The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-08-2017, 04:42 PM

Default Help finding thumpy strings for flat picking (not bright!)

Hi, (first post, folks) I recently bought a used epiphone slope shoulder dreadnought aj220s that came with a set of old strings that gave it a wonderful thumpy , mellow, woody sound but when I swapped them out for daddario phosphor bronze lights, it now sounds way too bright for my liking. I
Im looking for strings that have that thumpy, smooth mellow sound like early, j45 era dylan for flat picking. I suppose I prefer dead-ish sounding strings in general. Would elixir poly webs be the strings for me? Can anyone recommend strings that aren't too bright that would provide that "thump" I'm looking for? Thanks.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:44 PM

I'd try Retro Monels. Not dead sounding but very fundamental in tone and a more powerful, projective sound. They tend not to add a lot to the guitar sound. Much less bright than any PB or 80/20 variant.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

D'Addario Flat Tops. They have the added benefit of reducing squeak noise (though some people may like squeaks).
Old 05-08-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I'd try Retro Monels. Not dead sounding but very fundamental in tone and a more powerful, projective sound. They tend not to add a lot to the guitar sound. Much less bright than any PB or 80/20 variant.
Yep, these went on a bright guitar and they literally changed the guitar's tone, not it's voice, but tone. They need a few hours to mellow out and then they're good.
If you want "dead" those aforementioned flat tops will do it. I had them on for about five minutes and they were removed.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-08-2017, 05:02 PM

You might simply put on a set of noncoated PB strings and wait for them to get thumpy. I know exactly the sound you're talking about...that's usually a sign for me to change out my strings.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slophand View Post
.....came with a set of old strings that gave it a wonderful thumpy, mellow, woody sound......
Key words there are "old strings". I too prefer that dry, thumpy sound from old strings and there's not a set of new strings out there that recreate it. Just gotta be patient and play that new set in until it gets where you like it.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:19 PM

DR Rares might be worth a try.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc-a-Roo View Post
Key words there are "old strings". I too prefer that dry, thumpy sound from old strings and there's not a set of new strings out there that recreate it. Just gotta be patient and play that new set in until it gets where you like it.
Yeah, half of my brain was thinking that and the other half didn't want to believe it. Haha. I will try to get my greasy mits on those strings as much as possible and strangle them into submission before I swap sets. Thank you.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:37 PM

Thank you all for your replies. This is a great forum, u guys are prompt! I'm gonna research all of the aforementioned string options. Cheers.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:39 PM

I don't like bright either. I like Martin M130 Silk and Steel for that, but they feel a little sticky for sliding. The Flat tops do sound pretty good right away but mine didn't last long at all.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 05-08-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
I don't like bright either. I like Martin M130 Silk and Steel for that, but they feel a little sticky for sliding. The Flat tops do sound pretty good right away but mine didn't last long at all.
I've been considering silk and steel type strings for fingerpicking applications . Another option to consider. Thank you.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:50 PM

I used to feel the exact same way. I guess I just got used to the twang.

Old strings just don't seem to stay in tune as well though.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:11 PM

Nickel Bronze by D'Addario. A friend of mine, Bob Minner, the acoustic guitar player for Tim McGraw's band plays them almost exclusively. Excellent for bluegrass flat-pickers.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
Nickel Bronze by D'Addario. A friend of mine, Bob Minner, the acoustic guitar player for Tim McGraw's band plays them almost exclusively. Excellent for bluegrass flat-pickers.
Another member said those had more zing than the Retros.
I just don't know what to think anymore.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-08-2017, 06:29 PM

Try Rotosound Jumbo Kings
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
aj220s, dylan, epiphone, j45, strings