The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2021, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Guitar suggestion: Replicating wls-dlx sound in bigger body

Ok friends, I know the premise is impossible...I'm merely asking for hypothetical thoughts and suggestions that I should investigate.

My Waterloo Wls-Dlx is an other-wordly sounding guitar, it's tone is perfection for my tastes. But I'm tall and like big necks, so it's on the small side for me. Size-wise, a slope shoulder dread fits me best. OM's are usually a little too thin, bug my shoulder, and aren't as great for flatpicking. The dlx is a great strummer/flatpicker imo. Sounds kind of like Rawlings Epiphone.

Is there a bigger body guitar that you think has a similar tone to a wls-dlx? I own a WL-JK rosewood and it, too, is incredible, but it's more dry vs the reverberant and haunting wls-dlx.

I've been investigating New Era (esp the DF) and Iris (though their string spacing is too tight for my tastes). Maybe a Fraulini....?

I'm open ears to any suggestions. A custom build would be an option, but I'd hopefully be able to play or hear a stock model first to see if it's in the same ballpark.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Old 09-19-2021, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Look at the Martin Whiskey Sunset models. There's a DSS-17 that might fit you better.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-19-2021, 02:28 PM

Here’s some info about a Fraulini built for Craig Ventresco. It’s about 5/8” wider at the lower bout than an OM. Maybe a long scale version with ladder bracing?

http://fraulini.com/felix-000-sized-14-fret/

I’ve heard Craig’s up close - it puts out a lot of sound.

I have a basic WL-S. Great guitar.
Old 09-19-2021, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigZuege View Post
Ok friends, I know the premise is impossible...I'm merely asking for hypothetical thoughts and suggestions that I should investigate.

My Waterloo Wls-Dlx is an other-wordly sounding guitar, it's tone is perfection for my tastes. But I'm tall and like big necks, so it's on the small side for me. Size-wise, a slope shoulder dread fits me best. OM's are usually a little too thin, bug my shoulder, and aren't as great for flatpicking. The dlx is a great strummer/flatpicker imo. Sounds kind of like Rawlings Epiphone.

Is there a bigger body guitar that you think has a similar tone to a wls-dlx? I own a WL-JK rosewood and it, too, is incredible, but it's more dry vs the reverberant and haunting wls-dlx.

I've been investigating New Era (esp the DF) and Iris (though their string spacing is too tight for my tastes). Maybe a Fraulini....?

I'm open ears to any suggestions. A custom build would be an option, but I'd hopefully be able to play or hear a stock model first to see if it's in the same ballpark.

Thanks for any thoughts!
When you say "slope shoulder dread" do you mean a 12 fret dread, or a Gibson esque jumbo?

If the former investigate Collings Ds models - 1 & 13/16" nut width. Great guitars. Won't sound like your Waterloo, but will sound great.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll look into that the Whiskey Sunset and the Fraulini. I love Frank Basile's playing.

Silly, I was using common modern nomenclature and referring to Gibson-style Jumbos as opposed to square-shoulder guitars. I've owned a DS1A. One of the best guitars I've played, but that extra 1/16th at the nut was enough to bug my hand after a while.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
collings, fraulini, larson, new era, waterloo