The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 08:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

The Pear WRX has entered the finishing process:

And so I have started another guitar, an FT-L00 in Pernambuco and with a yet another Hampton Bros. Adi top.

Old 02-22-2022, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Smile Ooooohhhhhh…..

Oh-oh

An 00! Your P gits have ALL been spectacularly BEAUTIFUL

actually all your guitars are beautiful…

Carry-on Bruce and have fun

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-24-2022, 07:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

The pear FT-000C-JB/2-WRX has its 3rd coat of varnish and looks exactly like the last pictures. Here is a better view of the simple Koa trim that distinguishes a WRX from my mainstream work:

The P FT-L00 has a braced back and the 2nd of 3 tiers of top bracing is ready to be finessed like the 1st tier has been.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 02-24-2022 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2022, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

"...Here is a better view of the simple Koa trim that distinguishes a WRX from my mainstream work."

Well...as far as the rosette goes anyway, you did offer more rings but your low-bling customer ended up opting for a very simple look.
Old 02-25-2022, 04:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Bruce i am really smitten by the pear WRX. The simplicity and the graceful lines are very beguiling. It shows how good style does not need bangles and bling to make a statement.
Old 02-25-2022, 08:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Bruce i am really smitten by the pear WRX. The simplicity and the graceful lines are very beguiling. It shows how good style does not need bangles and bling to make a statement.
Thank you, John.

Here is a peek at the L00's pernambuco back:

Amazon Backstrip:

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 02-26-2022 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-11-2022, 03:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Michael Bashkin called me a couple of weeks ago and asked me if I would like to be interviewed for his “Luthier on Luthier” podcast series. I agreed, and we did the interview this morning. It seemed to go well, and though those of you who have followed my closely will not learn much that’s new, it will likely be a concise synopsis of my career and lutherie philosophy. Can’t say when it will become available, but I will let you know.

I returned from a camping trip yesterday, and have barely moved past what you see in my last photos. More will come very soon.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Funny how things can sneak up on a person, time-wise. For many years I have had the target and hope that I would be able to build guitars until I hit 75. I will be hitting that mark in 6 days: 3/17/22.

Things are going pretty well for me in what could have been my dotage, and I do not expect to stop building either guitars or violins, not quite yet, but I am making a big change.

As of the date above, my 75th B-day, I plan to take no more customer specified commissions. I do have a couple of builds for stores to complete, fairly generic high end pieces, but the one I am glueing the back on today may well be the final custom Sexauer guitar, number 321 (02/22) of my documented acoustic guitars.

If the phone rings off the hook for the next six days, I will cut off orders once I'm overwhelmed, but I don't expect it to happen. I plan to start a Bluegrass D28ish for myself next week or so, just because people keeping buying them out from under me.

Here is 321's Pernambuco back with the label:

And the back goes on:

Old 03-11-2022, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

That’s awesome, Bruce, I look forward to hearing the interview… and of course continuing to follow the Pear WRX along.
Old 03-11-2022, 08:16 PM

Bruce, I am very happy for you that you are stepping back on your own terms and at the time you choose. That in itself is quite a blessing. I am very much looking forward to your interview with Michael, as well as continuing to follow this thread for as long as you post.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

I was talking with Bruce about this - don’t think that he’s gonna stop building guitars and violins and whatever else he feels like. What he’ll do, and what I am personally very excited about, is build purely on his terms, fully embracing and exploring his ideals and standards for tone, playability, and aesthetics. It’s kinda what he’s been doing with his violins, which he’s made some very nice ones - much more Sexauer than Stradivarius. While he’s mastered the challenge of hitting the target of a customers expectations with his guitars, I’ve always found there is something particularly special about the instruments he builds for himself, or I should say, defined by his personal thoughts and ideas but without a customers specific order. While age may someday slow him down a bit, I am eager to see how he will explore using his well established skills, combined with his outstanding wood locker, to work at his own pace creating some really special instruments that very possibly wouldn’t get ordered if left strictly up to his customers. Possibly, the best is yet to come!
Old 03-12-2022, 07:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

I believe Stradivari built into his 90’s. May you do so also! We have never met but I have learned a lot from your posts, photos and reflections on great guitars. Thanks for that and best wishes in this next chapter. Dave
Old 03-12-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I was talking with Bruce about this - don’t think that he’s gonna stop building guitars and violins and whatever else he feels like. What he’ll do, and what I am personally very excited about, is build purely on his terms, fully embracing and exploring his ideals and standards for tone, playability, and aesthetics. It’s kinda what he’s been doing with his violins, which he’s made some very nice ones - much more Sexauer than Stradivarius. While he’s mastered the challenge of hitting the target of a customers expectations with his guitars, I’ve always found there is something particularly special about the instruments he builds for himself, or I should say, defined by his personal thoughts and ideas but without a customers specific order. While age may someday slow him down a bit, I am eager to see how he will explore using his well established skills, combined with his outstanding wood locker, to work at his own pace creating some really special instruments that very possibly wouldn’t get ordered if left strictly up to his customers. Possibly, the best is yet to come!
I would have loved this if we had a “love” button on AGF. Thanks Tad!
Old 03-12-2022, 03:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here is the FT-L00 Pernambuco/Hampton Adi closed and cleaned up, ready to bind:

Old 03-14-2022, 08:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

The top of the new Pernambuco L00 is bound, the back not so much.

View through the side port:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop