The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-26-2017, 05:50 AM

I appreciate the reply's here gang. Thanks for offering your perspective as it is very helpful. I do understand there is a level of subjectivity to these types of discussions but feel they are valuable nonetheless. Feel free to keep the comments/advice coming. It is clear I need to find some shops to compare different builds with McPherson to really see what I think. If there is anyone that knows of a few places near MN, that would be great! Thanks!
Old 11-26-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
The single mcpherson i have played was very muted when played. One of the least responsive solid wood guitars i have played. It may be an outlier and other McPhersons may be much better.
Couldn't agree more. I've owned a lot of very nice guitars, and have tried a couple McPhersons. Have never understood the hype on them, and especially at those prices. No thanks.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:28 AM

I always wanted to try one. After the price increase a few years back, I'm not quite willing to pay that without trying one first.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schzacj View Post
Hello all, I have recently been in the market for a McPherson Guitar but have run into a few people telling me to keep my Collings dreads and Martins or others as I would be disappointed by the McPherson. I was looking at 4.0-5.0 sizes and have always been a dread or Taylor grand symphony size body player with an emphasis on strumming vs finger picking. I was curious to know from those who have owned and sold why? Or from those who “upgraded” and kept them. I currently have a Collings CW, Collings D2H Torrefied, Taylor 810e, Martin HD-28V and a Martin D18 but have owned a host of other acoustics along the way as well. I know it is always a matter of personal preference but I am genuinely interested in your personal preferences and why you kept or why you sold! Thanks!
I've owned a few Martins and played a few McPherson's. For the most part they occupy two distinct types and price points.

I have never played a McPherson I felt was inferior to a Martin.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 11-26-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
The single mcpherson i have played was very muted when played. One of the least responsive solid wood guitars i have played. It may be an outlier and other McPhersons may be much better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcKee View Post
Couldn't agree more. I've owned a lot of very nice guitars, and have tried a couple McPhersons. Have never understood the hype on them, and especially at those prices. No thanks.
Likewise, I played a McPherson once and found it dull and unresponsive. Exact opposite to my Lowden, which comes to life at the slightest touch. It's a matter of taste, I guess, but I just couldn't see how the McPherson I tried could even come close to justifying its price.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:00 AM

Built like a tank is not a good selling point for an acoustic guitar
Old 11-26-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Built like a tank is not a good selling point for an acoustic guitar
Actually it is, if the maker can still impart good sound. Although many on this thread have said they don't like the sound of McPhersons (that is always a very subjective thing which is why a person should always play many brands/models and figure out what they like for themselvers), others, like myself do like their sound...in my case, hugely.
Some have said that they sound dull. Of the many, many McPs I've played, all have had good to marvelous tone and sustain.

On thinking about this thread a thought came to mind. McPs I'm told are placed in guitar stores essentially on consignment basis and because of price, they don't move fast. I wonder if those who said they sound dull, if that might not be because they get played a lot, but the stores don't change their strings. I've played a bunch right at the factory and at a store not too far away, that moves McPs perhaps quicker than some other stores. All sounded nothing short of marvelous to my ear.

I've also personally known a couple of guitar players who pooh-poohed McPs I believe because (I know) they knew they'd never be able to afford one. I've seen that factor come into play with guitars, expensive custom shotguns and many other products. I'm not saying that is universal, but in some cases, if you can't afford a product, you denigrate it.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

I had a 5.0 in flamed hog that I absolutely loved. Plugged in it was absolute magic. I only sold because I had an opportunity to pick up a 000 Kim Walker 12 fret. The Walker is wonderful but I still miss the McPherson and can honestly say that it is the only guitar that I have sellers regret on.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I appreciate the reply's here gang. Thanks for offering your perspective as it is very helpful. I do understand there is a level of subjectivity to these types of discussions but feel they are valuable nonetheless. Feel free to keep the comments/advice coming. It is clear I need to find some shops to compare different builds with McPherson to really see what I think. If there is anyone that knows of a few places near MN, that would be great! Thanks!
I don't know at what price points you could get on An OLSON guitar for (new or used), but Jim OLSON has a great reputation for building stellar guitars and I believe he is in MN still... (Circle Pines).. and used ones pop up every now and then.
He is a great guy to talk with too..very low key and down to earth. You might owe it to yourself to check one out...Phil Keaggy, James Taylor, and Paul McCartney are happy owners.

http://olsonguitars.com/the-art/guitar-models/

6 string... Taylor GS7 Custom / GO 818e 1st Edition

12 string... Taylor GO 358e / Guild F512 (79)

Baritone…. Guild 258e (8 string)

Last edited by jemartin; 11-26-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:10 AM

I never had any particular desire to own a McPherson guitar but i was glad to have had the chance to play one so that i can experience playing one. While that one was disappointing, perhaps it was a bad one and i would like to have the chance to play another one one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
Actually it is, if the maker can still impart good sound. Although many on this thread have said they don't like the sound of McPhersons (that is always a very subjective thing which is why a person should always play many brands/models and figure out what they like for themselvers), others, like myself do like their sound...in my case, hugely.
Some have said that they sound dull. Of the many, many McPs I've played, all have had good to marvelous tone and sustain.

On thinking about this thread a thought came to mind. McPs I'm told are placed in guitar stores essentially on consignment basis and because of price, they don't move fast. I wonder if those who said they sound dull, if that might not be because they get played a lot, but the stores don't change their strings. I've played a bunch right at the factory and at a store not too far away, that moves McPs perhaps quicker than some other stores. All sounded nothing short of marvelous to my ear.

I've also personally known a couple of guitar players who pooh-poohed McPs I believe because (I know) they knew they'd never be able to afford one. I've seen that factor come into play with guitars, expensive custom shotguns and many other products. I'm not saying that is universal, but in some cases, if you can't afford a product, you denigrate it.

Last edited by gitarro; 11-26-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:13 AM

Okay, this is a divergent thread. I’ve owned a 1980
Taylor 815, Larrivee Brazilian D-04, Martin D-28
Clarence White, 1995 Breedlove C5-Koa, two Lowdens, a 93 O23, 95 F12,
and have a spanking new Eastman E20D, which is a cannon.
But those Lowdens are in my mind and heart like an old lover. I hope I live long enough to acquire an O23c.
They really are unlike any other acoustic out there.
[emoji1365]❤️
1968 Gibson EB3
2010 Hofner Club Bass
Old 11-26-2017, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don’t know why exactly to be honest. I have always thought the design was unique and different, the tone woods always look amazing and the sound from a few I played seemed great. It’s more of a G.A.S. Thing I’m sure
If unusual designs are your thing, maybe I suggest looking at Klein? They're being built again, and their tone is fantastic.

Kleincommunity.com

https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/builders/klein.html
Old 11-26-2017, 02:25 PM

I have owned 4 McPhersons. I still have two.

The tone debate is always based on personal objective opinion so I won't comment on this area other than to say mine all sounded like high end guitars. If you are looking for a clean sound through a PA bingo. Bobs you uncle (British slang for you found what you want).

Build quality is excellent. Lots of touring pros get them because they hold tune, don't react much to temp and humidity, and aren't finicky plugging into PAs. Hard to go wrong with a guitar that sounds nice, keeps tune, works well with PAs and the neck doesn't move.

Having said all that, I bought my McPhersons back when they were priced starting at $4400 up to I paid $9000 for a Brazilian/flamed redwood unit. Current prices get you into the realm of Ryan and Olson and other small luthiers that I personally would rather have at that price point.

So end of story, IMO, they are great guitars. But the new price point doesn't make them a value in my eyes.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:29 PM

McPhersons weigh as much as all your guitars put together. I was shocked when I picked it up.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
http://mcphersonguitars.com/find-a-dealer/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bourgeois, collings, kinnairs, mcpherson, santa cruz