The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-12-2020, 07:47 AM

Default Gibson Archtop Amplification

Quick question AGF --
Purchased my first archtop and excited to use it at an upcoming wedding. Problem is, it has no pickup. It does have a hole in the side for a jack, though.
Archtop players, what is a good option for amplification?
I don't want to drill any holes (no P90) and I want a fairly simple install.
I'm thinking something in the "stick on" world? Like a Schatten, K&K, or ...others?
Could possibly do a clip-on mic like a K&K Meridian?
It's not the manufacturers intention, but would a Trance Amulet work?
LR Baggs Lyric - good or bad idea?
'50's Gibson LG-1
lukegardmusic.com
Old 08-13-2020, 05:17 AM

I've tried several options on Hofner and Framus archtops. On the Hofner I was particularly looking for a jazzy electric sound and came across a humbucker off an old Les Paul that someone had replaced, it was gorgeous. I stuck it to the end of the fingerboard with two strips of plastic and routed the cable round the outside temporarily (permanently).

For the Framus I wanted a more acoustic sound. Initially I put a UST piezo in and it worked reasonably well for a few years. I eventually tried a Schertler dyn-g (not great) and a K&K Twin Spot in various positions (pretty good) but the introduction of the Tonedexter and JonFields45/Cuki79 IR generator in a Mooer Radar pedal gave a whole new lease of life to the piezo UST which is where I'm at now.

My experience with the Fishman Matrix Infinity in other guitars would always put that high on the list.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

Many a good acoustic Archtop has been ruined by people tryig to tuirn them into electrics.

Whatever you do you will damage it in some way, and it wonlt soud like the original guitar amplified....... but ..... if yu have to, a Kent Armstrong floating pick up only requires fur screws into the end of the fretboard.

Maybe the K&K "definity" system might only damage the top and bridge a little.
just PLEASE - don't think of screwing anything to the top.

Archtop "looking" guitars with screw on pick ups are very different to acoustics, even though they may look similar - as the electrics tend to have a fence post glued underneath the top to deaden the acoustic resonance.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:50 AM

I bought a Gibson tg-50 a few yrs back.
It is an L-50 with a tenor guitar neck.
It's a sweet playing instrument. No pickup.
I put a 29 dollar. JJB pickup in it.
It is an sbt like the kk. I used some non marring
putty to attach the sensors on the top. Until I found what I thought was the "sweet spot"
One sensor in the treble side close
to the bridge other on the bass end near the f-hole. I then super glued them same spots inside.
It sounds great!!. 29 dollars doesn't get you
Much these days but this worked
really well for me.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:04 AM

Thanks, guys.
Yes I'm into the simplest install and least invasive install as possible. No need to cut an unnecessary hole.
K&K stick on type is probably what I'll go with. Good to hear that it's been done before with some success.
'50's Gibson LG-1
lukegardmusic.com
Old 08-13-2020, 07:18 AM

The classic add-on pickup is the D'Armond, now made by Guild (Fender). It is touted to retain the classic sound. I've used a Johnny Smith style pickup, humbucker, on a couple of acoustic archtops, it has ears that wrap around and screw into the neck extension. The other less intrusive option is a finger-rest (pickguard) mounted floating pickup. The road less travelled might be an ultra-thin pickup mounted with stickum, designed for a resonator guitar, they have them down to around 3/8" thick. Many many options.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukegard22 View Post
Thanks, guys.
Yes I'm into the simplest install and least invasive install as possible. No need to cut an unnecessary hole.
K&K stick on type is probably what I'll go with. Good to hear that it's been done before with some success.
Are you playing solo, incidental music for the wedding (as opposed to with a band at the reception)? Why not just use an external mic?
Old 08-13-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
Are you playing solo, incidental music for the wedding (as opposed to with a band at the reception)? Why not just use an external mic?
Yep, solo stuff while they walk down the aisle, etc.
Good input--
I'll probably bring an SDC mic and an amp and see how the room/feedback is. But trying to be prepared for anything and everything.
'50's Gibson LG-1
lukegardmusic.com
Old 08-13-2020, 02:44 PM

I installed a Pickuptheworld pickup in my Gibson L48 some years ago- sounds pretty good.
The company does not exist anymore, but the founder David Enke now runs OpenSource Pickups.
Today I would try Dazzo, K&K or JJB.
Ah yes, and a Tone Dexter is a nice add - I did a comparison vid on YouTube some time ago. Will try to find it and send you the link. PM me if interested.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification