The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-30-2016, 03:47 PM

Default Advice on Furch Millennium series and Koa

Hi,
I am on the lookout for getting a more high-quality instrument than my current trusty recording king ro-16 (000 body size). I have been looking around and trying all kinds of different makes and sizes, and I think I have narrowed my new buy down to Furch's Millennium series, as they are good value in Europe where I live, and beautiful guitars. I am leaning towards the Grand Auditorium shape (their 'G' shape).

I should say that I am primarily a fingerpicker with a quite soft touch, and often use the guitar to accompany singing.

Thus I am now zooming in on their G25-SR, with sitka/rosewood, which seems balanced and nice. I have heard a video with a G25-CK (Cedar/Koa), though, and I have to say the sound is pretty spectacular. That is a custom wood combination, though, so not available to try in shops. Furch also have a G24-SK (Sitka/Koa) standard model, but I cannot really tell from recordings if the sound is as good. It is also very much more expensive.

I cannot play any of the models in my country, though I may go to Prague to buy the guitar, where they have a good selection. (I am aware that the final decision should always be made with the guitar in hand). Still, I would like to have an idea before I go.

Any advice on the SK vs the SR wood choices? (and perhaps SK vs CK?). And with the very steep prices for Koa, which may be more expensive than actually good (?), are the 24-SK guitars still good value? And any general advice or considerations on the G25-SR? My one worry is that the guitar may be slightly too shrill, but I cannot seem to make up my mind.

Thanks a lot!
Old 04-12-2016, 01:37 PM

Bump, bump?
Old 04-12-2016, 02:41 PM

I used to own a Furch G23-CRC which was rosewood back and sides with a cedar top. The thing sounded fantastic and I really recommend Furch! I had to return it due to a slight crack in the top but it was one of the best acoustics I've ever played. And at the prices Furch charge you can't go wrong!
Old 04-12-2016, 03:15 PM

Default Advice on Furch Millennium series and Koa

I wouldn't worry about it being too shrill. The GA shape with a spruce and rosewood combination is hard to beat. The current range of Millenium series guitars is just stunning - and getting to try various models out in Prague is surely an experience with it for itself!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 04-12-2016, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Every furch I have ever played has sounded fantastic. I do not have much experience with their Koa built guitars but I have been to the shop in Prague. They have a fantastic inventory so you should be able sample most models and wood combinations

Good luck
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 04-13-2016, 07:04 AM

Thank you .-)
Old 05-16-2016, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswilson89 View Post
I used to own a Furch G23-CRC which was rosewood back and sides with a cedar top. The thing sounded fantastic and I really recommend Furch! I had to return it due to a slight crack in the top but it was one of the best acoustics I've ever played. And at the prices Furch charge you can't go wrong!
I played one of these over the weekend and it started up a fresh and unexpected case of G.A.S. - i don't own any cedar topped guitars and that's the first reason I can give myself to go back and play it again.

I was doing an a/b comparison to my H&D to be sure I didn't duplicate the sound of something Ialready own.

The Furch has such a warm sound while being quite responsive, and I found the overall tone to be full and balanced and those are the second and tried reasons to go back and play it again. in a few weeks.

and it's a cutaway, which I don't own in an acoustic, reason # four.

is this where i should go re-read the open mic post on self control, i wonder.....hahahaha

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 05-16-2016, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

I have a G24CR and love it. I haven't played a G25CK, but I have played Calum Graham's G24SK. Not sure about the price/value, but the G24SK is a fantastic guitar regardless. I still preferred the cedar/rosewood combination. Definitely try to make it out to Prague to try them!
Old 05-16-2016, 07:39 PM

I've just recently discovered the Furch line, and I am absolutely blown away by everything I've seen and heard. Amazing build quality from their lower priced models on up to the higher end. And there's something in the tone, something I've not heard in other guitars before....it grabbed me and won't let go!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2016, 10:01 PM

Koa is over hyped. I bought a Koa Goodall hoping it's would sound incredible but it turned out to be mediocre and now I'm trying to sell it. I'm more than pleased with my cedar/rosewood Furch baritone
Bedell TB 18G
Bedell TB 28 G 12 string
Bedell Performance Plus JB-52-12-G
Eastman AC 420

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
cedar, furch, koa, rosewood