The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-14-2022, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Wishing you a belated happy birthday Kev! And many more!!!

I've been thinking about picking up a Latch Lake Xtra Boom arm. It looks like it would be useful say if you were recording a singing guitar player. Are any folks here using the Xtra Boom this way? Which length do you find the most useful?
Old 01-14-2022, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
Hi Kev!

Sorry I am late to this party, but I received my new Latch Lake 2200 a few days ago. I gotta say, pictures really don’t do justice to this stand! They are very heavy duty, well made, and stable. I got tired of trying to balance and stabilize the standard type tripod stands with the heavier mics. Each part of the stand is very well engineered and well thought out. It doesn’t seem out of place at all in my recording space. Probably the best mic stand available. I chose the chrome version, which looks very classy! I plan to add a boom attachment and another spin grip. So, upon receiving it, and every time I look at it, I am completely amazed! One cool feature is the way they design it to handle securing the mic cable along each latch point. Ingenious! Good choice!
Very nice congrats
I have been using the the small latch on the extension arm to "keep" the cable as well and the final latch/ and mic attachment at the tip of the boom,,,, but just realized I had not been using the double mic cable keepers on the main boom to stand latch

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-14-2022, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
Wishing you a belated happy birthday Kev! And many more!!!

I've been thinking about picking up a Latch Lake Xtra Boom arm. It looks like it would be useful say if you were recording a singing guitar player. Are any folks here using the Xtra Boom this way? Which length do you find the most useful?
Thanks Al But my birthday isn't until Feb.

The Xtra Boom No ..... I just have a fairly nice single stand with a stereo bar So don't know if this will tell you anything but I have used the main LatchLake two different ways ,(,below)
I am guessing the sideways config below might lend itself more to the Xtra boom ? Or perhaps have the vocal mic upright, Having it overhead with the mic hanging down like I do, may not give enough room for the Xtra boom ?

Overhead with the mic down

Side ways with the mic rolled up at about a 45 degree angle
( have not made up my mind if I prefer one over the other )

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 01-14-2022 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

When I first got my latch Lake boom last year, I thought there was something wrong with it as it was so hard to angle the arm.
I called the company and said..."I am a pretty strong guy and it is tough angling this. I think something is too tight. How do I loosen it?"
They responded..."did you try it on the stand?...you need the leverage of the arm to move it. That is the way we designed it" Ha ha...they were so right...once I put it on the stand and moved it with the longer leverage it moves just fine."
I really appreciate this extra security of this boom arm. I use it with my heavier duty Atlas stand.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Very nice congrats
I have been using the the small latch on the extension arm to "keep" the cable as well and the final latch/ and mic attachment at the tip of the boom,,,, but just realized I had not been using the double mic cable keepers on the main boom to stand latch

Hi Kev,

Right, but even the two small latches also have the cable keepers. I imagine you saw those as well.

Rick
Old 01-27-2022, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Kev,

Right, but even the two small latches also have the cable keepers. I imagine you saw those as well.

Rick
Yes indeed. Gotta admit the design of this stand is very well thought out

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 01-27-2022, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Wow- I though I was ready for DownTown with my $100 K&M, but thats a BEAST! If I didnt need new tires for my jeep, Id consider one of those…
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 01-31-2022, 11:00 AM

Yes, very nice!

Old 10-07-2023, 10:28 AM

I was reading this thread again this morning, then checked the latest prices. Looks like their prices jumped up from $500 to $739 for the 2200 model. Wow!
Old 10-07-2023, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was reading this thread again this morning, then checked the latest prices. Looks like their prices jumped up from $500 to $739 for the 2200 model. Wow!
Yes seem like the last 6 -8 months have seen a big jump in some prices
I just ordered a .5 watt hand wired tube guitar amp that two months ago was $399 with shipping now it is $449

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-07-2023, 12:14 PM

Now that's a machine! Love it.
Old 10-08-2023, 12:33 AM
Charter Member

Interesting that I see this thread today. I have two of the $300 Ultimate stands that I got from Sweetwater for my 3lb-11oz Lauten Audio tube mics which are often needed to be at what might be considered an odd angle to get them parallel to the right or left side of Gee's accordion when double mic'ing.

Unfortunately the "Ultimate" stands are far from it. They are extremely top heavy with the casters installed as they are intended by the factory - I mean to the point of almost tipping - as the base of the stand is now 4" off the floor. Yikes. So I took some flat steel I had in the garage - approximately 3/16 x 1-1/2 x 10" and heated it up with my acetylene torch and bent into a sort of Z shaped bracket that moved each caster out about four inches and simultaneously dropped the base by 3-1/2". That modification drastically improved the stability and actually improved rollability as well.

Unfortunately that was the only thing I could fix permanently in a mic stand that is so poorly designed from the start. The main problem with the Ultimate stand is that for the vertical riser they properly use and aluminum collar to tighten the clutch that locks the vertical extension in place, but that same locking collar on the boom is made of plastic, which when tightened down to keep your expensive mic from twisting, will split sooner or later, and I split that sucker on two different stands.

Sweetwater replaced the first one under warranty but there are NO replacement parts available and the stand is not designed to be user serviceable anyway. You have to use either a heat gun or acetylene or propane torch to soften the glue or Loctite that they glue the end studs in with - you cannot remove the locking collars without removing the studs. And Ultimate, based in Missouri, simply doesn't care a whit and have zero interest in improving their product. Oh well. Sweetwater claims they have sold 133,000 of those.

So after all that I started researching what might be the best product for me, and while I did look at Latch Lake, and I loved that they were well designed and made in my home state of Minnesota, when I read about and watched all the videos from Triad-Orbit and decided that their system, and system is a very key word here, made the most sense for me, so, to that end and with the help of my rep at Sweetwater, Josh Hacker, who did his best (but not quite) make it as if I never bought the Ultimate stands, I have two of the Orbit stands arriving at my photo studio on Monday. Josh joked that I'll probably want to photograph parts of the Orbit after I put it all together and I'm sure I will. What I REALLY like is the pin locking system for the boom where you loosen the handle, pull the pin, reposition, insert the pin and then gently tighten the knob as there's no gorilla grip required to firmly lock it place.

Yes, they're expensive and I wasn't planning on three grand in stands on top of the $12K in new Fuji camera and lens between Sept and October, but like Latch Lake, the Triad-Orbit is built to last a lifetime. All of a sudden it's gotten super busy with recording sessions and photo sessions so I'll try and get some of these photos done in some sort of timely manner.
'02 Goodall GC
'20 Gibson Southern Jumbo
Deering Maple Blossom
'62 Danectro Longhorn Bass
UAD Apollo x8p, Apollo Twin
Genelec 8351B's Studio Monitors
Genelec 7370A Sub
Lauten Audio LT-386
Old 10-11-2023, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatchian View Post
Interesting that I see this thread today. I have two of the $300 Ultimate stands that I got from Sweetwater for my 3lb-11oz Lauten Audio tube mics which are often needed to be at what might be considered an odd angle to get them parallel to the right or left side of Gee's accordion when double mic'ing.

Unfortunately the "Ultimate" stands are far from it. They are extremely top heavy with the casters installed as they are intended by the factory - I mean to the point of almost tipping - as the base of the stand is now 4" off the floor. Yikes. So I took some flat steel I had in the garage - approximately 3/16 x 1-1/2 x 10" and heated it up with my acetylene torch and bent into a sort of Z shaped bracket that moved each caster out about four inches and simultaneously dropped the base by 3-1/2". That modification drastically improved the stability and actually improved rollability as well.

Unfortunately that was the only thing I could fix permanently in a mic stand that is so poorly designed from the start. The main problem with the Ultimate stand is that for the vertical riser they properly use and aluminum collar to tighten the clutch that locks the vertical extension in place, but that same locking collar on the boom is made of plastic, which when tightened down to keep your expensive mic from twisting, will split sooner or later, and I split that sucker on two different stands.

Sweetwater replaced the first one under warranty but there are NO replacement parts available and the stand is not designed to be user serviceable anyway. You have to use either a heat gun or acetylene or propane torch to soften the glue or Loctite that they glue the end studs in with - you cannot remove the locking collars without removing the studs. And Ultimate, based in Missouri, simply doesn't care a whit and have zero interest in improving their product. Oh well. Sweetwater claims they have sold 133,000 of those.

So after all that I started researching what might be the best product for me, and while I did look at Latch Lake, and I loved that they were well designed and made in my home state of Minnesota, when I read about and watched all the videos from Triad-Orbit and decided that their system, and system is a very key word here, made the most sense for me, so, to that end and with the help of my rep at Sweetwater, Josh Hacker, who did his best (but not quite) make it as if I never bought the Ultimate stands, I have two of the Orbit stands arriving at my photo studio on Monday. Josh joked that I'll probably want to photograph parts of the Orbit after I put it all together and I'm sure I will. What I REALLY like is the pin locking system for the boom where you loosen the handle, pull the pin, reposition, insert the pin and then gently tighten the knob as there's no gorilla grip required to firmly lock it place.

Yes, they're expensive and I wasn't planning on three grand in stands on top of the $12K in new Fuji camera and lens between Sept and October, but like Latch Lake, the Triad-Orbit is built to last a lifetime. All of a sudden it's gotten super busy with recording sessions and photo sessions so I'll try and get some of these photos done in some sort of timely manner.
Wow, which camera is that?
Old 10-11-2023, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wow, which camera is that?
Probably the Fuji GFX100 II. It's a medium format camera so you're already into mega bucks just to get your foot in the door. It has a 102mp sensor so if enlargements the size of a wall are your thing, that's the camera you want ...or if you're doing serious portrait work, landscapes, etc. I've never used anything like it but I'm not sure it would be a first choice for wildlife or sports (Sasq, correct me if I'm wrong). Just the camera body alone is $7500. Add a quality piece of glass and you're easily over $10K. It's a very nice bit of kit.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-11-2023, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Jim is correct. The new camera is the Fuji GFX100sII. I have two of the 100s v1 bodies which were $6K per camera and the new camera with a vastly improved Electronic Viewfinder which is also removable and rotatable is indeed $7,500. Between the four Fuji GF zoom lenses, the Fuji 250mm prime and a case full of Canon mount lenses from Canon and Sigma that adapt very well to the Fuji including the Sigma ART series 105mm f/1.4 and 135mm f/1.8, all of the Canon tilt-shift lenses plus the venerable Canon 200mm f/1.8 and 500mm f/4 IS, well that all adds up quickly and I expect the new Fuji 30mm tilt-shift to be in stock before the end of the month, and that one is a cool $4K.

And then there's the crazy Rodenstock 105mm f/5.6 APO Macro FLOAT lens with which I shoot a lot of macro on a focusing bellows. That lens, well, I've never seen anything like it - is THE sharpest lens I've ever used but that performance does not come cheap at somewhere around $6K for that lens today. I typically do a lot of multi image focus stacking on macro and near macro subject with sometimes as many as 250 slices of focus per shot.

The new GFX MKII has improved dynamic range at ISO 40 and 80, shoots up to 8 FPS and much improved video function, but all this comes in a professional package with a very steep learning curve.

I unpacked and set up one of the Orbit mic stands yesterday. Now that's a heavy duty stand.
'02 Goodall GC
'20 Gibson Southern Jumbo
Deering Maple Blossom
'62 Danectro Longhorn Bass
UAD Apollo x8p, Apollo Twin
Genelec 8351B's Studio Monitors
Genelec 7370A Sub
Lauten Audio LT-386

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD