The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-28-2020, 11:32 AM
Guest 928

Default nylon strings

I've lost my record of nylon strings and trying to retrieve the last set I purchased, one that was recommended on this site. I think the set was Aquila Chitarre Classical--three red bass and three brown/beige strings. I really like this set and would like to get another.

I also see a number of Aquila variations on line--does anyone have experience with the various options? Your experience will be welcomed.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Evan, I empathize with your dilemma. I wish I could help, but…

There are a dizzying Number of string choices out there. It’s too much to keep up with. I find that I like a lot of different strings. I find that some strings work better on some guitars, another brand of strings work better on other guitars.

I’ve tried at least two types of the Aquilas in the last couple years, and I’m sorry I don’t remember what they were. One of them was one of the new sugared types. The sound was great, but they were hard to keep in tune and there was lotta finger squeak from both the fingers on my right hand and the fingers on my left hand.

So it’s possible that my post here might be good information, but it certainly does not give you any specific recommendation.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:02 PM
Guest 928

I just found that I have the Aquile Chitarre strings--the ones in the red pack. I've ordered another set, but I'm also interested in the other Aquile strings--are you experienced?
Old 07-31-2020, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

There are several threads on Aquila strings over at Delcamp:

https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.c...forum.php?f=43

Off the top of my head, I think I bought two different types of Aquila strings. I think one was the Alchemia. I have one set of one of the Aquila brand of strings on my 1982 Sakurai for almost 2 years now, which goes to show how infrequently I play that guitar these days. The strings on the Sakurai a very nice sound quality, but they squeak a lot from fingers touching the strings - both the right hand fingers and the left hand fingers.

It seems that the founder of Aquila strains is really dedicated to constant experimentation in a quest for ever better sounding strings.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:20 AM
Guest 928

Cecil;

Thank you for the site. I paricularly like the personal dialogue between the maker and the players regarding general well-being and health. Has sort of the feel found on this forum. Nice.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Evan, I have been using the Aquila Rubino this year and quite like them. They meet the description you have of red wound with brownish trebles.

See attached photoImage%20(4).jpg
Old 08-07-2020, 09:04 AM
Guest 928

Aspiring;

I am also liking the durability of the strings--have not had any breakage. And I like the color.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Yup I have been getting great mileage out of them and they do look cool. I just changed a set off of my x7 nylon and went back to the optima gold to try there and I think the Optimas might be a touch nicer in sound but not a lot.

On my folding travel guitar they are awesome sound wise and I love the feel and playability of the Rubinos as well.

The Rubinos seem super nice good tone longevity and great price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Aspiring;

I am also liking the durability of the strings--have not had any breakage. And I like the color.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber