The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-03-2019, 01:10 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Truly outstanding looks and sound! Congrats!
Old 04-10-2020, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Default That song !!

Hey, gang !

This COVID business has made me realize, yet again, how important it is to learn how to let go of perfectionism.

So, I decided to do a quick recording of the song I wrote last year after this guitar entered my life.

Hope you enjoy it !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oppYthdoYBM

Last edited by Deft Tungsman; 04-11-2020 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:02 AM
Charter Member

I tried DT, but when I hit the play icon all I got was an error message.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:56 AM
Charter Member

After failing to understand how to embed the video in my post, I've reverted to the "YouTube link for Idiots" method. Hope this works !
Old 04-11-2020, 01:55 AM
Charter Member

Smile Claxton

Wow, great song!!! Thanks so much for sharing it. I wish I could sing like that!

I gave your video its first "like" on YouTube.

As I have probably said before, that is the nicest looking Claxton I have ever seen. I drooled over it when it was for sale, and would have likely bought it if the store was in the U.S.

Thanks again for following up on this thread.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 04-11-2020, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
After failing to understand how to embed the video in my post, I've reverted to the "YouTube link for Idiots" method. Hope this works !
Simple is good.

It's a great song Marc, and the guitar sounds fantastic. I was wondering how the walnut would affect the tone and I can hear that same "woodiness" that I get with my claro walnut Baranik. I can see why you like the Claxton so much.

More videos please, put social distancing to good use!
Old 04-11-2020, 07:15 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Very nice song Marc. Maybe I can get up the stones to post one.

Nice voice and the Claxton has great tone!
Old 04-11-2020, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Thank you guys for your feedback, it really means a lot to me.

I must say, I'm somewhat surprised that some of you appreciate my singing because that's the part where I'm always very disappointed in myself. I'm about as far away from being a natural singer as a man can be, at least in my mind. So once again, thanks !

I am not at all surprised at the compliments on my Claxton, however. Not only is it a thing of singular beauty - the Claro Walnut back and sides are off the charts - but it has tone to die for. It is a deeply inspiring guitar that gushes musicality, regardless of what I'm playing. Like I said in the original post, it's the guitar that jarred me out of a creative dry spell that I thought would never end.

Having dared post this song, I hope to keep the old stones warm enough during this prolonged isolation to do some more videos of songs I've never recorded before.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Marc,
Sounds great! I have come to believe that walnut is a greatly underappreciated tonewood.

Steve
Old 04-11-2020, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Nicely done, Marc--thanks for sharing that!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 04-11-2020, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Steve.

On the "walnut as tonewood" subject, I do not have an opinion one way or another. However, I do believe that some luthiers, and Ed Claxton is certainly one of them, have the skills, experience, intuition, etc. to coax the tone they're aiming for out of a great many different species of timber. Steveh, who unlike me has sampled quite a few Claxtons over the years, may chime in to reiterate what he's said before, to wit, that Ed is so consistent that you'd have a hard time telling which woods he's used on any given instrument.

Colin, I'm going to put you on the spot and make a request. Could you possibly post a comparative sample of your two (or even three?) Baraniks so we can hear the differences between wlanut, African blackwood and koa ? I'd do the same with mine, but I am currently in Corona seclusion in the middle of nowhere in central France with only the Claxton to keep me company. (Poor me, right?)

On the basis of my limited experience, I believe that the choice of timber has an influence on how a guitar performs/sounds, but the choice of luthier has a much greater impact.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, Steve.

On the "walnut as tonewood" subject, I do not have an opinion one way or another. However, I do believe that some luthiers, and Ed Claxton is certainly one of them, have the skills, experience, intuition, etc. to coax the tone they're aiming for out of a great many different species of timber. Steveh, who unlike me has sampled quite a few Claxtons over the years, may chime in to reiterate what he's said before, to wit, that Ed is so consistent that you'd have a hard time telling which woods he's used on any given instrument.

Colin, I'm going to put you on the spot and make a request. Could you possibly post a comparative sample of your two (or even three?) Baraniks so we can hear the differences between wlanut, African blackwood and koa ? I'd do the same with mine, but I am currently in Corona seclusion in the middle of nowhere in central France with only the Claxton to keep me company. (Poor me, right?)

On the basis of my limited experience, I believe that the choice of timber has an influence on how a guitar performs/sounds, but the choice of luthier has a much greater impact.
I agree that the builder is way more important than the woods. And body size may have a bigger effect too (thinking of my 00 versus my CX).

I only have really cheap recording gear, I will muck around with it and see if the results are worth posting. Might force me into some (identical) new strings on the guitars too!
Old 04-13-2020, 01:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
I agree that the builder is way more important than the woods. And body size may have a bigger effect too (thinking of my 00 versus my CX).

I only have really cheap recording gear, I will muck around with it and see if the results are worth posting. Might force me into some (identical) new strings on the guitars too!
A couple of comments. First, you're right, size matters! (Cheap shot, I know.) So does length! (Not a cheap shot, I swear! I'm referring to scale length, which is something I discovered when I took delivery of the Black Cocobolo Meridian, as I detailed in my thread on that guitar.)

Second, you don't necessarily need fancy recording gear to get decent results if you have a recent, high quality smart phone. Last summer, I invested in a matched pair of Neumann KM184 microphones, and they are excellent. (They should be considering how expensive they were !) But in December I got a new iPhone 11, which is the only thing I used to film this video of Shining Now I Know. I am very impressed with both the video and audio quality, and it's so simple to use.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
A couple of comments. First, you're right, size matters! (Cheap shot, I know.) So does length! (Not a cheap shot, I swear! I'm referring to scale length, which is something I discovered when I took delivery of the Black Cocobolo Meridian, as I detailed in my thread on that guitar.)
I'm surprised you didn't mention sustain!
Old 04-13-2020, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
I'm surprised you didn't mention sustain!
Ha ! You got me there, man !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop