The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-21-2012, 09:21 AM

Default **Mixer recommendation / A&H Zed12fx vs. Soundcraft MFXi8

I've been researching mixers to go with a pair of QSC K10's ---- and keep coming back to the following two (Allen & Heath or Soundcraft) based on user reviews.

Hopefully I can get an acoustic-guitar player's opinion --- this is going to be used almost primarily for LIVE performances (vocals & acoustic guitar) --- duo/trio. Some basic recording>Macbook.

I like the USB on the A&H --- but my understanding it's simply a Stereo In/Out.

The Mute Buttons / Phantom Power / Effects are the main requirements & it looks like both have these features. I'm looking for reliability, and the best possible sound/mix.

Any opinions/advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks AGF!

Jake

Taylor 810 CE
Old 05-21-2012, 02:55 PM

I use a ZED 10FX, which I personally feel has the best preamps on the market.

I don't feel mute buttons are that important, as you turn the rotary volumes down on the channel or the master as fast as hitting a mute button. The effects are OK but must be tailored to your individual preferences, or in other words, the presets need a little tweaking And yes, I bought quite a few mixers before I discovered how good the A&H preamps were.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:58 PM

I also heard a lot of people with the same opinion of the a&h pre's, but I also heard that SC have great pre-amps too.

Anyone able to explain the difference?!!

That seems like one of the few deciding factors other than the USB (a&h) or effects (sc) that are setting these 2 apart. Thanks!!

Taylor 810 CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD