The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-10-2017, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Default 12 fret vs lower bout

Ok, this sounds decent. Raw recordings, no eq. Facing away from the corner with the doors open to the adjacent room to remove reflections from the french doors.

First the mic at the 12th:

And the mic at the lower bout:

Better presence and volume with both I think. I know which one I like better, but what do your ears say?

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:29 AM

Hey Barry......12th fret sounds a bit better to me. Sound is more full, with more "presence". Early on your bass notes on this selection were also more pronounced and really added to the piece. The volume seemed just a tad louder on this one.....could be my imagination. Nice job!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 06-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Hey Barry......12th fret sounds a bit better to me. Sound is more full, with more "presence". Early on your bass notes on this selection were also more pronounced and really added to the piece. The volume seemed just a tad louder on this one.....could be my imagination. Nice job!
Thanks Fred. I think its an improvement. I liked the 12th fret one better too. I'll go with this configuration for a while. It's convenient too as I only have to rotate my chair around and set a small table up for my music and a stool for the mic desktop stand.

I'm just trying to get a half way decent recording without using room treatments as the room is multi purpose and is used by all members of my family at various times.

I can play around with a little eq later on for the fun of it too.

My SoundCloud page

Old 06-10-2017, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Barry, do you have 2 mics? If you try both positions at once - one around the body/neck joint, the other below the bridge - and pan each left and right, you get classic "spaced pairs" stereo, which should sound much better.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Barry, do you have 2 mics? If you try both positions at once - one around the body/neck joint, the other below the bridge - and pan each left and right, you get classic "spaced pairs" stereo, which should sound much better.
Doug, yes I have two mics. I have to find my other mic cables or get a longer cable for my USB device.

My SoundCloud page

Old 06-10-2017, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Doug, yes I have two mics. I have to find my other mic cables or get a longer cable for my USB device.
I think you'd find that makes a huge difference, virtually all solo guitar tracks you hear these days are recorded in stereo, and a stereo recording can be more forgiving than a mono track. I find getting a good sound with a single mic in mono to be really challenging.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD