The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2016, 07:59 AM

Well I'm a little biased as you can see from the guitars listed in my signature, but an Eastman E10SS is a great option. Its my traveling, campfire, bar gig guitar, and I put a K&K pure mini in it. It sounds absolutely beautiful acoustic or plugged in- its just as great as my Advanced Jumbo and J35 and better than any standard J45 I've personally come across (of course this is all from my own experience). I originally got it as a "beater" but it's so good that I take really good care of it! Be careful though, as you may end up liking it more than your J15

Of course the E10SS is far from "laminate" as it boasts solid mahogany b/s and an Adirondack top. But it's a great guitar that can be had in your price range if you talk to a dealer. I scored a stupid deal on mine as a factory second with a finish flaw that I simply covered up with a J35 pick guard.
“One who is content with what he has, and who accepts the fact that he inevitably misses very much in life, is far better off than one who has much more but who worries about all he may be missing." -Thomas Merton
Old 06-24-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
Disagree. Unless you're playing concerts the average audience member doesn't care what guitar you're playing as long as you're playing the songs he wants to hear. The possible exception is the guitarist or two in the audience who will comment on my Taylor or whatever; but having been in many such audiences I have heard many low end instruments perform well in the hands of someone who knew what he was doing. I don't think it makes a difference as long as you are comfortable with the sound and feel of the instrument.
I agree. Most people won't notice the difference in sound between a $200 guitar and a $2000 guitar. That's my experience.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
For me, any guitar that is a great acoustic guitar, is a good gigging guitar.
Yes, yes, YES!
Old 06-24-2016, 09:51 AM

+1 for Yamaha ls6. If you want really cheap but nice guitar center has a deal on the yamaha fsx700sc for 199.

Breedlove Cascade C25/cre
Fender PM1 Deluxe
Yamaha ll16R A.R.E.
Martin Dread Jr E Sitka

Eastman Cello
Old 06-24-2016, 10:04 AM

FWIW, my wife and I both play out and jam at campgrounds and take our premiere instruments to do so (two of her flutes are $6K each). We have an "all risk" rider on the homeowner's insurance that cover them 24/7 even away from home, for ~$120 per year.

You will always enjoy playing your better guitar more, even if the audience does not know or appreciate the difference. (Except for guitar geeks like us, they don't care).
Old 06-24-2016, 10:09 AM

As a mandolin player, I find this interesting. On the one hand, I gig all the time with a $5000 mandolin and don't think twice. On the other hand, I have listened to enough of my live music to recognize that from the audience perspective, the difference between my $5000 Ellis and a $1000 Kentucky is pretty minimal once it has been pushed through a PA. Acoustic amplification is much better than it was 10 years ago, but it still has a long way to go.

My first thought was a Takamine Pro series, although the electronics aren't as inconspicuous as you would like. They run about $900 new, but you might find a used one under $800. My second thought was a Martin DRS2 or DCPA5K, both should be in your price range. I think the best answer might be a Taylor 214ce DLX, but that is a $1200 guitar. However, a 114ce is just a little under $800.

edit: I just saw your preference for a sunburst. I think an Eastman E10SS with a K&K Pure Mini and a preamp would be the best way to go. Someone else mentioned this in a previous post. A used E10SS and a K&K would fit all of your requirements.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:21 AM

I do not have it yet, but when I was looking the Yamaha A3R fit much of what you were describing. As I want sunburst as well, I am waiting on the order. Due sometime next week or so.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyboy2024 View Post
Well I'm a little biased as you can see from the guitars listed in my signature, but an Eastman E10SS is a great option. Its my traveling, campfire, bar gig guitar, and I put a K&K pure mini in it. It sounds absolutely beautiful acoustic or plugged in- its just as great as my Advanced Jumbo and J35 and better than any standard J45 I've personally come across (of course this is all from my own experience). I originally got it as a "beater" but it's so good that I take really good care of it! Be careful though, as you may end up liking it more than your J15

Of course the E10SS is far from "laminate" as it boasts solid mahogany b/s and an Adirondack top. But it's a great guitar that can be had in your price range if you talk to a dealer. I scored a stupid deal on mine as a factory second with a finish flaw that I simply covered up with a J35 pick guard.
+1 on the Eastman E10SS. I'm shocked at how good it is.

Last edited by The Kid!; 07-24-2016 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:07 AM

If your into Gibson, then I would stick with a Gibson instead of an epi. Maybe try finding something used.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:11 AM

On Guitar Center's used website there are a couple of Hummingbirds for $1499, also 1 with a cutaway for $1399
Old 06-26-2016, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

This is one big reason I have guitars from 1965, 1970, and 1980. One more ding isn't going to matter much.

Get a Guild D 25, 35, or 40 from the early 70s, put a K&K in it, and have the best of both worlds. No sunburst though.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-26-2016, 02:27 PM

If I had $500 I'd be checking out this Yamaha LL6M.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LL6M

According to Yamaha it has "A passive SRT Zero Impact Pickup uses six separate elements to detect each string and give you authentic plugged-in tones."

I am guessing that means there is only an output jack at the strap holder. It appears that way in the photo. You can then use a pre-amp if you want.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:27 PM

As already mentioned- Yamaha is a very good choice.
Takamine's have excellent plugged-in sound and are used by many pros too.
The suggestion for a used Guild is also a good one. Will take a lickin' & keep on tickin'!

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 06-30-2016, 02:37 PM

The worst thing you can ever say in a bar is "You should see the guitars I have at home." That'll alienate yer audience in a hurry. Buy what you use but most of all use what you buy.

rct
Old 06-30-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalkingsausage View Post
I'm really jonesin for a less expensive guitar for gigging primarily. I need discrete electronics that don't stick out of the side of the guitar, Something that has good sound quality, a sunburst finish is a plus, and I love my slope shoulder Gibson.

Was wondering, Has anyone played one of the latest Epiphone texan reissues? I have several Epi dealers Nobody in my area seems to stock them. How would you say they stack up to a J15 or some of the lower end taylors or martins that are available. Realistically I would probably need to stay in the sub $800 range.

Thanks for reading!
I actually played one of those Texans today. I liked it! Didn't get a chance to plug it in but it actually played really well. My other acoustic is a Martin 00-17SM and I play it at a open mic in a biker bar near my house. Kinda scary actually. So I'm looking to keep my baby at home.

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
1964, epiphone, gibson, inspired by, texan