, I couldn't resist the offer, so I found the money for it... #58, 1983...

Still have the pair of them and still love them both! They are my dedicated "stage" guitars at this point, although they are always out and ready to be played when I'm at home...

If I had the financial wherewithal, I would have James Goodall build me a 12 string, along with a Concert Jumbo... I own a Goodall Grand Concert that James and Luke built for me in 2011, and have had the pleasure of playing over 100 of his guitars... his build consistency and sound are unlike any other maker I've encountered, so I'd jump all over the chance to have a pair of them!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop