The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-17-2022, 03:27 AM

Default Up to 1000 Euro "soft" sounding dreadnought for strumming

I am new to acoustic steel string guitars but i'am playing e-guitar since nearly 20 years.

I tried some yamaha first: FX370C and FGX800C, i liked the FX370 more because of the sound of the high strings but overall it does not sound that great.

Next was a Takamine GD51 and i really like that guitar, it has this soft "silky" sounding high strings but after i tried more expensive guitars i noticed that the low strings don't sound as good.
Takamine GD93, Guild D-140 SB Westerly - missing the silky high string sound.
Larry Carlton A4-G - Sounded awful with the factory strings, so i sent it back

Now i have an Eastman E1D and an Alvarez MD60BG here, which i agree are great guitars but i again miss this silky high string sound. Also some chords don't sound as good on the MD60BG as on other guitars.

I fear many here don't even know what i am talking about as we all have different tastes and hear different, so i have two sound examples.
But read this first please: The recordings are not great, the playing is not great etc. It just is a comparison between different styles.

soft
https://soundcloud.com/user-22893802...social_sharing

hard (mic too close to the soundhole, i know)
https://soundcloud.com/user-22893802...social_sharing

I just want the "soft" sound with a higher quality but i am unable to find it.
There is a "Takamine EF360GF Glenn Frey" which might be interesting for me but i was not able to try it and it is a little bit too expensive.
Old 07-17-2022, 05:17 AM

That Eastman and Alvarez are both fantastic guitars in that price range. I suggest you try different strings. Perhaps 80/20s would be more to your liking. Also remember they will change over time so do not judge until you have played them for a few weeks.
Old 07-18-2022, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

It is challenging to describe the tone that you want as well as the tone that you are hearing in your head. There are a few experiments that you can do with each of these guitars to see what might shift the tone a bit more to your liking.
One, as has been mentioned, are strings. You might try GHS Americana strings and GHS Vintage Bronze. The Americana’s kind of split the difference between phosphor bronze and 80/20s to my ear. Then there is the difference between light gauge strings and medium gauge. These experiments allow you to hear these minor differences with each guitar.
The other thing that can affect tone is the pick that you are using or, if playing with just fingers, how much nail you have. In terms of picks, pick material can make subtle differences as can pick gauge so, again, some experimentation can give you some valuable information about what is possible with the guitars that you have and shaping the tone to your liking. Casein picks are generally a bit warmer and thicker picks tend to generate a warmer tone.
Obviously, it does start with the guitar and if it is an overly bright or overly dark sounding guitar out of the gate, string and pick choice can only do so much. But, it is worth playing around with as you get to know these two guitars better. Good luck in your explorations.
Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
dreadnought, silky, soft, strumming