The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-06-2021, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Default Alaska Piks?

I may have asked this before, but does anyone use these for their nylon playing? I have a set that I had worked on a bit. The only thing I don't like about them is that they rub against each other on the sides (which I filed down a bit). Does anyone else have this issue? Do you just get used to this?

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-09-2021, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

I used to use them a bunch for fingerpicking. Not so much for classical as I could never buff them enough for nylon strings, but I thought they sounded great for steel strings. You definitely get used to the width very quickly.

I succumbed to using gel nails as I needed a bit of nail anyway to keep the Alaska Piks on. My nails are very thin and quite mis-shapened and sound terrible on nylon. Acrylics thinned my nails even more. Paul Huemiller at Dream Guitars told me he had the same thing and switched to gels. Since Covid closed all the salons in California I bought a grinder, the pre-treatment, the gel, some disposable brushes, and a UV light. The supplies were about $60, which will probably last three years and it takes 15 minutes. That's saving me $30/month. So I prefer that to the Alaska Piks now.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:45 AM

I have tried alaska picks before, but on steel string, not nylon. I hated them, because they were too tight, as well not totally secure on my fingers.

If it's the feel of the fingertip you like (which normal plastic fingerpicks don't allow), I recommend these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000NGVQKO/

Yes, they're metal, which you might think is not a very nice sound on nylon, but they dont sound "metallic" at all. In comparison with fingernails, they produce a fuller and louder sound - like having thick and smoothly filed fingernails. Maybe just a very slight metallic attack, but not harsh. Plus, being metal, you can bend them to your finger size.

The photo of the hand wearing them is not quite right: the tip of the metal ring should sit right up snugly under whatever nail you have remaining (if any), right where the end of the fingernail should be I.e., that guy's index finger looks about right, but the ring finger one is way too far from the nail.

Admittedly, I've only used them on steel-string, and only when I break a nail and have to cut it right back. Normally I prefer fingernails on both kinds of string. But I was surprised how good these sounded. (I did just try mine on nylon - not as good as fingernails, but definitely a good replacement for a broken nail.)

So-called butterfly picks work the same way:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/STRUM-Guita...dp/B07KF713YK/

In any case they are so cheap, they'd be worth a try!
Old 03-10-2021, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
I have tried alaska picks before, but on steel string, not nylon. I hated them, because they were too tight, as well not totally secure on my fingers.

If it's the feel of the fingertip you like (which normal plastic fingerpicks don't allow), I recommend these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000NGVQKO/

Yes, they're metal, which you might think is not a very nice sound on nylon, but they dont sound "metallic" at all. In comparison with fingernails, they produce a fuller and louder sound - like having thick and smoothly filed fingernails. Maybe just a very slight metallic attack, but not harsh. Plus, being metal, you can bend them to your finger size.

The photo of the hand wearing them is not quite right: the tip of the metal ring should sit right up snugly under whatever nail you have remaining (if any), right where the end of the fingernail should be I.e., that guy's index finger looks about right, but the ring finger one is way too far from the nail.

Admittedly, I've only used them on steel-string, and only when I break a nail and have to cut it right back. Normally I prefer fingernails on both kinds of string. But I was surprised how good these sounded. (I did just try mine on nylon - not as good as fingernails, but definitely a good replacement for a broken nail.)

So-called butterfly picks work the same way:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/STRUM-Guita...dp/B07KF713YK/

In any case they are so cheap, they'd be worth a try!
I'll check them out thanks.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical