The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-10-2020, 04:32 PM

Default Head angle and nut issue

I have acquired a custom guitar from someone and I'd like to get some professional feedback on the build. Currently the low E and B string sounds a bit dead compared to the other strings, as well slight buzzing on all strings no matter where I fret. There is literally no space at the nut/head compared to other guitars I have. You can see in the 4th image that grooves where cut in the truss rod plate to allow room for the strings to get through to the machine heads. I added a pic of a Martin OM to reference as a comparison. It appears the frets are quite low too.. your thoughts/observations.

As experience luthiers what do you see wrong here? What would you do to correct these issues?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iedz95p3MjUGYRGq6

Martin D-35 -1975
Martin HD-28V-2009
Martin OM-18 Authentic 1933
Martin 000-41 Custom Adi/EIR 2007
Martin OM-28 Marquis 2010
Bourgeois OM Custom 2012
Boucher BG-52, 2018
Gibson J-45-2013
Taylor 414ce-L30-2004
Taylor 322e-12 fret-2017
Dobro Model 60-DS - 1975

Last edited by The Saint; 05-10-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
I had a luthier in Ottawa build me an acoustic guitar and I'd like to get some professional feedback on what I might experience in future problems with this build. Currently I have a low E and B string that sounds a bit dead compared to the other strings, as well slight buzzing on all strings no matter where I fret. There is literally no angle at the nut/head compared to other guitars I have. You can see in the 4th image that grooves where cut to allow room for the strings to get through to the machine heads. I added a pic of a Martin OM to reference as a comparison.

Would you be concerned with these issues?
What does your luthier have to say about it? Surely he (or she) should be the first person to ask.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-10-2020, 07:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Your head angle looks acceptable to me. The problem is that the nut is buried too deeply relative to the head face. The actual problem is the head, not the nut. The nut should be more on it than in it. It is a conceptual construction issue.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Smile Talk to the builder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
What does your luthier have to say about it? Surely he (or she) should be the first person to ask.
I agree here for sure. Your Luthier should fix this, I believe. It would be to their benefit to have the axe play correctly and sound its best. And to have you happy too!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-10-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Your head angle looks acceptable to me. The problem is that the nut is buried too deeply relative to the head face. The actual problem is the head, not the nut. The nut should be more on it than in it. It is a conceptual construction issue.
Looks like the builder didn't take into account the height of the two veneers on top of the headstock. Hence cocooning the nut, and requiring the grooves to be made into the truss rod cover.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 05-10-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
I have acquired a custom guitar from someone and I'd like to get some professional feedback on the build. Currently the low E and B string sounds a bit dead compared to the other strings, as well slight buzzing on all strings no matter where I fret. There is literally no space at the nut/head compared to other guitars I have. You can see in the 4th image that grooves where cut in the truss rod plate to allow room for the strings to get through to the machine heads. I added a pic of a Martin OM to reference as a comparison. It appears the frets are quite low too.. your thoughts/observations.

As experience luthiers what do you see wrong here? What would you do to correct these issues?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iedz95p3MjUGYRGq6
There's a problem with the basic geometry of the head plane in relation to the fretboard plane. Everything would be fine if the extra white layer wasn't added. When you add multiple overlay layers that needs to be taken into account when the instrument is designed.

This is really a case where an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

The nut slots are also poorly cut and way too much nut is left above the string level. This makes for a nut that can be uncomfortable for the left hand if it contacts the nut edge while playing.

IF the head is thick enough the real fix would be to plane away the ebony overlay and the underlying thick white layer, replacing the ebony overlay afterward. If you want the white contrast then it should be incorporated below the new ebony face overlay. It requires some re-work and refinishing the neck, but that's how I would do it. (As a luthier I'd consider it a lesson learned in woodshedding the design before cutting any lumber.)

Having to cut slots in the truss rod cover should have been enough of a tip off. Anyone who builds instruments occasionally does something like this, so it's best to face it and fix it before it goes out to the customer.

Last edited by Rudy4; 05-10-2020 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Can't see the string trajectory from either end, can't really see the string height, can't see the relief in the neck, can't see the saddle. From your description on the dull sound and buzzing, I suspect the entire setup needs a major diagnosis and correction. Nut, truss rod, saddle, and quite possibly some leveling and crowning of the frets.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

It looks like the frets are already ground down a good bit and the nut (maybe) too low so I'd say it's worth taking in to a solid repair/setup person and having them give it a look over. My guess is it might need a re-fret but there so much at play it's best to get an in person analysis.
instagram
Old 05-11-2020, 03:40 PM

You say you acquired this guitar I'm assuming you hadn't ordered it custom yourself. I don't believe it came that way new from Blackwood.
I think it may have been mistreated...environmentally.. or by someone who tried some adjustment attempt at lowering action maybe? And tried to compensate by cutting those slots in truss rod cover and filing the heck out of the nut.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:13 PM

A new setup would go a long way to get this guitar straightened out.
I agree with all the above comments. Two items it depends on are whether you need the truss rod cover on for aesthetic reasons and how low you want your action.

The nut seems to be the main culprit for your buzzing. The channels are too small on the low e then get progressively too large. It also looks like the angle of the channel is off and a little low as well. I dont think your surgery needs to be massive necessarily. If you can have the cover off and higher action you might be able to get away with getting a new nut.

Taking it to a local shop for a diagnostic and setup first is the best idea
Old 05-12-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohr View Post
You say you acquired this guitar I'm assuming you hadn't ordered it custom yourself. I don't believe it came that way new from Blackwood.
I think it may have been mistreated...environmentally.. or by someone who tried some adjustment attempt at lowering action maybe? And tried to compensate by cutting those slots in truss rod cover and filing the heck out of the nut.
Yes.. It was s custom build for me by a luthier in Ottawa Canada.

Martin D-35 -1975
Martin HD-28V-2009
Martin OM-18 Authentic 1933
Martin 000-41 Custom Adi/EIR 2007
Martin OM-28 Marquis 2010
Bourgeois OM Custom 2012
Boucher BG-52, 2018
Gibson J-45-2013
Taylor 414ce-L30-2004
Taylor 322e-12 fret-2017
Dobro Model 60-DS - 1975
Old 05-12-2020, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Cool Custom Build

I would not accept a custom order that showed up like that, with the headstock built up too high, the slots cut into the truss rod cover as a band-aid fix, and a nut that does not appear to be carved correctly. I would ask the luthier to repair it by building a new neck and headstock that correctly fits the guitar.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 05-12-2020, 05:12 PM

The thick peghead veneer is the culprit, but the other factor is the layout of the peghead face. Older Martins have the peghead angle beginning at the end of the fingerboard, with the nut sitting on the slope. This lowers the peghead face slightly, allowing for a thicker veneer.

A simple solution would be to rout a channel and inlay the truss rod cover at least partially, if not the full thickness. This also may require a thinner truss rod cover. As long as the strings are not actually touching the peghead face or the truss rod cover, a proper setup should be achievable.

Buzzing of fretted notes is not normally a nut problem, unless it is a back buzz you are hearing. Back buzz is where the string is buzzing against the frets between the fretting finger and the nut. This can be remedied by increasing relief, or by raising the nut slightly. Also make sure the strings are not buzzing against the truss rod cover.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:27 AM

If that's acceptable workmanship to the builder, it would make me question the build quality of the rest of the instrument.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 05-13-2020, 07:17 PM

As a quick experiment on the buzz could you shim the nut up a hair or two? Maybe a piece of business card underneath.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop