The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-22-2020, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
I have been on the road for a month with OF660 and still have a few more weeks before getting back home to play Cordoba cadet I paid $200 blemished a few months ago. While I couldn't be happier with OO660, I do miss nylon strings and am not sure if I could wait long enough to hear what forum members think of it before committing. After all it does overlap in many ways what OF660 provides for the most part.
Regardless, I am curious why OC660 and their wood version seem to have their saddle closer to the rear than OF660. Would it be purely to accommodate a longer string length despite what appears to be not the optimal sweet spot? I would love to know more about their thought process on the their design including the sound hole. Any speculations or inside infos?
Hey Gitman, The saddle position is due to the scale. the normal OF660 is 24.5 inch. The OC660M is a full 650mm scale. then the neck length is constrained by the carry-on dims. It's not 100% in the sweet spot but from our data we gathered full scale would have better tension and playability for most crosover guitarists.
1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robailey View Post
Hey Gitman, The saddle position is due to the scale. the normal OF660 is 24.5 inch. The OC660M is a full 650mm scale. then the neck length is constrained by the carry-on dims. It's not 100% in the sweet spot but from our data we gathered full scale would have better tension and playability for most crosover guitarists.
Hello Rob,

Thank you for clearing up my question, it sounds like a higher tension and accommodating the classical players were the goals. I really like OF660 scale length and even more so as I am not getting any younger. I sure hope some day a short scale version would be available.

Lately I have been paying more attention to the inner parts of the both OF and OC660. I noticed a channel all around the edge of the soundboard and Hershey Kiss candy shaped structures hanging from the soundboard. Are these parts of the design? If so, what do they do? If not, can I sand down all of those and make my soundboard flat and lighter?

I also noticed on OC660, the fretted pitches are a tad bit higher on 12th frets while a harmonic pitches are dead on. I think the higher action on OC may have not been compensated, IMHO. which leads me to asking whether a truss rod is a possibility in future OC660s. I noticed your wood versions have truss rods and why not on OC so that the player could fine-tune their liking.

Anyhow, I can't thank you enough for prducing such wonderful guitars that allow me to take it with me no matter where I go. I sure hope you keep on improving on these forefronts. Thank you, Rob!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber